Realistic Lighting Overhaul (by The Realistic Lighting Team)

Kelmych

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My solution for this issue was to make my own altered version of Relighting Skyrim to only affect cells that RLO does not, since then you get the all around most realistic lighting solution. Since no interior lighting mod is complete yet, and it is an insanely massive undertaking that will require at least a years worth of work still.

Did you use version with or without scripts? Does anyone know what the scripts do?

There isn't much info on the mod page regarding this, but reading this:

-Scripts are only used where they are really needed; Bard's College, Proudspire Manor, Helgen Keep, Frostflow Lighthouse, and Karthspire. You may just notice a light or two turning on just as you round a corner but let me know of any other issues.

and the fact that the author calls it "Just In Time" scripts, I presume they do something along the lines of turning the lights only if they are visible or something similar...?

I tried out the latest EL&FX for a few hours last night and its really well done. A bit extreme in some areas... literally if there is no light it is DARK... bring your torch! Torches work really well and didn't into many "no way" lighting situations.

The latest versions use image spaces/colors from RLO with permission.

Did you have to make any TES5Edits to get it to work or were they largely the same changes needed for RLO? Should we maybe move this top of conversation to another thread? I think I made one for EL&FX somewhere in this forum.

Also what do you mean b "no way" lighting situations you mean there was absolutely no light?

If something' date=' like this, is found not to be realistic or you think some tweaks could be done, you could be helpful by reporting them to the RLO team. Constructive feedback is usually always welcomed as that's how mods (and most things) grow and mature. Just as long as it's done tactfully and not in a way that sounds like you're "dissing" their work.[/quote']

I'd report more to mod teams if the Nexus wasn't such an unfriendly mess. There's no way to be notified there if someone responds to me (that I know of), and with the Nexus being so slow I don't like dropping back in to check on all my posts and see what's happening.

The Nexus is just a terrible place to have a conversation and it really puts me off posting anything more than one-shot feedback.

Rootsrat: the JIT scripts are just that... they are supposed to turn off lights that are not required to be on when the player has no way of seeing them. This is supposed to help with performance since more lights do cost more CPU performance. AFAIK then the lights are done by CPU as well as shadows. 

I use the scripted version, since I found no reason not too. It did in fact help a bit with performance in helgen, so I assume that it does that in other locations as well. 

This also brings us back to the inn issue with the candles not being lit. If they where lit it would properly make the performance cost too high. since there are not any parts of the inn where you could turn off the lights without it being noticeable. 

As for ELFX... you could make it "compatible" the same way I made RL Skyrim "compatible"... delete the cells from RLO that conflict. This will make sure that only ELFX changes are used. The issue if you do not do this is that you will get multiple lights since the mods add content, they do not just alter vanilla entries. This makes for some really awkard lighting issues, as well as some performance ones.

I do not know how many areas that ELFX touch that RLO does not however. So it might not be relevant at all. But as it has been mentioned already, then this is properly not the place for this debate, since it is a bit away from the idea of testing the mod. 

If something' date=' like this' date=' is found not to be realistic or you think some tweaks could be done, you could be helpful by reporting them to the RLO team. Constructive feedback is usually always welcomed as that's how mods (and most things) grow and mature. Just as long as it's done tactfully and not in a way that sounds like you're "dissing" their work.[/quote'']

I'd report more to mod teams if the Nexus wasn't such an unfriendly mess. There's no way to be notified there if someone responds to me (that I know of), and with the Nexus being so slow I don't like dropping back in to check on all my posts and see what's happening.

The Nexus is just a terrible place to have a conversation and it really puts me off posting anything more than one-shot feedback.

IIRC you can click the view forum thread and then say follow this topic and I believe the instant notification option sends an email.

Tried out in the inn in morthal. Since I do use an ENB and have done some manual tweaking here and there, then it does not look as dark as in your pictures. I am still not sure if RLO even touches Morthal... since it hardly classifies as a large city, but I will take your word for it. I guess I can provide some screenshots of it later if required. But since my setup is so heavily tweaked then it is hardly representative of how the game will look with just RLO.

Also as torminater says...if only that where the case the game would be a lot nicer to look at.

@rootsrat and Aiyen

I've never used an ENB, in part because I was under the impression that nearly all of them just exacerbated the darkness issue. However, lately I've been thinking of trying out a few, and if they can actually be used to help lighten overly dark interiors that would be wonderful. Is it possible to share what tweaks you've made (and for that matter which ENBs you're using)? Since I've not used ENBs before and don't know what's involved with tweaking them, I'm not sure whether it's possible to easily share settings, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask.

ELFX is not compatible with RLO but Relightning Skyrim is compatible for the most part.

Just open RLO and Relightning Skyrim in TES5Edit and remove all the conflicting cell/worldspace from Relightning Skyrim.

Relightning Skyrim add, replace or move light source where it make sense. It is a great addition for area untouched by RLO.

Tried out in the inn in morthal. Since I do use an ENB and have done some manual tweaking here and there' date=' then it does not look as dark as in your pictures. I am still not sure if RLO even touches Morthal... since it hardly classifies as a large city, but I will take your word for it.[/quote']

I do apologise, I thought I'd checked that Morthal had indeed been done, but now I've looked into it again it appears it has not. This doesn't help the issue of course, but it does mean it may be rectified later.

Tried out in the inn in morthal. Since I do use an ENB and have done some manual tweaking here and there' date=' then it does not look as dark as in your pictures. I am still not sure if RLO even touches Morthal... since it hardly classifies as a large city' date=' but I will take your word for it.[/quote'']

I do apologise, I thought I'd checked that Morthal had indeed been done, but now I've looked into it again it appears it has not. This doesn't help the issue of course, but it does mean it may be rectified later.

In that case it's most certainly the ENB causing this then.