Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

EssArrBee you are the man, this guide was just what I needed to get back into playing new vegas and having a plesant and stable experiance.i do have some pointers i like to point out.WMX-WRP patch relies on that you install millenias newer .357 and single-shotgun retexture seperatly since they are not in WRP.also Faction Armor Usage Enhancement needs a comparability patch to work with NCR trooper overhaul.other then that your guide is awesome I just removed project reality... i have played with it 4-5 times now and wanted to spice it up by going for a more vanilla feel and added tapioks enhanced shaders ENB and new vegas is awesome again.

Finally getting around to this issue with WRP. I see now in the readme for WMX that I need a couple extra files. Always thought the 357 looked off. Either way, should be updated soon.

A while back I was going to add a mod called portable tent or something and someone tested it with a few problems, so I think I'm going with Portable Campsite. Same author as WMX, so it's good. very easy to use once you realize that you have to move the stuff around a bit on your own and pick it up by crouching. Also, someone mentioned Glowing Ghouls, hellianos I think, a while back and I like it. At night the ghouls are lit up really nicely in the wasteland. Also, I've forgotten about Vault 22 Flora Overhaul and that is something I need to rectify.

I may have some arbitrary cap on my plugins for some reason. If I have 126+ plugins total or 106+ active I cannot start the game. I'm not sure why, but it is super F*#$^*@^$ annoying. When I figure that out, I'm sure I can get a bunch more cool mods into the mix. There has to be some small thing I keep overlooking that is messing up everything. 

I had issues with Portable Campsite too, sometimes items just fall through the world. I think its just an engine limitation.

Personally I don't like the Millenias store, though I do have to take a look at this new lite version I dislike the very idea. Its a large part of why I use The Right to Bear Arms (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46138/?). Having a store for the Gun Runners makes sense, but not to have everything ever there. Running up to a vendor is so anticlimatic. Getting the caps (or the barter skill) really isn't all that hard. I would rather go for some actual rng to find the better part of what I want. It also forces you to generalize a bit more and changes your personal story a bit rather than just "I am Joe, and I use the bestest shotgun ever!".

As for the delevel, I dunno how that would work really. I don't use requiem because too many other things I want to use conflict with it in ways that I either don't know how to fix, or just don't want to go to the trouble of doing so. Would rather piece together my own overhaul and call it good enough. I haven't used that deloot feature in PN because I have read that it causes issues with some quests. I don't know if they were vanilla or modded ones due to things not being tagged correctly. Don't know how much truth there is to it, but never wanted to risk it to find out. I tend to just ignore the economy and the like parts, and use things like hardcore mode as a rp tool not an actual game mechanic.

A while back I was going to add a mod called portable tent or something and someone tested it with a few problems, so I think I'm going with Portable Campsite. Same author as WMX, so it's good. very easy to use once you realize that you have to move the stuff around a bit on your own and pick it up by crouching. Also, someone mentioned Glowing Ghouls, hellianos I think, a while back and I like it. At night the ghouls are lit up really nicely in the wasteland. Also, I've forgotten about Vault 22 Flora Overhaul and that is something I need to rectify.

I'm pretty sure that Glowing Ghouls isn't necessary now, it got added into FCO in one of the recent updates.

• +1 1

I had issues with Portable Campsite too, sometimes items just fall through the world. I think its just an engine limitation.

Personally I don't like the Millenias store, though I do have to take a look at this new lite version I dislike the very idea. Its a large part of why I use The Right to Bear Arms (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46138/?). Having a store for the Gun Runners makes sense, but not to have everything ever there. Running up to a vendor is so anticlimatic. Getting the caps (or the barter skill) really isn't all that hard. I would rather go for some actual rng to find the better part of what I want. It also forces you to generalize a bit more and changes your personal story a bit rather than just "I am Joe, and I use the bestest shotgun ever!".

