Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Talking about fertile vs unfertile vs non-esp WFO - I use non-esp just to keep things simpler.  But what I really want to say is that one thing I disable immediately upon starting a new game are the extra storms in Nevada Skies.  I don't think they make sense - here's why.  The desert is like it is because it doesn't rain much, on top of that the rain effect of the mod doesn't even look all that good, and it also negatively affects FPS (all the storms do).  Rad-storms seem to be pretty dangerous - too dangerous - and NPCs and creatures don't even react to them so that totally breaks immersion to see people out farming and what-not in the middle of a deadly rad-storm.  The idea that the New Vegas area was mostly untouched by the nuclear war doesn't hold true if rad-storms are blowing through regularly either.  The sand storms I almost kept enabled because I think they make the most sense of all of them, but I decided against doing so because if such storms were blowing through all the time then the landscape would look totally different than it does.  It would be more like sand dune type desert.  Once again, NPCs don't react to the sand storms at all either.

Okay, Refill Water Bottles was updated and finally got added to the guide. The author was nice enough to add some files from William and myself, so now you can craft some bottles of water.

Some of the BOSS and LOOT masterlist stuff is getting some much overdue work done to it, so thank William for that. I here he's not against receiving Steam gifts. ::P:

I've heard that the 140 plugin limit may be getting some work done on it by some very talented individuals, so 255 plugins may be something we see in the near future.

Also, if you are having issue starting the game with the current list of mods, extract Afterschool Special's BSA, and maybe the Courier's Stash Integration BSA. I don't know if that bug is from ~32 BSAs or the 255 character limit and I'm being lazy about testing it so, just extract a couple.

I just went through a reinstall of F&LNV today. SomeguySeries.esm is not recognized in BUM so I placed it just after the YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm. Also KFE - Refill Water Bottles.esp is not recognized yet, I placed it alphabetically under the Crafting category. Are these placements alright?

I noticed a small editing error under the PB-6P9 install instructions. It says: Move "singleshot_retex.esp" to the "Optional ESPs" box.

I appreciate all your work on this guide.

Curious though - once LOOT also gets updated with the newest FNV plugin priorities (which is going to be around the same time as BOSS does, right?), are you going to recommend using LOOT over BOSS in the guide (or here in the forum), or are you going to stick with BOSS as the one to use until LOOT comes out of beta?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

LOOT's masterlist would need to sort things properly first. Second it would need to apply Bash Tags because my list of mods cannot work without a proper Bashed Patch. You would have to spend a full day making a patch that Bashed Patch makes in a couple minutes. Lastly, I would need to test it out for a couple days. I have already played with LOOT and noticed a lot of the little things that were not correct because of the lack of bash tags the masterlist has. Luckily for us WilliamImm is part of the BOSS/LOOT masterlist submitters, so this type of thing can get solved for us.

Right, so IOW when WilliamImm gets done submitting the plugin priority tags for both BOSS and LOOT masterlists, then using LOOT will be just as good as using BOSS to sort the mods listed in your guide even though it's still beta?  I've seen a lot of Skyrim modders who have already switched to LOOT.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Yeah, Skyrim is different because we don't have a fully developed Bashed Patch, and because there is not weapon modding in Skyrim. The WMX-Eve-PN mods touch so many weapon records that you just wouldn't be able to make them work together without some serious patching. They all have patches for each other already, but that still doesn't solve everything unless you use the Bashed Patch.

Hey, I need all the mods not sorted by BOSS to verify my own list of mods. Just list the mod or plugin, I'll find it. Here's my list if you want to check against what I have.

• SomeguySeries.esm Active
  • Sortomatic_for_House_of_the_Chef.esp Version 1.1 Active
  • Tales PN.esp Active
  • ADAM Complete.esp Active (ignore this mod, something I've got cooking)
  • ADAM Complete - Project Nevada Patch.esp (ignore this mod, something I've got cooking)
  • AnimatedFanV2.esp
  • Tutorial Killer - Alternative Start.esp Active

Make sure your user rules are disabled before running.

OK - I have to install BOSS, a week ago I was stupid and was using LOOT to sort everything. At that time I didn't realize that it wasn't sorting a lot of plugins correctly.  Since then I stopped my serious game play to watch, wait, and update my mod configuration while you updated the guide.  I figured that by the time you stopped adding new mods that LOOT bash tags would be good and I wouldn't even have to bother with BOSS.  If you just want me to run BOSS without extra manually entered user rules, no problem.  I can do that.

