General Feedback

Great guide overall.  I just built my girlfriend's brother his first gaming PC and plan on introducing him to Fallout 3/New Vegas over Christmas, and this is really helping me with some mods I hadn't noticed before.  One question/point though, why did you choose A Useful Metro Map - Texture Replacement instead over Metro Map Replacer? While it certainly is more informative over the latter, it feels incredibly gamey. I may be biased as I grew up in NOVA, but the latter is much closer the the actual maps style while still being helpful with the ingame world, and seems alot more immersive.

I didn't feel any of the metro map replacers were what I actually wanted. Metro Map Replacer has a much better "look and feel" but doesn't correspond to the connections that Bethesda actually used (e.g., in Fallout 3 Vernon Square is close to Friendship Heights , but not in the Metro Map Replacer map where Vernon Square is far to the south and east of Friendship Heights). Most of the map alternatives were "gamey" to me in a different way; they provide inaccurate or incomplete information that doesn't correspond to the actual layout of the Fallout 3 Metro.  I could not see any reason why the maps at Metro sites should be purposely inaccurate relative to the Fallout 3 version of the DC area; the maps are intended to help people use the Metro, not hinder them. The bombs didn't move the Metro entrances. I used Metro Map Replacer and some other replacers in a previous playthrough Fallout 3, and I always found it annoying that the maps were nearly useless at showing many of the actual above ground entrances in Fallout 3. I agree that "A Useful Metro Map" provides too much information since it includes side paths, but as I said I can't find a map replacer with a good look and feel that has accurate basic pre-bomb Fallout Metro connections.

Of course, there is no reason why you can't use the map replacer you prefer; it doesn't affect anything else in the game. If someone prefers a map that just provides a rough guideline of the Metro lines then Metro Map Replacer is better.

• 4 weeks later...

Help please, 

I have installed Clear & present danger and everything started up good. Fantastic Guide.

I found mod organiser couldn't open two gun meshes from the mod "20th Century Weapons" when installing. Install failed.

- 1150x35mm RagingBull Smith&Wesson

- 560x15mm M-10_22 Ruger Charger

I deleted these two mesh folders and the rest of the mod installed.

On playing I have found missing mesh red symbols when fighting the raiders in Springfield school.

and on arriving at the "Chrysler building" the whole ground floor is missing.

Any Ideas on what I may have done wrong?

Thanks

Ok... 

This may be multiple posts over time because I am following the guide and I got lost on more than a few parts.

In the inis section, Im guessing I have to add a few lines because they were not originally in the inis

FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition

The instructions are really confusing. I spent about 10 min reading it.

I have attentions issues, so it's not abnormal.

maybe something like the following:

Install Part 1, Part 2 and the hotfix in that order<br />

Download and then install MO "DarnUI_Support_for_FWE". <br />

:This mod includes an updated version of the DarNifiedUIF3.esp plugin (which already includes the DarNifiedUIF3 hotfix); this plugin will be used instead of the plugin from the DarNified F3 mod previously installed.<br />

Download and then install with MO "Primary Needs Sound Disabler"

:This eliminates the annoying heartbeat sound when one or more of the primary need values is low. 

Double click FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition in the left pane of MO, and select the Optional ESPs tab.<br />

Move at least one of the "FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers*" plugins into Optional ESPs.<br />

<br />

If [[#Marts_Mutant_Mod_-_RC_62|MMM]] is used, then when Creating a Bashed Patch select "FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm", then right click the bash tags window in the lower right of the Wrye Flash window and remove Names.

Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision

What do you mean by "During installation of the main file make sure all options are ticked."

do you mean this

c1ac9f17db.jpg

Even though you say "Cleaning" for the mods that need to be cleaned, maybe it'll be beneficial to say what *.esm/*.esp need to be cleaned

The whole "Fallout NV Equivalent:" makes the guide feel cluttered

It may be worth removing it.

Better High Detail map and Icons

Can you provide instructions for what you recommend because I am unfamiliar with FO3 and have zero clue what I am doing

and now I am frustrated 

:/ 

Im stuck at the last thing I talked about...

So far the guide seems very vague and when there is very specific info that is needed is hidden in a block of text.

Maybe make the important info stand out. Like the plugins, verbs, downloads, etc.

