v1.2.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

I just finished installing the new guide for my husband before he went on vacation, and he requested that I remove the Mass Ownership Tweaks mod.  It is marked as optional/not-required by the guide but the STEP patch has it set as a master.  I'm not sure why - none of the documented STEP information mentions it specifically, and it doesn't look like the mod setup would really involve the STEP patch?

OneHUD appears to be conflicting with Vanilla Clean HUD, as some recent comments in both mod's Nexus forums attest, although no one here has reported trouble in the interim - I didn't have an enormous amount of time to bug-hunt, so after verifying I had completed installation correctly (including file edits under detailed instructions) I had to give up and uninstall the latter to stop UI elements from showing up as little squares.

As far as i know this guide is not actively maintained anymore?

About removing the Mass Ownership Tweaks mod from your modlist, if you're familiar with xEdit, you could remove the relevant records and then the dependency as a master from the STEP patch. This post was very helpful at least to me in that regard (the principles should be the same with Skyrim and New Vegas): How to Remove a Step Patch Dependency

About the user interface section, OneHud and also DarnUI are a bit dated mods and prone to problems in conjunction with each other and other mods. Personally i am using Contextual Hud together with Vanilla UI+ and Clean Vanilla Hud.

12 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

As far as i know this guide is not actively maintained anymore?

About removing the Mass Ownership Tweaks mod from your modlist, if you're familiar with xEdit, you could remove the relevant records and then the dependency as a master from the STEP patch. This post was very helpful at least to me in that regard (the principles should be the same with Skyrim and New Vegas): How to Remove a Step Patch Dependency

About the user interface section, OneHud and also DarnUI are a bit dated mods and prone to problems in conjunction with each other and other mods. Personally i am using Contextual Hud together with Vanilla UI+ and Clean Vanilla Hud.

Since you seem to be actively using this guide and know quite a bit about FNV, perhaps you might want to update some things? If so, we can set you up with permissions to do so and increment the guide version when done. You'd need to be willing to install it strictly according the the updated guide and update the patches. If you do, we'd credit you as the curator of the updated version. Let us know.

10 hours ago, z929669 said:

Since you seem to be actively using this guide and know quite a bit about FNV, perhaps you might want to update some things? If so, we can set you up with permissions to do so and increment the guide version when done. You'd need to be willing to install it strictly according the the updated guide and update the patches. If you do, we'd credit you as the curator of the updated version. Let us know.

That is very sweet of you to offer, thank you. I hope my frequent posts and comments on this forum were not annoying or overstepping in any way. I certainely can appreciate the amount of time and effort that it takes to set up and maintain any of these guides. While i would love to contribute to a new and updated version of an FNV guide, i think i could only do that as part of a team, for reasons of time and maybe also the lack of certain technical skills.

Also, after initially installing the full guide earlier in February and playing for a couple of weeks, i restarted the whole process, omitting and changing a lot mods, so what i am currently playing is more of a personal hybrid of mainly STEP, Viva New Vegas and other things.

2 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

That is very sweet of you to offer, thank you. I hope my frequent posts and comments on this forum were not annoying or overstepping in any way. I certainely can appreciate the amount of time and effort that it takes to set up and maintain any of these guides. While i would love to contribute to a new and updated version of an FNV guide, i think i could only do that as part of a team, for reasons of time and maybe also the lack of certain technical skills.

Also, after initially installing the full guide earlier in February and playing for a couple of weeks, i restarted the whole process, omitting and changing a lot mods, so what i am currently playing is more of a personal hybrid of mainly STEP, Viva New Vegas and other things.

No worries whatsoever. Posting in a game forum within the context of that game is exactly why we have the forums by game. We encourage support and feedback from community members.

I personally have only ever played FO3 only a tiny bit many years ago, so your knowledge of FNV far exceeds my own, and any info you or anyone else posts here or on any other supported game is a good thing. That's why I made the suggestion. The most important aspect of maintaining these guides is that each needs a curator ... someone who is actively maintaining and playing the game. You've already pointed out some issues and remedies for the present FNV guide that I think are worthy of consideration by the sound of them, so these thoughts should be considered and potentially implemented.

Since it sounds like you have the Step build with your own recommended changes to make it better from your perspective, it sounds like it might be time to update the guide so that it remains relevant and useful. Based on your contributions on this site to date for not just FNV, I think your technical skills are on par with what's necessary.

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

No worries whatsoever. Posting in a game forum within the context of that game is exactly why we have the forums by game. We encourage support and feedback from community members.

Thank you. So i will definitely as long as i'm playing continue commenting on specific mods' changes in the 'Fallout: New Vegas Mods' section. I think this is a good place for an accompanying reading when going through the guide as a user. (I certainely always found the Skyrim LE & SE Mods sections interesting and helpful in making decisions about including or omitting certain mods).

More comprehensive and concerning several or certain groups of mods it might be interesting to set up a new topic in this section here with comments on how to approach handling a grouping of mods and their interactions. (For example, the guide section '16-Interface' is something that can be separately viewed and alternatively modded without drastically influencing other parts of the guide).

I wonder how many people actually are currently using the STEP guide as-is or as a base set-up?

Edited by CorneliusC

I think most Fallout New Vegas modders are probably very knowledgeable these days, and I feel like Step has always been considered a base by most people to branch off from to their own builds. I know this is how I've always used it. As for the number of people who use the guide, the Nexus page indicates about 100 unique downloads, so you can take a guess of that.

