v2.2.8 Development

TechAngel85

Keep in mind that since we use a wiki-based Guide, certain updates are best done to the live guide without version update. These would be text changes and fixes. Mod-list changes or paradigm changes cause version updates, so we must keep them separate. The only other way I can see doing this would be by using a "Current Version Changelog" in addition to the version changelog. This is possible, but a PITA at the moment.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't get me wrong, I didn't want you to change the way you work in any way.

I created a new template which will show you the latest version on each vX.X changelog page: "(to latest changelog)" . see https://wiki.step-project.com/Changelog/2.0.0 for an example. To keep maintenance work low, the template will automatically recognize the latest release and mark it with "(latest release)"

It's also a bit confusing of you visit(ed) the

https://wiki.step-project.com/Changelog

page and there are already 2.2.8 and 2.3. I would propose a "net yet released" banner for clarification

2.2.8 and 2.3.0 are consider "dev" (development) changelogs. We have many users that like to keep up with these Dev changelogs so they can make the changes before the actual release. I think it would suffice to put up a notice at the top (like the Dev Guide has) stating the Dev changelogs are just that; developmental.

As for your added feature, I'll defer to Z on that as well as my idea of marking the dev changelogs as such similar to the dev Guide.

don't get me wrong, I didn't want you to change the way you work in any way.

I created a new template which will show you the latest version on each vX.X changelog page: "(to latest changelog)" . see https://wiki.step-project.com/Changelog/2.0.0 for an example. To keep maintenance work low, the template will automatically recognize the latest release and mark it with "(latest release)"

It's also a bit confusing of you visit(ed) the

https://wiki.step-project.com/Changelog

page and there are already 2.2.8 and 2.3. I would propose a "net yet released" banner for clarification

This is still problematic ... I see what you are saying with regard to future changelogs (2.3.0 is not even needed yet).

I suppose I'll mess with this :/

I would say that, that would be viable. There are few users who use cards with less than 2GB VRAM and an even smaller proportion that have less than 1GB.

On the other side of that I think it would be helpful for us to include some lower VRAM alternatives to textures such as Vanilla Reduced Textures or the other guy's low VRAM mod,

I think we can mention some the of texture mods that reduce VRAM use even more than baseline STEP; the issue for me (and likely tech) is testing. Currently we do testing that covers systems with 1Gb VRAM cards and ones with 2Gb or greater VRAM. If we need to test texture quality and quality/VRAM tradeoffs for low end systems, and not just mention possibilities for additional VRAM reduction, it would be a lot of extra work.

Question... I just want confirmation on this before going forward. Are we now officially supporting 2K textures as the baseline for interior textures and 1K textures for exteriors?

Yes, and we can even recommend up to 4k textures for interiors where they exist (if they don't stick out too much).

STEP will only now officially support systems with 1GB of VRAM and over. I'm just seek confirmation from the admin/senior staff.

Correct. As Kelmych stated, I thin that we can put together a low-end STEP Guide later and incorporate alt3rn1ty's low-res vanilla textures and the like, but as long as we have volunteers willing to work on patches and ASI for STEP, we should make it simple and tighten up Baseline, supporting 1 GB VRAM and above and STEP:Core Baseline.

I think we can mention some the of texture mods that reduce VRAM use even more than baseline STEP; the issue for me (and likely tech) is testing. Currently we do testing that covers systems with 1Gb VRAM cards and ones with 2Gb or greater VRAM. If we need to test texture quality and quality/VRAM tradeoffs for low end systems' date=' and not just mention possibilities for additional VRAM reduction, it would be a lot of extra work.[/quote']

As Z stated above, I think putting together a low-end system Guide later would be best. I'll be able to help with this when that time comes. My laptop now I would consider a mid-range system; however, when I get my tax returns I'll be building a new higher-end desktop and switching laptops with a friend. His laptop is lower-end than my current one. Thus, my main system will be the new higher-end desktop, but having his lower-end laptop will enable me to test for lower-end systems fairly well. I know for a fact, his laptop can not run a full STEP installation; therefore, it should be ideal for the job. I don't know if anyone else have lower-end systems setting around to help with that testing though.

+1 for a future low end system guide.

This day and age, even a low income job can provide enough pocket money over a few weeks to put together a middling range pc that can handle S.T.E.P. The way I see it, if you cannot afford to build a pc with halfway decent hardware then you shouldn't be at home gaming too much anyway. (yes i know there are exceptions to this, disabled etc)

While I think it's reasonable to give requirenments for a STEP baseline installation, I strongly would recommend some "low end" guide. While it is true that PCs get cheaper and faster all the time, there are many PC players who don't have high end rigs. Especially in the last years, where console games didn't advance in graphics (because XBox 360 and PS3 wouldn't be able to handle it) and many new games run perfectly fine on (so called) low end systems.

You'll probably reduce your target group if you would leave them out completely. So: "yes" for a pure baseline guide IF there will be a performance oriented guide later on.

On the other hand, 90% performance hogs are texture mods. So a performance guide would basically contain s.th. like "no SRO etc." + some performance mods and maybe leaving out some very CPU intensive mods - shouldn't be that hard.

Low end guide will be fairly simple to create as a Pack. this will be the only exception to the general rule that STEP:Core be a prerequisite. It will not, as there will be almost complete overlap but for a few mods in the performance guide. This guide will go into detail about constraining textures to 1k and even 512 MB, depending.

Something to address later on though unless someone wants to begin constructing the Pack (then we can all pitch in to flesh it out). I suggest beginning with STEP:Core mods to start (or maybe say "install all STEP:Core mods EXCEPT ...") Just post it on the Pack forums please if anyone wants to get started on this ;)