The Ruffled Feather (By SparrowPrince)

Xaviien

I will send you the new files tomorrow Tech. I have only managed to do cliffs and mountain rock in Moss Rocks, but it will benefit SMIM users. Even though Brumbek smoothed these rocks they were never remapped for some reason. I have fixed all stretching and reduced seams by 50% or more.

Ess:

Yeah I remember you saying about AA. I had trouble with the canal gate on the one with the barrels. When you went exactly a foot from it, it crashed. It made that mod hard going. I found a way around it though obviously and it works well now.

Ciao.

Edited by Guest

How do you guys deal with the merge of all of Sparrow's mods into one? I spent a fair amount of time cluelessly staring into MO until I finally installed each of the mods separately.

Sparrow, I looked at the ice texture and am curious why it looks so different ingame. It's hardly blue at all, and there doesn't seem to be much detail. I suppose 4k texture (or maybe 2k normal map?) is out of question (but glaciers are huge, just like mountains)?... :P

Also, there is a fuzzy blurry vanilla texture not present in either yours or Real Ice (which I am using, but probably won't soon) mod called glaciersubsurface.dds. Does that play a significant role in how ice looks?

You could go further if you were bored and create some LODs :)

P.S. Any weird looking pieces of glaciers (like stretching around edges) should probably be reported to Brumbek I assume? (if he ever returns to modding, which seems about as likely as Cabal, apparently ::(:)

Edited by Octopuss

It's fairly easy once you know what you're doing. Just install it, check for conflicts and move mods/files as necessary to get the effect required. I posted a hack version to get people going right near the beginning of this thread, and Tech has provided the official instructions either in this thread or maybe EDT2 or something, or you could always follow the 2.2.9.1 guide. Some mods have been moved around a little bit to ensure the correct overrides occur.

I designed that ice texture based on your thoughts Octo and then you ran away somewhere and never looked at it. :-p

It looked pretty blue in my game with a nice hint of green to blend it with the default LOD. It is alright having a white cube like Real Ice, but that was not the original design choice, which is why I am having trouble wondering why it was included in STEP (no bitching, just wonder).

You could say a 4k texture is required perhaps, but you are forgetting the textures repeat about 12 times or something over the meshes. The texture you mention was probably not worth doing as I think it was meant to be a parallax texture, but Bethesda mixed the names up (so it's pointless really). The normal map is uncompressed which gives a nice smooth effect for the ice. Any more detail and you are taking up too much memory and just adding more grain.

I could look into the glaciers as there are not as many of them as mountains. The fact is though that it is incredibly boring and time consuming, so it depends how long I have hardware access as you probably know I am trying to stay away. I would think Brumbek is probably doing the same. ;-) I will look though when I can.

Thanks. :-)

Edited by Guest

I hear you.

I will actually ditch Real Ice in favour of your texture, because it does look better. I can't even rememeber when we talked about this - I haven't played any Skyrim since last july ::D:

My thinking is that if full 2k/4k textures are good (and noticeable) for mountains, they should be for glaciers as well. I'm not saying it's required, but I believe if done properly (as in no upscaling or whatever), the result could be astonishing (especially up close). I mean it's not bad at all, but the detail could be much better. These huge objects really suffer when looking them from close-up, and the textures start to "melt down" a bit. You could argue you don't normally get anywhere near a glacier when just playing the game, but aren't we screenarchers at heart at least a little bit anyway? ::P:

P.S. Are you saying the subsurface-something texture is actually not being used at all? Oh and what hardware access? Are you 14 and your parents are limiting your PC access due to bad grades? ::D: ::D:

Edited by Octopuss

I'm 14 and 3/4 and when I am 15 my pappy said I can have a Intel designed Chinese supercomputer. Oh wait!... Nah I sold my desktop to keep away from modding, so I borrow from friends now and again. I don't want my own again as I might as well take up smoking crack. Fixing this game is too addictive for some reason. I just like art and design I suppose.

Your image looks so different to the one on my mod page. I guess it depends on lighting and the saturation. The main texture is 2k, but I always use half uncompressed normal map files. When I have a look at the meshes I will see if a bit more repetition would help with clarity.

The 'subsurface' or 'parallax' texture is probably used, but I will have to check. It probably is not as parallax was broken until ENB fixed. Parallax would probably look weird with the inner layer 'subsurface' texture though. The latter texture creates a layer inside the mesh so it looks more like realistic ice.

That's an original approach to controlling an addiction ::D: You could always do it like fadingsignal though: work on as many mods simultaneously as possible. In other words: don't fight a war you cannot win ::D:

The image comes from unmodded game (I don't take the patches as mods). I don't get it. I don't use ENB either.

I have a small update to WATER when the time comes for another update. If it'll be a while before any files are worked on, I'll go ahead and upload it. The first main changes are making the DLC ESPs replacement files. This means users will no longer require both the WATER and the DLC ESP. This eliminates one ESP from the load order. The second main change is making the WATER Plants an optional installation in the FOMOD rather than it being installed by default. This allows users to install and use that optional with other water mods such as Realistic Water Two without having to install the core WATER files as well.

I may send you those files to test this weekend if I get it finished, so I would hold off until I can get that sorted. That sounds good by the way, if it means what I think it does. So based on your choice, it will only install one plugin called 'WATER.esp' and it could have DLC plugins included too? Cool. The plants option sounds fine. Thanks.