General Feedback

Suggestions - the Samsara ENB is my favourite one ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/20105/? ) and it includes particularly clear advice for .ini and NVidia Inspector tweaking, including some tweaks I did not know about.

CRAFT clutter conversion ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/15326/? ) is nothing huge, but it allows for breaking down clutter into components, or building clutter from components. Handy for people who tinker a lot.

IMO the Adaptive Combat Rifle mod, even with the FWE compatibility patch, remains overpowered. 34 damage for a 5.56mm round in LMG configuration is... big.

EDIT - and Sniper Aim Corrected ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2666/? ) is in my experience a must-have. Is saved me so much frustration.

Edited by Ghostwise

Yeah but the current MO build with the script built in it has issues and I'd suggest not updating if you haven't already.

If you are referring to 1.2.16, ModOrg currently cannot auto-update to it, perhaps because of this problem.

Best I can do right now with a fresh install is 1.2.15.

Hey,

I'm quite happy I stumbled upon this guide. I thought I had researched FO3 modding pretty well, but looks like I was optimistic. :-)

FWIW I made a tweak mod for the Dragonskin armour mod -- https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/20874/ -- which is compatible with the revised textures in the mod and properly adjusts values for a FWE game.

I might make more in the unlikely scenario where I have more time (also did one for the venerable Leather Backpack mod).

That's great. The T3T patches are quite old and haven't been updated in a long time. I added this to the guide, and I'm reviewing the other mods you  and others have suggested recently.

The initial version of the patch for the Adaptive Combat Rifle I made, similar to what T3T did for the ACR but updated, is available here.

I also added the recent update of MO and the removal of the legacy script mod to the guide.

IMO the Adaptive Combat Rifle mod, even with the FWE compatibility patch, remains overpowered. 34 damage for a 5.56mm round in LMG configuration is... big.

I agree that using the T3T compatibility patch for the ACR makes it too powerful. Take a look at the initial version of the updated compatibility patch I created for the ACR. It's available here. I reduced the ACR statistics for all variants except the sniper version to make it comparable to those of other 5.56mm FWE rifles, although the ACR might still be too powerful. Even with FWE it seems like the ammo caliber doesn't make as much difference as it should for all the weapons. Let me know if you have some alternate suggestions for the ACR statistics.

I agree that using the T3T compatibility patch for the ACR makes it too powerful. Take a look at the initial version of the updated compatibility patch I created for the ACR. It's available here. I reduced the ACR statistics for all variants except the sniper version to make it comparable to those of other 5.56mm FWE rifles, although the ACR might still be too powerful. Even with FWE it seems like the ammo caliber doesn't make as much difference as it should for all the weapons. Let me know if you have some alternate suggestions for the ACR statistics.

Oh good I don't have to do it then. :-) I'll have a glance at the old FWE patch for ZealotLee's MP5 instead if health allows, I think it could use some toning down and being on fewer levelled lists.

Mod Organizer 1.2.16 with Clear and Present Danger - cannot install FWE part 1, the Nexus script barfs a pointer exception. :-/ Was already reported by another guy - https://issue.tannin.eu/tbg/modorganizer/issues/919 .

Edited by Ghostwise

Mod Organizer 1.2.16 with Clear and Present Danger - cannot install FWE part 1, the Nexus script barfs a pointer exception. :-/

Yes, that has been true for some time unfortunately. You can open the archives and remove the fomod folder from each and save them and then install FWE from the changed archive. With that fomod folder removed MO handles it as any other mod and you can move any unwanted plugins using the MO GUI.

Yes, that has been true for some time unfortunately. You can open the archives and remove the fomod folder from each and save them and then install FWE from the changed archive. With that fomod folder removed MO handles it as any other mod and you can move any unwanted plugins using the MO GUI.

Will do, thank for your advice. I was hoping to report that the super-recent 1.2.16 fixed the issue, but alas...

Incidentally I'll politely disagree with Kelmych about not recommending the optional FWE fast travel modification. Personally I enjoy that FWE makes everything harder, grittier and detail-oriented. Travelling across the Wasteland is supposed to be quite dangerous and require preparation, and safely teleporting across the map (vanilla safe travel) is dissonant with that.

At least with the bike there's a rationale for this, and you know that safe teleportation is the product of your efforts.

Minor bits of feedback about the procedure :

- Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision is there twice :-) (on each side of trap detection)

- In the Dynamic Crosshair explanations, should the puzzling "move open menus" be "remove the menus folder" ? Or should the prefabs folder be created inside the menus folder ?

