v2.2.8 Development

TechAngel85

Funny I had to do the opposite. I tried 64/2000 like in Boris ini's and I had a lot of stuttering. Went back to 256/6144 and they (almost) all disappeared.

That is indeed expected behaviour. Boris says though that with regards to reservedmemory, setting it too high reduces stutter but may also increase the chance for CTDs. 

So one should start with 64, see if it stutters. If it does, increase to 128, 256 etc. until stutter stop. This is the best procedure to find the optimal value, assuming you have correct values set in the other parameters.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I updated that post with additional information (also corrected any of my previous misinformation).

If anyone would kindly be willing to go through this testing and report back, it would be a big help in preventing me from overcomplicating the updated STEP Guide as well as preventing spread of more misinformation :P

I've noticed that I have to use ENB vsync and FPS limiter together or I get screen tearing. With skyrim's vsync and ENB FPS limiter there was tearing. With driver FPS limiter and skyrim vsync there was no tearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have since learned that FPS limit + vsync = unnecessary/bad (see my modified monster post above with links to good info)

Interesting. I will have to experiment with lower values I think.

Z - that's what may have been causing your stuttering!

Nope, not at all. I was getting microstutter previous to using any ENB.

Could someone please read the post above and confirm my findings under different GPU/RAM?

Well, for what it's worth, I never had any stuttering in Skyrim when NOT using ENB. The cause of stuttering issues tend to be different depending on type of card and/or individual system configurations. I know at the AMD boards some people have huge problems with a particular model while others have no issues with the same model (and same game).

In my experience on my HD6950, some vsync software works better than others, but this is also circumstantial. For instance, RadeonPro Vsync is superb for most games but with ME3 (or Skyrim) I cannot use radeonpro vsync because there is still tearing even though the fps is at 60. With regards to ENB vsync, if I use ENBoost but do NOT enable the ENB vsync ánd leave the game's vsync (ipresentinterval) enabled, then the result is screen tearing all over the place. Stutter on my system is completely dependent on the memory settings I choose for ENBoost.

For me the stuttering started when I've started using MemPatch 3.0... Never experienced it before. I recently lowered down my ENB Local ini settings to mirror my VRAM (2048) and the stuttering stopped.

Funny I had to do the opposite. I tried 64/2000 like in Boris ini's and I had a lot of stuttering. Went back to 256/6144 and they (almost) all disappeared.

ReservedMemorySzieMB purports to somewhat optimize or reduce FPS, shich can cause stuttering, but that kind of stuttering is memory related and more classic stuttering. I am talking about 'microstutter', which is frame-rate sync related and manifests as jerky camera movement, somewhat reminiscent of watching movement under a strobe light. Very different, but equally inconvenient.

That is indeed expected behaviour. Boris says though that with regards to reservedmemory, setting it too high reduces stutter but may also increase the chance for CTDs

So one should start with 64, see if it stutters. If it does, increase to 128, 256 etc. until stutter stop. This is the best procedure to find the optimal value, assuming you have correct values set in the other parameters.

ReservedMemorySzieMB whould be 64 for 2 GB+ VRAM cards and 128 for 1 GB VRAM cards (per Boris). This should not vary much, and the other VRAM setting is probably more important for stuttering.

That is indeed expected behaviour. Boris says though that with regards to reservedmemory, setting it too high reduces stutter but may also increase the chance for CTDs. 

Ah thanks for the precision, that is the best explanation I've read so far. I'm going to try with 128 and the correct amount of VRAM.

I haven't been following this thread, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this - but I would recommend changing the note regarding "Daedric Armor & Weapons" in the step guide to be a little more forceful in asserting that the .esp should not be used -- I just noticed the .esp is actually corrupted, so it's essential that it needs to be disabled.

Okay, so I need someone with a Nvidia card to open up Nvidia Inspector and then find the TESV profile, just type 'EL' into the profile bar, then tell me what settings you have for Vertical Sync.

I need to know exactly what the options are or take a screen shot of the drop down for me. Also tell me what card it is.