[spoiler=BOSS Unrecognized Plugins list]The following plugins were not found in the masterlist, and must be positioned manually, using your favourite mod manager or by using BOSS's user rules functionality. You can submit unrecognised plugins for addition to the masterlist directly from this log by clicking on a plugin and supplying a link and/or description of its contents in the panel that is displayed.SomeguySeries.esm ActiveTales PN.esp ActiveAnimatedFanV2.espSortomatic_for_House_of_the_Chef.esp Version 1.1 Active

*Note - I have the Alternative Start mod disabled because I prefer the vanilla game start, as a result I also put the Tutorial Killer - Alternative Start esp into Optional ESPs (so that esp is not in my BOSS list for that reason).

BTW - I'm seeing a bunch of mods that say they have dirty edits.  Here, let me create another list with just those ones:

[spoiler=BOSS marking some plugins as having dirty edits]FCO - Roberts Patch.espContains dirty edits: 1 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs FNVEdit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.FCO - OWB.espBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Actors.ACBS, NpcFaces, NPC.Race}}Contains dirty edits: 18 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs FNVEdit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.RagdollOverhaulULTIMATE.esp ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Actors.Skeleton}}Contains dirty edits: 15 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs FNVEdit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

I take it I should clean these in FNVEdit?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I get this note when running BOSS.

Note: The order of plugins set by BOSS differs from their order in its masterlist, as one or more of the installed plugins is false-flagged.

FNVEdit shows these 3 plugins flagged a esm's. Should I change the flag and re-sort or just ignore and start my play through.

• Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Names, Invent}}
  • Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp Active
  • NVWillow.esp Version 1.05 Active

I know it is not part of F&LNV but NevadaSkies - Brighter Nights.esp has no sort rule, but it is bashed into the patch, so it ends up inactive.

OK - I have to install BOSS, a week ago I was stupid and was using LOOT to sort everything. At that time I didn't realize that it wasn't sorting a lot of plugins correctly. Since then I stopped my serious game play to watch, wait, and update my mod configuration while you updated the guide. I figured that by the time you stopped adding new mods that LOOT bash tags would be good and I wouldn't even have to bother with BOSS. If you just want me to run BOSS without extra manually entered user rules, no problem. I can do that.

[spoiler=BOSS Unrecognized Plugins list]The following plugins were not found in the masterlist, and must be positioned manually, using your favourite mod manager or by using BOSS's user rules functionality. You can submit unrecognised plugins for addition to the masterlist directly from this log by clicking on a plugin and supplying a link and/or description of its contents in the panel that is displayed.

SomeguySeries.esm Active

Tales PN.esp Active

AnimatedFanV2.esp

Sortomatic_for_House_of_the_Chef.esp Version 1.1 Active

*Note - I have the Alternative Start mod disabled because I prefer the vanilla game start, as a result I also put the Tutorial Killer - Alternative Start esp into Optional ESPs (so that esp is not in my BOSS list for that reason).

BTW - I'm seeing a bunch of mods that say they have dirty edits. Here, let me create another list with just those ones:

[spoiler=BOSS marking some plugins as having dirty edits]FCO - Roberts Patch.espContains dirty edits: 1 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs FNVEdit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

FCO - OWB.espBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Actors.ACBS, NpcFaces, NPC.Race}}

Contains dirty edits: 18 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs FNVEdit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

RagdollOverhaulULTIMATE.esp ActiveBash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Actors.Skeleton}}

Contains dirty edits: 15 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs FNVEdit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.

I take it I should clean these in FNVEdit?

Thanks for the list. Yes clean those mods. Me and William have been going through mods and looking for errors, udrs, and ITMs. Don't worry about not using alternative start, when you get bored doc Mitchell's house it will be there for you.

Make sure when cleaning only clean what needs to be cleaned. If there are no UDRs listed them don't clean UDRs or vice versa.

I get this note when running BOSS.

Note: The order of plugins set by BOSS differs from their order in its masterlist, as one or more of the installed plugins is false-flagged.

FNVEdit shows these 3 plugins flagged a esm's. Should I change the flag and re-sort or just ignore and start my play through.

[*]Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp Active

[*]Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Names, Invent}}

[*]Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp Active

[*]NVWillow.esp Version 1.05 Active

I know it is not part of F&LNV but NevadaSkies - Brighter Nights.esp has no sort rule, but it is bashed into the patch, so it ends up inactive.

No those mods are false flagged on purpose so leave them be. Put that Nevada skies plugin right behind your last Nevada skies plugin and it will be fine when you go to run a bashed patch.