Dear Diary Dark Mode - SkyUI Menus Replacer SE (by uranreactor)

Pug

Discussion topic:
Dear Diary Dark Mode - SkyUI Menus Replacer SE by uranreactor
Wiki Link

This version fits well with Vanilla Skyrim. It is highly customizable and  in combination with SkyHUD by Fhaarkas it is great (scalable compass and bars). It has a very nice start-menu and a favorites menu with and additional shouts tab. The only thing which I do not like to much are the red buttons.

per z929669:

See the wiki link for installation instructions.

Running Step SSE 2.2.0, install DDDM and also:

2.2.0 mods that should be DISABLED and install order. NOTE the (TEST) and (TEST-DROP) prefixes to the mod names indicates all mods I'm testing related to this mod with all optionals included as the wiki instructions indicate.

image.png

• +1 1

It's very nice, works very well, and can be customized according to user preferences.

I didn't care for the original Dear Diary "Paper" mod but this is completely different. The "golden" UI gives me faint and distant nostalgic vibes for Morrowind.

7 hours ago, Pug said:

The only thing which I do not like to much are the red buttons.

You mean the red arrow that points at selected/equipped items? Yes it can feel a bit out of place somehow but I quickly got used to it.

I don't like the 3D cursor but it's an option that can be skipped in the FOMOD installer.

This mod has a great many FOMOD options for compatibility, so I will need input from others testing this against several other interface mods we are using, since it will take a long time to test otherwise. See OP.

I've been using this mod (Warm Text variant) ever since it was released. It set it up a while ago, so my memory is a bit rough.

Installation Options

• FOMOD > Sleep-Wait Menu > Install Sleep-Wait Menu replacer? Yes.

The configuration panel is shown twice in a row on the wiki page:

image.png

• FOMOD > HUD Menu > Install HUD? Yes.

Should be 'No'. This option doesn't apply to STEP Guide, as it requires SkyHUD, which is currently not included in STEP Guide and is not even in Testing. I personally use it and would recommend it, though at this point I'd be hard pressed to tell you exactly what SkyHUD does and how it differs from/improves upon vanilla.

• FOMOD > Compass Navigation Overhaul > Yes, beige markers.

Should be 'No'. This option doesn't apply to STEP Guide, as it requires Compass Navigation Overhaul, which is currently not included in STEP Guide. I see CNO is currently in 'Testing' though, so it could be considered. Beware however that DDDM is not compatible with CNO 2.x (the compass will be completely broken when both are used together, even with DDDM compatibility option). This can be fixed by borrowing the compass SWF from other DDDM-based mods, albeit with a vanilla-white style.

I personally use CNO with DDDM, with the manual borrowed SWF overwrite hack, and would recommend it.

• FOMOD > Quick Loot Menu > Install QuickLootRE replacer? > Yes, Quick Loot EE.

I don't use Quick Loot EE or RE so can't comment on that. 

• FOMOD > Wheel Menu > Install Wheel Menu replacer? > Yes.

Should be 'No'. This option doesn't apply to STEP Guide, as it requires UIExtensions, which is currently not included in STEP Guide and is not even in Testing.

I don't use it so can't comment on that. Seems to be geared towards console controller users.

• FOMOD > Cursors > Replace the cursor? > Yes, static.

The cursor replacers, even the static one, are too fancy/distracting for me and not in the same flat style as the overall design. I prefer the vanilla flat cursor style of Small Vanilla Cursors currently included in STEP Guide, even though they have different color (white vs. DDDM gold).

• FOMOD > Font > Replace the main font? > ENG (Latin).

This will conflict with Font Overhaul. I don't care much for the main 'Friz Quadrata' font so I don't use it but I like the 'Consolas' font for the console so I kept it. Requires manual editing of fontconfig.txt to pick and choose fonts from DDDM vs. Font Overhaul.

• FOMOD > New UI Sounds > Install new UI sounds? > No.

You may want to give the new UI sounds a try. I think they're nice. They're softer than the vanilla sounds. For example, vanilla has a loud 'whoosh-bang' sound for crafting potions at an alchemy table, while DDDM uses a more natural and subdued 'gurgle' sound.

Conflicts

As noted on the mod page, this should be installed dead last in the UI mod group and overwrite everything.

• Font Overhaul

See previous point above.

Redundant, can be removed as DDDM provides its own complete set when the Skyrim Character Sheet option is selected in FOMOD.

Redundant, can be removed as DDDM fully incorporates them.

While DDDM incorporates the main reading UI from that mod (same MA), I'd recommend keeping and overwriting Convenient Reading UI for its other features that are not included, such as faster page turning animations and other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

Other

The original Oxygen Meter uses the enchantment charge bar for its widget. Oxygen Meter 2 uses a custom widget. DDDM replaces the custom widget with its own DDDM-style widget, similar to Magik/Health/Stamina bars, integrating seamlessly with the UI theme.

Final Words

• The 'Warm text' variant and its golden-colored theme may not be to everyone taste and may cause issues with vision-impaired users. While I prefer it over White, you may want to evaluate and consider the more neutral White option as the default.
  • This mod is a beast with all its components and dependencies. Customizing it requires navigating a maze of configurations, and identifying the source of issues can be a hassle. This might create technical support headaches.
  • Nevertheless I like this mod a lot and can't imagine playing without it. I made a few tweaks to the configuration, matter of personal preferences. Can be discussed later if needed, if I can find/remember what changes I made and why.
Edited by Mousetick
Added comment on new UI sounds
  • +1 1
  • Thanks 1

Bottom screen showing DDDM with Oxygen Meter 2:

image.png

Regarding the cursors, I went back and tried the DDDM static cursor again. I ought to correct my earlier comment. The style is fine and mostly consistent with the overall theme, which is actually not that flat. But to me it's just too damn big, as I'm used to the Small Vanilla Cursors. So please take my view with a big grain of salt.

