TechAngel85

Only two of these files are covered by BoS which seem to be the falmers included in the base game. BoS doesn't include the DLC content. This is enlightening because it means we have mismatched looking falmers in STEP. That alone makes me what to take a closer look at this since it covers all content.

I don't like this. Doesn't look like skin at all. Whatever filter the texture was dragged through it was, the result looks like... rough plastic or something. No wait, like rough leather. That's what happens when you simply upscale the vanilla textures as a base for your work. No matter how much work you do on it afterwards (and he probably did a lot), you still have to hide the blurriness somehow. Well this is it.

I am probably the extreme minority here, but I don't like any of his retextures for this very reason.

Edited by Octopuss

I wish that Insanity Sorrow released his Automatic Variants pack as a standalone mod. Those Falmer and Draugr he did like 3 years ago are still unmatched.

Couldnt you just redirect the mesh to a vanilla one that has the correct directories for the textures that are part of automatic variants?

You wouldnt be including any assets other than the edited vanilla mesh and people would need to download the AV package and install it.

I don't like this. Doesn't look like skin at all. Whatever filter the texture was dragged through it was, the result looks like... rough plastic or something. No wait, like rough leather. That's what happens when you simply upscale the vanilla textures as a base for your work. No matter how much work you do on it afterwards (and he probably did a lot), you still have to hide the blurriness somehow. Well this is it.

I am probably the extreme minority here, but I don't like any of his retextures for this very reason.

I seem to have noticed a reoccurring theme in your posts on testing threads. Most mods we end up testing seem to be "upscaled vanilla textures" to you. There's no possible way you can get some of the detail from Kajuan's mods simply from upscaling the vanilla texture.

Couldnt you just redirect the mesh to a vanilla one that has the correct directories for the textures that are part of automatic variants?

You wouldnt be including any assets other than the edited vanilla mesh and people would need to download the AV package and install it.

We'd have to get permissions to do that.

I agree with you that parts of some of the retextures look like filtered textures, but I've seen plenty of Kajuan's retextures that look like extra details were hand-placed in.  Adding in extra features or details to certain areas of a texture can make a big difference sometimes.  Regarding the skin, it is a creature, so its skin is not going to be like human skin.

I seem to have noticed a reoccurring theme in your posts on testing threads. Most mods we end up testing seem to be "upscaled vanilla textures" to you. There's no possible way you can get some of the detail from Kajuan's mods simply from upscaling the vanilla texture.

We'd have to get permissions to do that.

Only where the upscale is obvious. You guys really don't see it? Or you don't want to see it? Just open the vanilla texture in a viewer, upscale it to twice the size, then open the new one in another window, and switch between them a few times. If you still can't see the base is the same blurry mess then I don't know.

What I'm saying is that the BASE for the whole work is upscaled vanilla texture and then stuff is piled up on top of that. That might look perfectly fine (or even great) to some, but not to me. I'm just voicing my opinion here.

Edited by Octopuss

What is it that makes it bad then? I can't imagine you actually believe that there haven't been improvements on this texture from it's vanilla state.

This is visually better according to the STEP mandate and in better quality than the vanilla sources. Better than any other mod, well that is just up to the individual watching it and comparing it.

And by the way this isn't a human, if anything should be comparable in terms of how the skin should be it's that of elephants, rhino's or similar creatures based on the evolution of this race and it's current living behavior and habitat. And the way the designers of this creatures visuals was envisioned it to look like.

And as you I'm just leting my thoughts be out there for others to read and interpret. 

• +1 2

Only where the upscale is obvious. You guys really don't see it? Or you don't want to see it? Just open the vanilla texture in a viewer, upscale it to twice the size, then open the new one in another window, and switch between them a few times. If you still can't see the base is the same blurry mess then I don't know.

What I'm saying is that the BASE for the whole work is upscaled vanilla texture and then stuff is piled up on top of that. That might look perfectly fine (or even great) to some, but not to me. I'm just voicing my opinion here.

Stop stealing my job! ;-) The author is a nice person, but I'd love to see him/her stop slapping on grain and thinking it makes stuff more detailed. I can't actually believe this person posts texture file comparisons in the images too. Most people would try and hide that it's upscaled. That is some brass right there!

Upscaled or not, it still looks better. Probably half the textures mods available in the community are upscale versions of vanilla with details added and those types of mods are not new to STEP. This alone would not keep it from being in STEP. The base has to come from somewhere. As long as it looks better than vanilla.