Flickering Meshes Fix (by nicola89b and gururaj20000)

DoubleYou

3 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

That's actually because I updated them last night when I was updating my install.

:ninja:

1 hour ago, TechAngel85 said:

This mod actually needs to be moved below MM. We're installing the compatibility option for MM, but then allowing MM to overwrite it. :happy: So this mod needs to be moved between MM and Majestic Mountains - Patch for Dynamic Volumetric Lighting and Sun Shadows or that one file needs to be hidden in MM. It's easier to just move it down one row.

I'll take care of it if you haven't

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, quick question on this one - installing through the guide and have reached Flickering Meshes Fix, installed with the screenshot FOMOD options, which are all 'none' except for ticks against "Majestic Mountains" and "Skyrim - A mountainous experience".

This results in an empty mod install (literally just the meta.ini file).

Now obviously there could be a step further on that puts files inside it, I suppose, but this seems unintentional?
edit: I should add, this could definitely just be an issue with the mod itself, I haven't looked - wanted to flag this to the STEP team though either way.

image.thumb.png.42a44d1c418555bda0432556ca09875e.png

Edited by ozoak

6 hours ago, ozoak said:

This results in an empty mod install (literally just the meta.ini file).

You should have a meshes folder with several subfolders there. Maybe removing the mod and the download and then re-download and re-install again?

FlickeringMeshes.thumb.jpg.f2334383af17c7b49baf2b06ece3b9cd.jpg

Edit: Just re-downloaded and re-installed, the file is fine

Edited by CorneliusC

On 7/8/2022 at 12:15 AM, z929669 said:
  On 7/7/2022 at 10:58 PM, TechAngel85 said:

This mod actually needs to be moved below MM. We're installing the compatibility option for MM, but then allowing MM to overwrite it. :happy: So this mod needs to be moved between MM and Majestic Mountains - Patch for Dynamic Volumetric Lighting and Sun Shadows or that one file needs to be hidden in MM. It's easier to just move it down one row.

While on topic, in the current setup of the guide, hide this one file ('markarthcliff04.nif' overwriting 'Patch for Dynamic Volumetric Lighting and Sun Shadows') or move the mod one row up?

Edited by CorneliusC

3 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

While on topic, in the current setup of the guide, hide this one file ('markarthcliff04.nif' overwriting 'Patch for Dynamic Volumetric Lighting and Sun Shadows') or move the mod one row up?

Skyrim - A Mountainous Experience is providing that mesh near the end of Models & Textures, and it looks correct, so probably nothing to do here.

Besides. Moving the mod up one is not applicable, since the MM patch is way up in Foundation (where this mod had originally been placed).

4 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

You should have a meshes folder with several subfolders there. Maybe removing the mod and the download and then re-download and re-install again?

FlickeringMeshes.thumb.jpg.f2334383af17c7b49baf2b06ece3b9cd.jpg

Edit: Just re-downloaded and re-installed, the file is fine

I agree, there should be something - there isn't though. I've removed the mod, deleted the original download and redownloaded and installed. With options matching the STEP guide, it remains empty. The files in your screenshot are in the downloaded archive, but nothing's being unpacked into the installed mod:

image.thumb.png.7b36262e78edde404df6c134c9b54734.png

I'm no FOMOD file expert, but I can see in it it the two ticked options carry the flags MAJESTIC and MOUNTAINOUS_EXP. I assume that's supposed to flow on into the conditionalFileInstalls where there are grouped AND logic blocks which seem to show which files to install depending on the pair of flags set. There's no paired conditional logic for MAJESTIC and MOUNTAINOUS_EXP.

I feel like I should have something else ticked, Riften or Markarth related perhaps, as between them the Effects and Landscape files are present.

ed: I can ask the mod author about it as I think there's another problem with the FOMOD (a conditional, not used in STEP, "Icy Windhelm" doesn't have a flag name set at all) that I saw, so perhaps they will have an idea.

Edited by ozoak

40 minutes ago, ozoak said:

I agree, there should be something - there isn't though. I've removed the mod, deleted the original download and redownloaded and installed. With options matching the STEP guide, it remains empty. The files in your screenshot are in the downloaded archive, but nothing's being unpacked into the installed mod:

Based on your screenshot, please try again, and in the first installation window for the 'main cities' please tick the second option 'no parallax version' for every city. this is easy to miss, nearly also happened to me when re-installing this morning

35 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

Based on your screenshot, please try again, and in the first installation window for the 'main cities' please tick the second option 'no parallax version' for every city. this is easy to miss, nearly also happened to me when re-installing this morning

OMG I can't believe I did that. Thank you, and sorry for making such a rookie mistake.

46 minutes ago, ozoak said:

image.thumb.png.7b36262e78edde404df6c134c9b54734.png

I'm no FOMOD file expert, but I can see in it it the two ticked options carry the flags MAJESTIC and MOUNTAINOUS_EXP. I assume that's supposed to flow on into the conditionalFileInstalls where there are grouped AND logic blocks which seem to show which files to install depending on the pair of flags set. There's no paired conditional logic for MAJESTIC and MOUNTAINOUS_EXP.

I feel like I should have something else ticked, Riften or Markarth related perhaps, as between them the Effects and Landscape files are present.

36 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

Agree. I just tested, and many meshes are installed if you mimic the FOMOD instructions in the guide.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

and many meshes are installed ...

Many, many meshes ...

4 hours ago, z929669 said:

Skyrim - A Mountainous Experience is providing that mesh near the end of Models & Textures, and it looks correct, so probably nothing to do here.

Besides. Moving the mod up one is not applicable, since the MM patch is way up in Foundation (where this mod had originally been placed).

'markarthcliff04.nif' is one of the meshes which are set to be hidden in 'A Mountainous Experience', so this one here is relevant (I was just curious because i have no idea how important this mesh is overall and how often it is in use ...)

Edit to myself: It's in landscape/unique, applying to one specific setup only, so ...

Edited by CorneliusC

45 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

Many, many meshes ...

'markarthcliff04.nif' is one of the meshes which are set to be hidden in 'A Mountainous Experience', so this one here is relevant (I was just curious because i have no idea how important this mesh is overall and how often it is in use ...)

I see now that I didn't have these hidden in my MO. I think the mesh priority is correct in Foundation. FML is probably a safe bet over MM EVLaS patch. That mod simply adds the double-sided flag, which FML does and goes further by parsing the model into several different meshes probably to fix z-fighting.

The only way to say for sure is to compare them in game, but we aren't doing that for the thousands of mesh-fix conflicts (too much work). Instead, we are considering the mods, their credibility, and the timestamps of the mesh file updates.

• 2 months later...
50 minutes ago, CorneliusC said:

Thank you. Do you also consider the mod 'Riften Architectural Details' for STEP?

or (edited:) are the files from 'Riften Architectural Details' already identical to the ones in 'Flickering Meshes Fix'?

FMF 'fixes' certain meshes in vanilla or provided by other mods, so Riften Architectural Details is a mod for which FMF presumably replaces some meshes. We don't use it, so it stays unticked.