Try to make the instructions have as few words as possible but still make sense and be very specific.

IDK, maybe its just me...

Ok... 

This may be multiple posts over time because I am following the guide and I got lost on more than a few parts.

In the inis section, Im guessing I have to add a few lines because they were not originally in the inis

Which ones?

FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition

The instructions are really confusing. I spent about 10 min reading it.

I have attentions issues, so it's not abnormal.

maybe something like the following:

Install Part 1, Part 2 and the hotfix in that order<br />

Download and then install MO "DarnUI_Support_for_FWE". <br />

:This mod includes an updated version of the DarNifiedUIF3.esp plugin (which already includes the DarNifiedUIF3 hotfix); this plugin will be used instead of the plugin from the DarNified F3 mod previously installed.<br />

Download and then install with MO "Primary Needs Sound Disabler"

:This eliminates the annoying heartbeat sound when one or more of the primary need values is low. 

Double click FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition in the left pane of MO, and select the Optional ESPs tab.<br />

Move at least one of the "FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers*" plugins into Optional ESPs.<br />

<br />

If [[#Marts_Mutant_Mod_-_RC_62|MMM]] is used, then when Creating a Bashed Patch select "FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm", then right click the bash tags window in the lower right of the Wrye Flash window and remove Names.

The guide was revised to use these improved installation instructions

Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision

What do you mean by "During installation of the main file make sure all options are ticked."

The guide was revised to describe the options in the FOMOD window that show up in installation

Even though you say "Cleaning" for the mods that need to be cleaned, maybe it'll be beneficial to say what *.esm/*.esp need to be cleaned

LOOT can detect versions of each plugin (using checksums) and include cleaning details for the specific plugins that need cleaning. I provided detailed cleaning entries for the mods in the guide to the LOOT team for inclusion in the LOOT masterlist. I feel that having LOOT provide this detail is better than having the details in the guide (as you point out, keeping it shorter when possible can be better) 

The whole "Fallout NV Equivalent:" makes the guide feel cluttered

It may be worth removing it.

Several users have commented that they find it useful. I included it since some of the mods have better or at least complementary descriptions on the pages for the FNV versions of the mod.

Better High Detail map and Icons

Can you provide instructions for what you recommend because I am unfamiliar with FO3 and have zero clue what I am doing

The instructions were rewritten to correspond to the options on the FOMOD GUI; see if they are sufficiently clear now. The previous instructions were indeed very hard to follow.

and now I am frustrated 

:/ 

Im stuck at the last thing I talked about...

So far the guide seems very vague and when there is very specific info that is needed is hidden in a block of text.

Maybe make the important info stand out. Like the plugins, verbs, downloads, etc.

This would be a useful topic to discuss across all the STEP guides that use a line-oriented (vs. column oriented) format.

Try to make the instructions have as few words as possible but still make sense and be very specific.

IDK, maybe its just me...

Thanks for the comments as they are certainly useful; the areas you mentioned weren't very clear in the guide.

As you find more issues or questions please post them.

as for the inis...
In fallout.ini:
[General]
bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles = 1
iNumHWThreads=2

As you seem to like the suggestions that I present...
Maybe revamping the Merging instructions so that its super clear.
Personally, I am very familiar with the merging procedure so it seems very wordy.

for example:
 Open FO3Edit through MO.
 Right click the list of mods and "Select None".
 Now tick the following mods and click [OK]:
 {{Fc|white|Detect Traps - DLC.esp}}
 {{Fc|white|Detect Traps - Perk.esp}}
 {{Fc|white|Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp}}
 After FO3Edit loads, right click on "Detect Traps - DLC.esp" and select "Apply Script".
 From the dropdown ''Script'' menu at the top select ''Merge Plugins v1.75'' and click [OK].
 In the Merge Plugins pop up, tick "Detect Traps - DLC.esp", "Detect Traps - Perk.esp", and "Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp". Then untick "Renumber FormIDs", and click [OK].
 '''NOTE''': If all the plugins are not listed, expand the window size to show the missing plugins.
 In the next pop up click [OK], then give the merged plugin a name and click [OK]. ''Detect Traps Merged'' is recommended.
 Close FO3Edit and save '''ONLY''' the new plugin.
 The plugin now resides in the ''Overwrite'' folder, so double click to open the Overwrite folder.
 From the Overwrite pop-up, drag the "Detect Traps Merged.esp" into the ''Advanced Recon Trap Detection'' mod in the left pane of MO.
 In the left pane of MO, double click ''Advanced Recon Trap Detection''.
 Now go to the "Optional ESPs" tab and move the "Detect Traps - DLC.esp", "Detect Traps - Perk.esp", and "Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp" to the Optional ESPs box.

