Realistic Lighting Overhaul (by The Realistic Lighting Team)

Kelmych

!!UPDATE WITHOUT VERSION CHANGE!!

New optional file: Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Darker Dungeons and Interiors

Load BEFORE any RLO main files to keep the lighting changes made to the edited cells inside RLO.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30450

I'm a little confused because here you say to load before the main files, but on nexus it says to load after any main files but before any modules you want to keep the settings from.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I thought, but mainly wanted to point out that the notes on the file on Nexus says after the main files. Anyway, now trying to figure out why everything is so bright and RLO doesn't appear to be working as it did before. I'll update if I ever figure it out. Might just start over and see what happens.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

You load it before as the text you posted states. This allows the cell edits to remain in place and not be overwritten.

Figured I'd try out the dark dungeons module too, and loaded it before all other RLO modules. Had a look in TES5Edit and this means that 99% of its changes are overwritten by the Dungeons file, which often just resets stuff back to vanilla values. Having a look at their forums on Nexus it seems you should indeed load it after Dungeons module if you decide to keep it, but before everything else even if BOSS doesn't sort it that way

Load BEFORE any RLO main files to keep the lighting changes made to the edited cells inside RLO.

I'm a little confused because here you say to load before the main files, but on nexus it says to load after any main files but before any modules you want to keep the settings from.

You load it before as the text you posted states. This allows the cell edits to remain in place and not be overwritten.

Figured I'd try out the dark dungeons module too, and loaded it before all other RLO modules. Had a look in TES5Edit and this means that 99% of its changes are overwritten by the Dungeons file, which often just resets stuff back to vanilla values. Having a look at their forums on Nexus it seems you should indeed load it after Dungeons module if you decide to keep it, but before everything else even if BOSS doesn't sort it that way

You've misread the conversation. Ath3nos was asking where to load the Darker Dungeons module not the main RLO files. Thus my response to the question was correct. You load the Darker Dungeons module (it) before the main files. This allows the edits (from the main files) to remain in place and not be overwritten (the main files overwrite the optional module).

You've misread the conversation. Ath3nos was asking where to load the Darker Dungeons module not the main RLO files. Thus my response to the question was correct. You load the Darker Dungeons module (it) before the main files. This allows the edits (from the main files) to remain in place and not be overwritten (the main files overwrite the optional module).

Nope, I think maybe just wasn't clear enough when I said "overwritten by the Dungeons file". If the Darker Dungeons module is loaded first of all the RLO files as suggested, then Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp will overwrite nearly all changes from Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeon Lighting.esp (the new file), making it pointless. 

Vond is correct, if the dungeon lighting esp is loaded before the main dungeon esp all RLO related edits will be overwritten and only a few cell edits which are untouched by any of the main RLO esp's remain. The best place to load the darker dungeons esp at the moment is after the main dungeons esp, though that unfortunately means quite a few cells that are in the main cities esp's will still not be darkened. Loading the darker dungeons esp after the cities esp's isn't an option either because that will undo most of the edits RLO makes.

I'm afraid the only way to have proper dark dungeons is to go through all the cell edits and make a patch yourself or find an alternative way of darkening.

For all the awesomeness the lighting of RLO brings it is unfortunate that a lot of the editing is done very messy. There are tons of conflicts between the different modules and I'm always surprised when mods of this magnitude still have ITM's and aren't properly cleaned.

Aha! Now you're making more sense. I hopped over to the Nexus page and found this:

Optional File added: Darker Dungeons and Interiors. To be replaced with Dungeons module when released.

Suggesting that it isn't a finished product yet and will eventually be a replacement module for the original Dungeons module. And this:

A quick edit of dungeon lighting templates. This file has very basic testing, and not all dungeons may be affected. Load after any RLO main files to over-write the main brightness settings. To keep certain module settings, load the file before that module, but after all others.

More evidence that it isn't finished yet. This also states it can be loaded anywhere. However, it's going to overwrite certain "module settings" depending on it's placement. My official recommendation would be to not use Dark Dungeons until it's finished as fully "replacement module" for the original Dungeons module.

More evidence that it isn't finished yet. This also states it can be loaded anywhere. However' date=' it's going to overwrite certain "module settings" depending on it's placement. My official recommendation would be to not use Dark Dungeons until it's finished as fully "replacement module" for the original Dungeons module.[/quote']

It's important to note though for the people who still want to use the darker dungeons module that eventhough the esp is in the BOSS-masterlist it is placed wrong and a manual override should be created for the module to have any effect. I suggest to load it after the RLO dungeons esp.

I actually removed the dungeons.esp as it states on the nexus page that it is something of a placeholder at present rather than a finished product which is probably why it is relatively vanilla at present. I use the darker dungeons one instead.

Still the whole thing is rather confusing - when the product is finally finished it will be great, but till then it's always going to be tricky to get the right combination of CoT, RLO + ENB.

Tempting to go back to RCRN for now till RLO is finished in all it's potential glory.

:confused:

It's quite possible with the combination of RLO and CoT than an ENB won't even be necessary for those that don't use the advanced settings such as SSAO and DOF. I've basically used ENB just for rendering the colors to be a bit more vibrant. Without ENB I have also play at 1600x900 on my laptop; with ENB I'm limited to 1366x768.

I'm not sure what's doing it but I've noticed that with RLO 4.0.7c (but not the new darker dungeons) and CoT 3.1 (all default settings) but no ENB the dungeons and caves look pretty nice. They are much better than vanilla - they remain bright around the light sources; corners and remote passages are deep in shadows and pretty dark. The overall effect is create create a nice "dungeony" atmosphere but it's still very playable without eye strain. Perhaps not the most realistic look but I like playing in it.