35 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Bottom screen showing DDDM with Oxygen Meter 2:

image.png

Regarding the cursors, I went back and tried the DDDM static cursor again. I ought to correct my earlier comment. The style is fine and mostly consistent with the overall theme, which is actually not that flat. But to me it's just too damn big, as I'm used to the Small Vanilla Cursors. So please take my view with a big grain of salt.

I thought the custom cursor fit the 'warm' theme better, so I opted for the non-animated version in the FOMOD instructions I put out there. I also don't like bulky cursors and prever something slim and with a clear, sharp point. I would create a basic 'beige' cursor to accompany the DD theme.

Also your point about the text color being potentially fuunwanted by some is valid, but I'd argue that anyone with old eyes will appreciate it. Those with younger eyes will have no readability issues either way. My 54-year-old eyes benefit greatly from the 'softer' look of the lower-contrast text, so I think this only presents an aesthetic rather than a functional drawback. For those users, there's INIs and options. We could provide advice for two FOMOD options and let users tweak away on their own from there.

Your post will probably save me a good deal of time sorting all this out, so TY for that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 12:30 AM, Mousetick said:

Beware however that DDDM is not compatible with CNO 2.x (the compass will be completely broken when both are used together, even with DDDM compatibility option). This can be fixed by borrowing the compass SWF from other DDDM-based mods, albeit with a vanilla-white style.

Hack-free solution now available: Dear Diary Dark Mode - Compass Navigation Overhaul Updated Patch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

This will be relevant if it gets updated to CoMAP 4.0+. I'm wondering why this was released without that support, since 4.0 has been out now for nearly a month. Maybe dev on this started prior to that.

Whose dev? The patch above was made by a 3rd-party, it's just a SWF file that makes the current CNO compass styled like DDDM. It's just a "reskin". That 3rd-party has no control over CoMAP or CNO.

The current issue between CoMAP 4.0+ and CNO can only be dealt with by CoMAP and CNO devs. Apparently it involves DLL code-level changes on both sides, not SWF-related. There is a 'Temporary Workaround' on the CoMAP download page, that simply reverts CoMAP to 3.4.2 so CNO works again. That issue doesn't involve DDDM at all.

Once the CoMAP/CNO issue is resolved, a new compass SWF patch with DDDM "skin" may be needed, or not. We'll see.

If you don't want to use the CoMAP temporary workaround/downgrade, then simply don't use CNO at all. In which case the patch above is irrelevant.

36 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Whose dev? The patch above was made by a 3rd-party, it's just a SWF file that makes the current CNO compass styled like DDDM. It's just a "reskin". That 3rd-party has no control over CoMAP or CNO.

The current issue between CoMAP 4.0+ and CNO can only be dealt with by CoMAP and CNO devs. Apparently it involves DLL code-level changes on both sides, not SWF-related. There is a 'Temporary Workaround' on the CoMAP download page, that simply reverts CoMAP to 3.4.2 so CNO works again. That issue doesn't involve DDDM at all.

Once the CoMAP/CNO issue is resolved, a new compass SWF patch with DDDM "skin" may be needed, or not. We'll see.

If you don't want to use the CoMAP temporary workaround/downgrade, then simply don't use CNO at all. In which case the patch above is irrelevant.

I see. Yeah, I aborted use of CNO for this reason and assumed that the new mod resolved what you have identified as a CoMAP-CNO dev issue. If you are correct, then simply waiting for CNO and CoMAP to articulate may be best.

On 5/24/2023 at 5:30 PM, Mousetick said:

FOMOD > Font > Replace the main font? > ENG (Latin).

This will conflict with Font Overhaul. I don't care much for the main 'Friz Quadrata' font so I don't use it but I like the 'Consolas' font for the console so I kept it. Requires manual editing of fontconfig.txt to pick and choose fonts from DDDM vs. Font Overhaul.

Font Overhaul was recently updated, but I doubt if the changes impact anything we're concerned with:

Version 2.1.2

• Fixed creation club and controller fontconfig mappings. Added native Oblivion Interaction Icon support for all configuration options.

... anyway, FO fontconfig.txt overrides DDDM fontconfig.txt in my setup right now. I haven't made any changes to either one yet, because things look good to me so far in testing. I'm not in the weeds yet though, so what each parameter does and it's in-game impact isn't clear to me yet ... more later.

Here's the diff (DDDM at left, FO at right)

image.png

31 minutes ago, z929669 said:

anyway, FO fontconfig.txt overrides DDDM fontconfig.txt in my setup right now

In that case DDDM fonts are not used and won't be seen in-game. In that case they don't need to be installed and can be skipped in the FOMOD, because they're not used.

Conversely, if you let DDDM fontconfig.txt overwrite FO, DDDM fonts will be used for the UI and console, vanilla fonts will be used for everything else such as books/notes. FO fonts won't be used at all. In that case FO doesn't need to be installed.

If you want to use both DDDM fonts and FO fonts together, fontconfig.txt needs to be edited to reflect these choices.

(Not arguing about which font is better or judging subjective choices. Simply trying to help figure out the ins and outs.)