could be summarized into the following...
Im messing up the markup so you'll need to make some changes

Merge:
*{{Fc|white|Detect Traps - DLC.esp}}
*{{Fc|white|Detect Traps - Perk.esp}}
*{{Fc|white|Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp}}
Special Options
*untick "Renumber FormIDs"
Suggested name is ''Detect Traps Merged''
Hide the merged plugins

As for the Better High Detail Map and Icons
I still dont know which one to choose...
The first three pages are for different versions of pipboy but which on should I select 8k with roads instead of none.

Maybe mention that is doesn't or say what page of the installer is for X type of pipboy

Ah, figured it out after looking at the fomod installer.

disable FOMOD installer in mo and it shows the picture on the 2nd page of the installer with the FOMOD installer enabled in MO

That may be incorrect so double check it

I would recommend adding a   to the end of the indicator so that is doesn't look cutoff

{{Indicator|8|16|#739472|#5C6F5C|#A8C9A7|MedRes }}
{{Indicator|8|16|#E6E600|#B2B200|#1A1A00|Cleaning }}

hmmm
I see this in the guide and I think you wanted that commented out but I'll let you fix it.
<--
[EDIT]Canterbury Commons Overhaul

LowRes

Cleaning

• Author: MizunoTakarai
  • Version: vLatest
  • Notes: Small overhaul that merges several Canterbury Commons mods and adds new resources and fixes some bugs in Canterbury Commons, making it more interesting place. If there are problems with the ESP plugin there is an optional ESM version of the plugin.
  • Installation: Get the main file and the ESP Update update. Install the main file with MO and the update file on top of it using [Merge].

!-->

in loot it says

Big Town Overhaul [GangStore].esp
CRC: 563DB400
Error: This plugin is incompatible with "Big Town Overhaul.esp", but both are present.
Warning: Contains 53 ITM records and 684 UDR records. Clean with FO3Edit.
Big Town Overhaul.esp
CRC: C6024D8A
Error: This plugin is incompatible with "Big Town Overhaul [GangStore].esp", but both are present.

My guess is to remove the Big Town Overhaul.esp

for Wasteland clothing Hires retexture

maybe this would be better

* '''Installation''': Download the main file. Install with MO.
When installing uncheck<br />
''textures''\
*''clothes''
*''nvdlc04''
*''nvdlcpre1''
*''nvdlcpre3''
''meshes''\
*''armor''\
**''powdergang''

the ''\'' result in a pipe for some reason.

I like lists and instructions that are more vertical rather than horizontal.

RobCo Certified

the instructions do not make any sense but it may be just a grammar issue

Im going with a full install.

If EVE is used, move all patches with RobCo Certified v2 in the name, RobCo Certified v2 Zeta Addon.esp, and RobCo Certified v2 Version Updater.esp to Optional ESPs. The RobCo Certified v2 Omnipatch.esp from another mod will be used (see below).

Is it supposed to be 

If EVE is used, move all patches with RobCo Certified v2 in the name.
The RobCo Certified v2 Omnipatch.esp from another mod will be used (see below).

because after removing all of the RobCo Certified v2* 

I only have three esps left which are 

RobCo Certified v2.esm

Companion Core.esm

Companion Core DLC Addon.esp

RobCo Certified Textures does not install correctly for me.

disable mo FOMOD installer

Enclave DX

you have two highres tags

I would have people disable the FOMOD installer in mo and then use the NCC plugin that EssArrBee suggested.
Some instructions will have to be rewritten or adapted.

From now on any issue I have with installers will be because of this.

eXcalibr - ammo eXpansion pack

the installer has two options

*Override

*Override for FWE 6.0.3

Im going to assume neither.

32 revolver Millenia replacer

the second part of the instructions are easy to miss. I read through it a few times until I was able to figure it out.

