Flora Respawn Fix by bluedanieru

Valtarien

• 2 months later...

Unless it changed radically since the last time we looked at it then I doubt it will make it into STEP due to stability reasons.

This mod is suggested by Arthmoor as a Bug Fix Recommended in Addition to the Unofficial Patches.

Flora Respawn Fix (https://www.nexusmods...rim/mods/31268/) - This is a clever workaround for the bug introduced in Patch 1.3 where most flora objects in the game won't respawn no matter how long you wait for them. Requires unsupported TES5Edits and so is not suitable for inclusion in the USKP.

It seems to be compatible with STEP, fixes a bug with Vanilla, AND is recommended by USKP.

I can't find any recent mention of instability in the mod comments, and no real mention of it in this thread.

Any chance of a second chance, source, or quote?

I've had Flora Respawn Fix in my load order since just a couple months after I started modding Skyrim.

To call it script heavy is a misnomer - the scripts it uses mainly store a tiny bit of data, and only activate when the plant is activated for harvesting.

Probably more important to note is just how much data it can potentially add to your game save files. For my current level 53 character play through, that data takes up somewhere around 5-7MB - but it's not save game "bloat," because the script has to store the data somewhere.

Anyhow, if this mod fix is used, the plugin really should be present right from the very start of the game.

Yeah, I read a comment from the author that it adds around 5kb per harvested plant, which should get removed again when the plant respawns.

Would the extra file size make much difference, other than slightly longer load/save times?

I remember another mod that is either accepted for 2.2.9.1, or close to being accepted will also require a brand new game, so this one should be able to slot right in at the same time.

I currently have nearly 28,000 instances of the script stored in my latest save file. That save file is about 33MB. My total number of script instances is 232,000!

Since the Flora Respawn Fix instances are not active script instances, it's really not hurting anything, from what I understand. The most knowledgeable person on this would be FlexCreator of PDT Save Game Scalpel fame, so I say consult him if not sure.

I assume that if I don't visit a cell again so that plants respawn, that would account for having so many instances just waiting with the stored data.

From bluedanieru:

FRF attaches a script to every plant in the game, so that number looks about right actually. It will not cause appreciable performance drop though, because the script does very little: when you harvest something it registers an update in Skyrim's OnUpdateGametime queue, and then when that event triggers it places a new plant. There is no long-running process there, and the overhead on your save file is, (very roughly, about) 5 kB/plant (I imagine memory overhead in-game to be more than that, but not much more).

And, again from the readme, to be clear that 5 kB overhead is only per harvested plant, and only until the plant respawns.

Would be interesting to see how big a save file gets if you harvest all the plants then never go back.

From my first read of the thread, I thought the plants respawn regardless of whether you revisit the cell or not, but I find it hard to believe people have harvested 10's of thousands of plants without ever going back past them to allow the respawn.

Anyway, the best part about this mod is, if we find any major (or probably even minor) issues, bluedanieru seems to be very heavily invested in keeping it updated and implementing fixes.

I havent used it but I definitely will.

I think that this would be a good inclusion in STEP.

Its a shame you can only have one script on Flora and Tree groups but I guess that doesnt matter... It was more of an observation than a concern.

I havent used it but I definitely will.

I think that this would be a good inclusion in STEP.

Its a shame you can only have one script on Flora and Tree groups but I guess that doesnt matter... It was more of an observation than a concern.

Hmm, the only other mod I use that does this is SkyBirds, and I manually merged the attached script references on a bunch of flora records. Not sure but it's possible I was borking out the mechanics of Flora Script Overhaul, and that's why I have so many instances. I have always assumed it was not a problem. I do remember asking steve40, and maybe also bluedanieru about it, and kind of remember one of them saying it should work fine to attach both scripts.

That said, I've not noticed problems with plants not respawning. I would need to do some tests.

Edited by keithinhanoi

• 1 month later...

I think we should just wait on this as well. I'm not fond of how this mod saves this data either. I feel like there could be a better way of saving the data. My issue with it being in the save files is load times at the menu. I've noticed over time that as I accumulate more and more saves for testing and whatnot, that the main menu becomes sluggish. And when I go through and clean up my saves; deleting what isn't needed anymore, then the main menu starts becoming more responsive and loads faster. Adding several MBs to each save would only add to the sluggishness.

I think we should just wait on this as well. I'm not fond of how this mod saves this data either. I feel like there could be a better way of saving the data. My issue with it being in the save files is load times at the menu. I've noticed over time that as I accumulate more and more saves for testing and whatnot, that the main menu becomes sluggish. And when I go through and clean up my saves; deleting what isn't needed anymore, then the main menu starts becoming more responsive and loads faster. Adding several MBs to each save would only add to the sluggishness.

Note that USKP and even vanilla Skyrim itself employs a number of scripts that store lots and lots of data in your save game. Use either of the save game "cleaner" utilities on a game save some hundreds of hours in, and you will see this.

Can you explain what you mean by "sluggish" in the main menu? Is it slow when you are choosing which game save to load, or is the initial loading screen when you choose the game save / hit "Continue game"?

Anyhow, despite my previous cites of game save size and number of script instances, it would be much better to do testing with comparisons before deciding this script in particular adds "too much" data or slows down the main menu.