Soul Gems Differ - Full and Empty (by Utopolyst)

stoppingby4now

OK, so it sounds like you are saying:

[*]Localize ALL plugins, even the foreign language ones (I had not done that, only en)

[*]Copy the localized foreign text (from the cells in the main window or from Other > Localization > Language > Edit view window?)

[*]If I change language to Japanese (and update my TES5Edit, which is 3.0.30), will the strings appear in /Data/ and remain there after reverting back to English?

Not all the plugins should be localized, just copy the localized text. To do so, right click the relevant text, select Edit, and copy the resulting text over to a temporary text document. All the relevant strings for the text will appear in /Data/Strings, or in /Strings. They will remain there no matter what language you set for TES5Edit's localization.

I don't know why requiem chances the bounds but use the plugin I provided and all the USKP bounds that were changed are there. USKP is not a master when fixes are forwarded since it uses mostly vanilla assets.

BUT ... the USkP does not touch FILLED soul gems ... only empty ones, so the USkP object bounds are NOT forwarded to the filled gems. Since the filled gems are same shape as the empty ones, this makes absolutely no sense at all to me, so we should either be forwarding the USkP changes on object bounds of filled gems or we should be using Requem's object bounds on filled gems right?

Not all the plugins should be localized, just copy the localized text. To do so, right click the relevant text, select Edit, and copy the resulting text over to a temporary text document. All the relevant strings for the text will appear in /Data/Strings, or in /Strings. They will remain there no matter what language you set for TES5Edit's localization.

When I localize the en plugins all is well, but then when I change their language, all of the string text becomes undefined within the cells in the TESEdit right window. Therefore, I cannot copy and foreign language localized text, because i did not localize the foreign language plugins (and you confirmed that I do not need to). There is no foreign language text in the English versions of the plugins, so I need to copy it over.

I first attempted to change the English localized versions of the plugins to, say, French, so I loaded English and French plugin versions for the specific plugin, and changed English plugin to French. Then all of the text became undefined, so I simply dragged the French text in the adjacent cell into the English version, saved and quit.

This is wrong I take it, but I still am not clear on the instructions ... could you be even more specific?

BUT ... the USkP does not touch FILLED soul gems ... only empty ones, so the USkP object bounds are NOT forwarded to the filled gems. Since the filled gems are same shape as the empty ones, this makes absolutely no sense at all to me, so we should either be forwarding the USkP changes on object bounds of filled gems or we should be using Requem's object bounds on filled gems right?

I get what you are saying about the object bounds only being used for the empty soul gems, but I have no idea why it wouldn't be used for both. Probably a question for the UPP team. The thing about Requiem's object bounds is that they are untested, so we don't know if they create annoying object bounds that get in the way of things that might be next to them. They are really tiny though, so it might not matter that much.

What do you think about the idea of forwarding the USkP object bounds rather than the Skyrim object bounds (This makes sense if the Skyrim bounds are same for full and empty, since it stands to reason that USkP redefined bounds should be identical as well).

When I localize the en plugins all is well, but then when I change their language, all of the string text becomes undefined within the cells in the TESEdit right window. Therefore, I cannot copy and foreign language localized text, because i did not localize the foreign language plugins (and you confirmed that I do not need to). There is no foreign language text in the English versions of the plugins, so I need to copy it over.I first attempted to change the English localized versions of the plugins to, say, French, so I loaded English and French plugin versions for the specific plugin, and changed English plugin to French. Then all of the text became undefined, so I simply dragged the French text in the adjacent cell into the English version, saved and quit.This is wrong I take it, but I still am not clear on the instructions ... could you be even more specific?

Uh, didn't realize that. In that case, you need to copy the text from the foreign language plugin before you switch the localization. In my earlier step-by-step guide, switch steps 5 and 6, effectively.

You could forward the USKP bounds for full and empty, they probably overlooked that. I've done that for some things in the STEP Patches, figuring that the UPP team would add it eventually. It is basically adding in fixes yourself and that is fine.

@SRB

OK, that is what I was thinking too. thanks for confirming

@WI

OK, so I can delocalize without having to start over with fresh plugins?

What does "localize plugin" do anyway?

Lastly, how in the heck do I save a plugin as a different name from TESEdit?

You do not change the name with TES5Edit, you change it in explorer. You can just make a copy of the original and then change the copy's name.

Also, not even sure how this localization thing works. Changing to different languages is just showing <Error: No strings file for lstring ID 00000007>. Where do we change the different languages? With Notepad++? TES5Edit will not let me edit anything in the strings editor.

@SRB - you change the localization using TES5edit, and copy the text from the different language plugins of SGD into Notepad++ or similiar temporally until you set the localization approiatly and add the text back.

@z92

To delocalize a plugin, right click on the plugin and select Other->Localization->Delocalize.

Localize Plugin sets up a plugin to use the STRING translation system.

When a plugin is localized, you do not need to change the name of it, just save it and the new localization strings. To actually rename a plugin, Wrye Bash is recommended to do so.

Arthmoor just told me that the CK automatically edits certain things for no known reason. One is object bounds and another is tint layers for NPCs. They did not make those edits, and probably nobody does, so you will see different values sometimes. He said the changes are probably so minute that it does not matter unless they are all zero.

I will assume that it should be ignored.

I will also mess around with those damn strings. It still does not make any sense to me, but if I screw with it enough, it should finally become clear as mud.

What about this tool?

...It wasn't one of the ones Arthmoor recomended for doing translations. Along with TES5Edit, he recommended either StrEdit or TESVTranslator instead for localized string editing. StrEdit is more minimalistic than TESVTranslator, but I'd recommend you try both and see which one works best for you.

He actually does recommend (or did in that OP your are likely talking about) TESSnip ONLY for string edits. I was able to easily generate the string files for each language (currently downloading and saving every Skyrim language string set) ... what to actually do with them is another story, but I'll push on.