Millenias FO3 Weapons Fixed Iron Sights

in the bain installer make a list of what should be ticked.

I think tick all except screenshots would be satisfactory

20th Century Weapons

Why do you have me move the xCALIBR_20CW_v5.12.esp in to the data folder and then tell me to move "xCALIBR_20CW" to the optionals?

EVE - Energy Visuals Enhanced

on the mod page it has "RobCo Certified Omnipatch for Paradox EVE"

maybe that is useful somewhere.

Zealotlees MP5 Pack

there is a 1.32 patch... should it be used?

Delay DLC

you say move ThePitt to optionals but there is also ThePitt + Anchorage plugin.

Im assuming that you mean both.

Throughout the entire guide there are several plugins that mention that they need to be cleaned but there isn't a message in loot.

I suggested this before maybe include a list at the end the require cleaning.

I would say you only need to use plugin name so that on the start of XEdit you can just copy paste the name

Crowded Cities v2

In the Record Flags row, right click the blank area to the right of the vertical line.

OR

you can just open it in wrye flash and esmify self

I dont think the extension change is necessary. I think gamebryo is only worried about the header

as for the inis...

In fallout.ini:

[General]

bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles = 1

iNumHWThreads=2

The ini section include the first parameter, and the second is listed an optional entry that is often needed.

As you seem to like the suggestions that I present...

Maybe revamping the Merging instructions so that its super clear.

Personally, I am very familiar with the merging procedure so it seems very wordy.

Yes, but I want to make sure those that aren't familiar with the instructions know how to proceed. You'll find the same instructions in the Fallout NV guide, by the way, since I took them from that guide. Perhaps if an example is added when the mod is initially described the short version could be used.

As for the Better High Detail Map and Icons

I still dont know which one to choose...

The first three pages are for different versions of pipboy but which on should I select 8k with roads instead of none.

Maybe mention that is doesn't or say what page of the installer is for X type of pipboy

Ah, figured it out after looking at the fomod installer.

disable FOMOD installer in mo and it shows the picture on the 2nd page of the installer with the FOMOD installer enabled in MO

That may be incorrect so double check it

This isn't true with my MO installation. With the internal FOMOD installer enabled I get the menu with the options when I install the mod; I don't need the external installer.

I'm testing the new FOMOD script that EssArrBee mentioned to see if it will work with Fallout 3 (it should); if it works the FOMODs should be easier to install.

I would recommend adding a   to the end of the indicator so that is doesn't look cutoff

{{Indicator|8|16|#739472|#5C6F5C|#A8C9A7|MedRes }}
{{Indicator|8|16|#E6E600|#B2B200|#1A1A00|Cleaning }}

Good idea; I'll add these.

Enclave DX

you have two highres tags

I would have people disable the FOMOD installer in mo and then use the NCC plugin that EssArrBee suggested.

I'm testing this now; it would be simpler to not need FOMM fork. I'm not sure which instructions would need changing in the guide.

Some instructions will have to be rewritten or adapted.

From now on any issue I have with installers will be because of this.

Thanks for the changes, they have been incorporated in the guide.

Zealotlees MP5 Pack

there is a 1.32 patch... should it be used?

The 1.32 patch isn't needed since the plugin is replaced by the KDS ironsights version.

Throughout the entire guide there are several plugins that mention that they need to be cleaned but there isn't a message in loot.

I suggested this before maybe include a list at the end the require cleaning.

I would say you only need to use plugin name so that on the start of XEdit you can just copy paste the name

I added a comment in the Run LOOT section that mentions LOOT hasn't added all the instructions I sent yet.

Crowded Cities v2

In the Record Flags row, right click the blank area to the right of the vertical line.

OR

you can just open it in wrye flash and esmify self

The guide was updated

I dont think the extension change is necessary. I think gamebryo is only worried about the header

This bothers me also. What do you suggest?

I have more stuff in post 174 which you may have missed

for the crowded cities deal.

I would say just use wrye flash and esmify self and then as long as FO3 doesnt care about the extension then I would say dont worry about the extension. I know skyrim doesnt care and some plugins that are that way also which are FO3 Wanders Edition - Alternate Travel.esp and PlasmaRifleAwesomefied.esp