As for the delevel, I dunno how that would work really. I don't use requiem because too many other things I want to use conflict with it in ways that I either don't know how to fix, or just don't want to go to the trouble of doing so. Would rather piece together my own overhaul and call it good enough. I haven't used that deloot feature in PN because I have read that it causes issues with some quests. I don't know if they were vanilla or modded ones due to things not being tagged correctly. Don't know how much truth there is to it, but never wanted to risk it to find out. I tend to just ignore the economy and the like parts, and use things like hardcore mode as a rp tool not an actual game mechanic.

Well, I wouldn't go to the complete requiem extent to delevel stuff. I would mostly make higher level guns much more rare in the leveled lists. Like it something had a 25% chance to spawn at level 20, I would make it 10%. Some other guns would be hand placed in certain characters that didn't have special weapons already and then I'd remove the weapon leveled list from them. With Skyrim it doesn't work well because the Bashed Patch doesn't let you combine enough stuff, but for Fallout it is very far along in development.

If the campsite falls through the floor I can't help that, it is a vanilla bug. I often get Violet to fall through the ground for some reason if I don't kill hem up on the top of her campers. You can always go buy another one since 6 vendors have them and they are only ~100 caps.

I'm pretty sure that Glowing Ghouls isn't necessary now, it got added into FCO in one of the recent updates.

Oh cool. I'll double check that and make sure since I like the glowing effect of the ghouls and reavers.

I think I need to address something that has been severely lacking for a while now, the cut content. I guess I filed that away in my brain a long time ago and didn't think about it till now. There are nine of them so I'll get on that now, since I seem to have an issue with the way BSAs load or the way my game handles plugins. I think there is an artificial cap placed on my game of either 126+ plugins total or 106+ active plugins. I don't get it, but it has happened on occasion that I just can't get over that limit. Right I tried to load up Vault 22 flora overhaul, and the EXE just starts up and then ten seconds later closes itself. I remove the mod and the game fires right up. Difference between 125 total/105 active plugins and 126 total/106 active plugins. I just don't understand it.

At least with the cut content I can introduce the merged plugin or share one I make myself. I'll have to write a page that explains how to use it with ADAM, Cut content series, and maybe FCO or Tutorial Killer.

I think I need to address something that has been severely lacking for a while now, the cut content. I guess I filed that away in my brain a long time ago and didn't think about it till now. There are nine of them so I'll get on that now, since I seem to have an issue with the way BSAs load or the way my game handles plugins. I think there is an artificial cap placed on my game of either 126+ plugins total or 106+ active plugins. I don't get it, but it has happened on occasion that I just can't get over that limit. Right I tried to load up Vault 22 flora overhaul, and the EXE just starts up and then ten seconds later closes itself. I remove the mod and the game fires right up. Difference between 125 total/105 active plugins and 126 total/106 active plugins. I just don't understand it.

At least with the cut content I can introduce the merged plugin or share one I make myself. I'll have to write a page that explains how to use it with ADAM, Cut content series, and maybe FCO or Tutorial Killer.

I ran into that problem myself (you may remember as I posted in your first FNV thread) when first beginning to use your guide (and adding way to many of my own choices on top of your vetted ones).

I ran into that problem myself (you may remember as I posted in your first FNV thread) when first beginning to use your guide (and adding way to many of my own choices on top of your vetted ones).

I remember you were trying to kram every mod on the nexus into your game with the merge script and Gamebryo just laughed at you before exploding. ::P:

I'm not near the plugin limit of 140 though. I extracted the vault 22 BSA and the game loaded up fine. I'm guessing there is something going on in the way some BSAs are packed and that is my problem. MO has something setup in the way it loads BSAs and I'm not seeing what it is ATM. Either that or it is a combo of BSAs and plugin limits. I'm going to add back the Advanced Recon series and extract it's BSAs to see if they work.

"I remember you were trying to kram every mod on the nexus into your game with the merge script and Gamebryo just laughed at you before exploding."

I left one or two out, but that's beside the point. You gotta admit Drag's Fear & Loathing Jacket was pretty appropriate though.

