v2.2.8 Development

TechAngel85

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to pour out some joy here as well. :)

I just finished installing STEP 2.2.8 in its current, unfinished state (not yet fully functional STEP patch), using HQ options. I whipped up a savegame with 100+ player hours, a half-messed up 2.2.7 install and assumed it would be pretty much unplayable - it was already becoming unstable back then.

My jaw has officially dropped: I managed a complete tour of the lands without a hitch. All major holds included, at speedmult 500. FPS stayed at 60 the whole time, except during cell loads. And all I have is a i3570k CPU, GTX 770 GPU and an old SSD with both Windows and Skyrim on it.

One word: IMPRESSIVE! <3

I feel that STEP Patches additional instructions are somewhat confusing, specially at the Wrye Bash tip. Since the guide is adopting MO, there should be an update to it. What checkboxes ?

I think you should separate the patches for Core and Extended. It will be more user friendly.

1. STEP Patches (Core only)

2. STEP Patches (Extended) ---> Note: Could be complicated.

Also, if using extended, should leave a note that the patch is for the FULL extended installation, as well for core.

Just wanted to pour out some joy here as well. :)

I just finished installing STEP 2.2.8 in its current, unfinished state (not yet fully functional STEP patch), using HQ options. I whipped up a savegame with 100+ player hours, a half-messed up 2.2.7 install and assumed it would be pretty much unplayable - it was already becoming unstable back then.

My jaw has officially dropped: I managed a complete tour of the lands without a hitch. All major holds included, at speedmult 500. FPS stayed at 60 the whole time, except during cell loads. And all I have is a i3570k CPU, GTX 770 GPU and an old SSD with both Windows and Skyrim on it.

One word: IMPRESSIVE!

Thanks for confirming that it works!

Next questions:

• Was it easier to follow 2.2.8 than previous versions?
  • Did you follow 2.2.8 exactly, or did you use it more as a guided setup?

I just finished installing STEP 2.2.8

Next questions:

The 2.2.8 guide is in much better shape than 2.2.7 ever was. :)

I used the entire STEP 2.2.8 Extended almost to the letter, selecting HQ options wherever possible. I did add Clothing and Clutter fixes and replaced Ars Metallica with Complete Crafting Overhaul, so the STEP patch wouldn't work for me anyway. Next step is to create my own, personal STEP patch by combining some .esp files in Tes5edit.

The guide is still missing a short clarification about patches in general: while you DO have to follow the installation order for mods in general, patches that are specific to conflict resolution can only be installed but NOT enabled until the mod that specific patch is for has been installed. Trying to benchmark STEP after 2.D. Fixes will cause a CTD otherwise, and will continue to do so until 2.M. Gameplay mods have been installed. However, there's no need for the user to worry about .esp sorting mid-install (missed this clarification, badly, during 2.2.7 install), just use BOSS for it if benchmarking is required. A short notice after each section about which .esp files are safe to activate at that point would be nice.

Skyfalls & Skymills and Improved Closefaced Helmets have .esp files that BOSS doesn't currently recognize, a short notice about possibly needing BUM for these two could also be in order.

Quick edit: Real beginners to modding could also need a pointer that yes, they need to manually activate DG, HF and DB .esm files in MO since those aren't activated using MO's default settings.

Quick edit 2: A note about updating FNIS, DSR and Bashed Patch is needed. It's ok to make their output into new mods the first time, but I'm assuming you need to do some manual copying from overwrite to their respective "mods" if anything else happens to the load order after the initial STEP install and these need to be rerun.

I just finished installing STEP 2.2.8

Next questions:

The 2.2.8 guide is in much better shape than 2.2.7 ever was. :)

I used the entire STEP 2.2.8 Extended almost to the letter, selecting HQ options wherever possible. I did add Clothing and Clutter fixes and replaced Ars Metallica with Complete Crafting Overhaul, so the STEP patch wouldn't work for me anyway. Next step is to create my own, personal STEP patch by combining some .esp files in Tes5edit.

The guide is still missing a short clarification about patches in general: while you DO have to follow the installation order for mods in general, patches that are specific to conflict resolution can only be installed but NOT enabled until the mod that specific patch is for has been installed. Trying to benchmark STEP after 2.D. Fixes will cause a CTD otherwise, and will continue to do so until 2.M. Gameplay mods have been installed. However, there's no need for the user to worry about .esp sorting mid-install (missed this clarification, badly, during 2.2.7 install), just use BOSS for it if benchmarking is required. A short notice after each section about which .esp files are safe to activate at that point would be nice.

Skyfalls & Skymills and Improved Closefaced Helmets have .esp files that BOSS doesn't currently recognize, a short notice about possibly needing BUM for these two could also be in order.

Quick edit: Real beginners to modding could also need a pointer that yes, they need to manually activate DG, HF and DB .esm files in MO since those aren't activated using MO's default settings.

Quick edit 2: A note about updating FNIS, DSR and Bashed Patch is needed. It's ok to make their output into new mods the first time, but I'm assuming you need to do some manual copying from overwrite to their respective "mods" if anything else happens to the load order after the initial STEP install and these need to be rerun.

Very nice feedback.

@DoublYou, EssArrBee or anyone else

Would you care to address some of these issues in the guide? I am going to get started with the update procedures for Nexus.

Should we move the STEP Patches to end of the install?

While I think there is some merit to having the STEP Patches at the top (it informs the user what compatibility patches he needn't install), it is better suited to place it at the bottom. This reflects load order as well. But how will we do that? Delete 2.A? Create 2.N? That's difficult. For now, just add a note to not activate it I suppose.

As to the Skyfalls and Improved Closefaced Helmets esps not being recognized by BOSS... I guess we could simply tell them to place the Skyfalls + Skymills + DG + DB.esp after Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp and the Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp after Explosive Bolts Visualized.esp.

Add a note to activate the DLC? That's a little too juvenile. If they don't know how to do that, they won't know how to install SKSE or just about any of the other mods for that matter.

Probably ought to add a note about subsequent Bashed, FNIS, and DSR patches needing to be moved from overwrite back to there appropriate mod folders.

How about also dropping the SOS patch since those mods are not in STEP anymore. You can no longer use that patch along with STEP Core and I do provide support for that patch since it would basically be a SOS-AOS-USKP patch, which pretty much exists on the AOS patches page. I'm going to removing that patch from the Github page soon, since it cannot work with STEP unless users are installing legacy version for some reason.

Lets distribute the to patches in WB style and make the two folders 00 Core Patch (ONLY Choose One) and 01 Extended Patch (ONLY Choose One). This will help immensely as so many people just browse right over the ten places it says to only choose one patch. If we put it in the install screen then that would cut that number down drastically.

EDIT: Should add DoubleYou to the credits too!