- Smoothlight (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/18389/?) is a possible alternative to Flashlight - I'd argue it's more immersive but it's just taste.

- My understanding is that saves *will* eventually get corrupted if CASM isn't used instead of the in-game autosaves, the latter being best completely deactivated. If this understanding is correct it may be worth mentioning it.

- The FoMod in Better High Detail Maps and Icon seems to currently be borked with ModOrg - no error message but the first install option screen repeats thrice and the resources aren't visible (the values in map_menu.xml also seem wrong).

- The text isn't clear as to where one finds the "Invincible Enclave" bugfix for Powered Power Armour, and whether it's part of the current procedure.

-Determining what should be DDSopt'd in UHQ terrain overhaul would be fantastic... but you knew that.

- Metro Carriage Interiors (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19988/?) is quite comparable to BusWorld, but IMO it's better and I haven't run into stability issues.

- When installing Wasteland Clothing HiRes I did not have a choice to untick, perhaps because of a FOMOD/ModOrg issue. I deleted the listed folders from the ModOrg filetree before activating the mod.

- The links for the Type3/Mart's Mutant Mod raider mods seem to have been swapped

- Isn't there already an AKS-74U in FWE ? I'm semi-sure I ran into some para version of an AK with FWE being my only mod-with-guns running.

- The version of 20th century weapon on Gamefront is currently unreachable (403 - Forbidden, assuming that there isn't a gateway timeout). Maybe hosting the file somewhere else as a backup would help, since a lot of alternative download possibilities look... iffy in terms of security and spam.

Edited by Ghostwise

Minor bits of feedback about the procedure :

- Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision is there twice :-) (on each side of trap detection)

- In the Dynamic Crosshair explanations, should the puzzling "move open menus" be "remove the menus folder" ? Or should the prefabs folder be created inside the menus folder ?

- Smoothlight (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/18389/?) is a possible alternative to Flashlight - I'd argue it's more immersive but it's just taste.

- My understanding is that saves *will* eventually get corrupted if CASM isn't used instead of the in-game autosaves, the latter being best completely deactivated. If this understanding is correct it may be worth mentioning it.

- The FoMod in Better High Detail Maps and Icon seems to currently be borked with ModOrg - no error message but the first install option screen repeats thrice and the resources aren't visible (the values in map_menu.xml also seem wrong).

- The text isn't clear as to where one finds the "Invincible Enclave" bugfix for Powered Power Armour, and whether it's part of the current procedure.

-Determining what should be DDSopt'd in UHQ terrain overhaul would be fantastic... but you knew that.

- Metro Carriage Interiors (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19988/?) is quite comparable tu BusWorld, but IMO it's better and I haven't run into stability issues.

I agree on Metro Carriage Interiors.  As I said in my post in the mods section, there is even a version of BusWorld floating around that is made compatible with Metro Carriage Interiors and DC Interiors. His other two mods are great too, though one conflicts with AWOP.

Edited by Adonis_VII

Okay, found the trick -- the 20th century weapons file on Gamefront is geographically restricted. I cunningly disguised myself as an American and it's downloading, no more 403.

FWIW, all I could find on various websites smelling of crime and unwashed toilets were v5 and v5.1.

Continuing my hopefully helpful notes - is there a reason not to do the 1.32 update for ZealotLee's MP5 pack ? The texture does have problems IME.

The text for Essential Retex goes "Higher resolution retextures of Higher resolution retextures", which is approved by the Redundant Ministry for Redundancy. :-p

Why install MG's Neat Clutter after Retextured Labels ? Doesn't it overwrite almost everything ?

When installing T3TforFWE's ZealotLee Weapons Pack, I assume that the ACR .esp should be made optional since a FWE-friendly patch was already installed previously ?

Shouldn't the DDSopt link point toward https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt/Fallout instead  ?

Three ALIVE .esps are considered as masters by 20th Century weapons Reborn for FWE. Looks like a problem :

20th Century v5 ALIVE (Chinese Ghoul).esp
20th Century v5 ALIVE (SuperMutant).esp
20th Century v5 ALIVE (TEST Container).esp

Incidentally I took roughly eleven hours to go through everything, with a reasonably fast connection and a basic understanding of all tools - except the DDSopt stuff which I still have to do because DDSopt is scary. Mind you, I'm sick as a dog and wasn't going to anything productive today, so... But it could be useful info for newbies.
Edited by Ghostwise