21 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

Thank you. So i will definitely as long as i'm playing continue commenting on specific mods' changes in the 'Fallout: New Vegas Mods' section. I think this is a good place for an accompanying reading when going through the guide as a user. (I certainely always found the Skyrim LE & SE Mods sections interesting and helpful in making decisions about including or omitting certain mods).

More comprehensive and concerning several or certain groups of mods it might be interesting to set up a new topic in this section here with comments on how to approach handling a grouping of mods and their interactions. (For example, the guide section '16-Interface' is something that can be separately viewed and alternatively modded without drastically influencing other parts of the guide).

I wonder how many people actually are currently using the STEP guide as-is or as a base set-up?

19 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

I think most Fallout New Vegas modders are probably very knowledgeable these days, and I feel like Step has always been considered a base by most people to branch off from to their own builds. I know this is how I've always used it. As for the number of people who use the guide, the Nexus page indicates about 100 unique downloads, so you can take a guess of that.

Regardless of current use of our FNV guide, some of the posts since @Majorman went on hiatus seem to indicate that the guide itself should be updated to reflect some changes or issues with specific mods that are patch masters and need to be removed/replaced. This requires a Step FNV Curator to install STEP FNV and 'tune' the build likewise.

Otherwise, the guide itself is deprecated and no longer entirely relevant (i.e., 'broken' to some extent).

I have no idea if this is true, because I do not play any FO games.

I think i noted some of the more recent changes to certain mods in the mods section, the most prominent being a complete rewrite of the FNV BSA Decompressor, which in earlier versions needed an addendum to the fallout.ini., which is still in the guide and may confuse anyone who reads the guide's instructions now regarding this essential mod. For me, a full install of the guide in February worked just fine, aside from a few minor balance issues.

Edited by CorneliusC

I think with Fallout NV even older than Skyrim and a guide using mods written over a decade ago and only a part of these still maintained it is quite difficult for a guide to stay 'contemporary' and at the same time work on its own and to be able to be used as a base for other builds. In my opinion a 'contemporary' guide needs to have less mods overall, with these also be considered regarding whether they are still maintained or at least with open permissions; also information needs to be made more transparent or available about the interactions or lack thereof with other mods and which mod could be considered 'optional' for the whole to still function without; and third the availability of modular patches divided by sections would make it easier for a user to understand and control or rewrite these by themselves and also maintain the ability to decide whether to omit an entire section if not wanted (an example being the section 'character appearance', which could be considered debatable as a whole).

Edited by CorneliusC

48 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

I think with Fallout NV even older than Skyrim and a guide using mods written over a decade ago and only a part of these still maintained it is quite difficult for a guide to stay 'contemporary' and at the same time work on its own and to be able to be used as a base for other builds. In my opinion a 'contemporary' guide needs to have less mods overall, with these also be considered regarding whether they are still maintained or at least with open permissions; also information needs to be made more transparent or available about the interactions or lack thereof with other mods and which mod could be considered 'optional' for the whole to still function without; and third the availability of modular patches divided by sections would make it easier for a user to understand and control or rewrite these by themselves and also maintain the ability to decide whether to omit an entire section if not wanted (an example being the section 'character appearance', which could be considered debatable as a whole).

How many mods and which to include in a given game guide is TBD by the Curator of the guide (in this case, someone running FNV and maintaining a contemporary build that adheres to the Step Mandate).

The Step build is agnostic with respect to the number of mods included or their status and accessibility. When the guide is constructed, all mods are relevant and can be accessed. If or when that changes for a given mod, the mod is dropped from the guide, and the guide version is updated to reflect a fundamental change. The Curator can and should decide what mods should be included with this in mind, because the Curator will need to increment versions when the mod constituents change (among other things).

The ModGroup (section) "Character Appearance" pertains to any of our game guides and, like any ModGroup other than "Lighting & Weather" and "Post-Processing", it is not an optional group. If no mods are available/accessible for Character Appearance, then it's just an empty group in the guide. I'll wager that every single game we support has lots of Character Appearance mods that are practical and applicable. See the ModGroup Flowchart for reference.

6 minutes ago, z929669 said:

The ModGroup (section) "Character Appearance" pertains to any of our game guides and, like any ModGroup other than "Lighting & Weather" and "Post-Processing", it is not an optional group. If no mods are available/accessible for Character Appearance, then it's just an empty group in the guide. I'll wager that every single game we support has lots of Character Appearance mods that are practical and applicable. See the ModGroup Flowchart for reference.

Apologies for being too fast writing in another language, it was not my intention to question a ModGroup in itself or the methodology of establishing these ModGroups, rather as an example of the contents of this specific group consisting of partially rather dated mods with no more support and also their aestethics being subject of discussion for years, to be more specific Fallout Character Overhaul and its related patches. It was just an example where more information and also separate patches (in this case mainly NPC records) might give a user potentially more control to choose aspects of a specific section.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Ive followed a couple of these guides now so not a novice but cant figure out my current problem. Took my time and followed the guide but once i was all done and ready to start a game i get a black screen after the intro movie and it just stops responding. tried the nvse_stewie_tweaks.ini bRestore2Hotkey fix just incase but still no luck. Hoping someone with more experience has a fix