DynDOLOD Beta for Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR and Enderal SE 2.98

sheson

Here is the LOD generated for just the Wyrmstooth world

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19N6L3n9RP8HSez4laeOu-sAexxgPjpn2/view

Thx that helped to identify the problem. For reasons billboards are not added to a texture atlas, which means the object LOD uses billboard textures directly. This can cause problems because billboards often do not have certain required texture dimensions, since they are not intended to be used that way.

This will be fixed in the next version. In the meantime you can remove the second to last "tree" mesh rule in the advanced option and generate static object LOD only (uncheck generate tree LOD and Generate DynDOLOD) for the two worldspaces.

Then copy over the newly generated BTO and textures. Discard any changes to plugins, SKSE/json files etc if there are any.

Some trees that can not have traditional tree will just not have LOD for the time being.

I get this error repeatedly when running Dyndolod x64.

How would I go about fixing this?

If this comes back post the entire log, not just the end. The error happens before the report about plugins modifying large reference causing texture flicker.

Does the new beta fix the wyrmstooth issue and the issue where Shadowrend would be set as a Master file for dyndolod? Sorry, just asking since I didn’t see that

in the changelog.

Yes, as promised in this post, the flat atlas not being creating causing problems with Wyrmstooth as reported by Sandman53 has been fixed.

No idea what the "Shadowrend" issues is about. I do not remember that mod being discussed. Sounds like a case of not understanding why plugins are added as master, though it is always possible something goes weird.

Edited by sheson

Sorry, I was referring to the the Shadowrend Creation Club mod. It gets added as a Master for dyndolod.esp, same as the homestead did.

Technically there is nothing wrong with official ESL/ESM CC plugins being added as masters.

This typically happens when they modify or add things to worldspaces. Homestead is now even supported (rules work around an "odd" nif and ensure nice LODs are added for everything including the trees)

I may acquire Shadowrend at some time to verify all is well and works as its supposed to.

Edited by sheson

Oh, neat. Thanks. If there’s a way to donate to you I’d be happy to fund the purchase of said mod (or just as a way to thank you for the wonder that is dyndolod). Out of curiosity, what was “odd†about the nif? Is there some unique way it’s made that tools like nif optimizer should be aware of?

also, sorry if this is a stupid question but is there a difference between  the sselodgen included with dyndolod and the one included in the latest sseedit build?

Edited by DarthVitrial

Oh, neat. Thanks. If there’s a way to donate to you I’d be happy to fund the purchase of said mod (or just as a way to thank you for the wonder that is dyndolod). Out of curiosity, what was “odd” about the nif? Is there some unique way it’s made that tools like nif optimizer should be aware of?

also, sorry if this is a stupid question but is there a difference between  the sselodgen included with dyndolod and the one included in the latest sseedit build?

No need to worry abut funding. Donate to STEP or GamerPoets just because :)

Homestead contains a nif that has a NiNode root node instead of the usual BSFadeNode for such objects. It happens that enabling such a nif with the IsFullLOD flag causes CTD.

Changing the root node to BSFadeNode fixes that. In this particular case, DynDOLOD uses the nif as full model in static object LOD instead, which circumvents the problem altogether and is also better for performance.

For future troubleshooting, DynDOLOD 2.37 will mention NiNode used as root node in the log when it uses such a nif for dynamic LOD.

I bet you mean LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe which is not to be confused with xLODGen/TES5LODGen/SSELODGen and its special version DynDOLOD. Yeah I know we probably should have used somewhat better naming conventions...

In any case, there is only one LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe. Whatever tool/archive is the most recent upload has typically the latest version of it. 2.1.7 is the current build.

Newer versions of LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe however maybe incompatible with older versions of xLODGen. Typically its best to use the version shipped with the main tool xLODGen/DynDOLOD.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

Thanks for the detailed explanations! Is the NiNode thing an engine bug (ie something that could potentially be fixed by sse engine fixes) or working as intended and just being used incorrectly by homestead and/or the older dyndolod?

I am not sure if the same issue exists in the old Skyrim which would indicate that this "normal" behavior. There were a like a couple cases with mods were enabling IsFullLOD NIFs caused CTD, but I just ignored those models and never really looked into the cause. It could have been the same or something else entirely. The models display fine in nifskope and work in the game if used normally.

The default root node for all vanilla world models (with collision/Havok) seems to be BSFadeNodes and the game does not really enable/disable that many references with the IsFullLOD flag anyways. So NiNode probably only happen with older (3DSMax?) export plugin or when manually doing NIFs in nifskope.

In any case, the root node of a NIF is easily converted with niskope with a right click, Block, Convert, so trying to fix this in the engine seems more trouble than it is worth.

@Sheson

Has something changed with regards to the Output Path?

I usually use a desktop icon which has the following in the Icon properties target

D:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD.exe -SSE -o:D:\1-DynDOLOD-Out\

But my first run of 2.37 via the same icon has output to its own directory instead in ..

D:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\ <-- All folders / files (meshes and textures etc) end up in here

So it has ignored the icon output path -o:D:\1-DynDOLOD-Out\

@Sheson

Has something changed with regards to the Output Path?

I usually use a desktop icon which has the following in the Icon properties target

D:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD.exe -SSE -o:D:\1-DynDOLOD-Out\

But my first run of 2.37 via the same icon has output to its own directory instead in ..

D:\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\

So it has ignored the icon output path -o:D:\1-DynDOLOD-Out\

It seems so, but that was unintentional. I will check what happened.

Once you set a output path in the interface and generated LOD it will remember next time it loads.

Edit: DynDOLOD Standalone 2.37 beta 1 restores the old behavior by using -o until the preset is saved.

Edited by sheson