Posted Image

IIRC the breaking point (130 - 140ish) did seem to fluctuate depending on the mods I installed. Trying to pin it to a particular number of mods might be difficult, unless there is some bad juju associated with the hexidecimal for 126 &/or 106?

Edited by redirishlord

Dracomies Improved Textures 1-4 from the mod page below improves a few items.  Only one texture clashes with another mod, but that's easy to fix with a file erase in the mod's installation directory.  Made a big difference for me right near the beginning of the game when I grabbed the shovel at one of the water pumps to use as a melee weapon as well as digging tool early on.  Made it look ok, versus the vanilla shovel.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39218/

Omolong is correct about the glowing ghouls.  I didn't realize that before, but the changelog for FCO 2.0 says "Glowing Ghouls now actually glow and Reavers have a faint glow to them." which is exactly what the other mod says it does.  I'm glad you (Omolong) pointed this out, man.  What would have been nice is if the mod page for the glowing ghouls mod got a statement about it being part of FCO.

"I remember you were trying to kram every mod on the nexus into your game with the merge script and Gamebryo just laughed at you before exploding."

I left one or two out, but that's beside the point. You gotta admit Drag's Fear & Loathing Jacket was pretty appropriate though.

Posted Image

IIRC the breaking point (130 - 140ish) did seem to fluctuate depending on the mods I installed. Trying to pin it to a particular number of mods might be difficult, unless there is some bad juju associated with the hexidecimal for 126 &/or 106?

I think it was the rest of that pack that made me leave it out. I imagine I should look through drag's stuff and add some of his compilation stuff.

Dracomies Improved Textures 1-4 from the mod page below improves a few items.  Only one texture clashes with another mod, but that's easy to fix with a file erase in the mod's installation directory.  Made a big difference for me right near the beginning of the game when I grabbed the shovel at one of the water pumps to use as a melee weapon as well as digging tool early on.  Made it look ok, versus the vanilla shovel.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39218/

Omolong is correct about the glowing ghouls.  I didn't realize that before, but the changelog for FCO 2.0 says "Glowing Ghouls now actually glow and Reavers have a faint glow to them." which is exactly what the other mod says it does.  I'm glad you (Omolong) pointed this out, man.  What would have been nice is if the mod page for the glowing ghouls mod got a statement about it being part of FCO.

I may have to look at that mod, but I don't want the character redesigns. I think Drumber did a better job that anyone else has with character redesigns. If he did a full on F3 version with unique textures for a bunch of f3 characters that would really get me to do a TTW version of F&L, since I seem to get PM's here, the nexus, and reddit about once a week to do one.

EDIT: Does anyone know where to find a gas leak really fast, to test?

Vault 22 has that entire floor that is filled with gas. As a bonus you get to test the flora overhaul too!

I also recommend Dracomies textures for random objects. I especially like his Mister Gutsy. I know its a subjective thing, but I actually think FCO looks goofy. They fall right into the uncanny valley for me so I use the people makeover too. But hey, your the author here, all I can do is leave feedback. :P I won't blame you if you like alien people!

• +1 1

I went to Vault 22 without starting the quest to just test it out and no gas down there without the quest.  :wallbash:

I do really, really like Vault 22. I'm definitely going to add that baby to the guide. Maybe tonight if time permits.

Well, if anyone wants to test something for me, try to load through MO with 31 BSAs active then go up to 32, then 33.... and see if MO fails to load. My game will not load with ~31 or 32 BSAs. Verification of that limit will help me report a real issue with MO and FNV to Tannin.

That is my limit, it's not plugins active or otherwise in my data folder as I thought originally, which is a godsend for me going forward because I can just extract a few BSAs that aren't important and keep the ones packed that need it like Willow. This also will open up the testing of Advanced Recon Series mods which I really wanted in the game, but had no clue why they didn't load. I'll be able to do it now.

Problems I will have if this is limit cannot be removed, no optimized texture BSAs like I had planned. They will have to remain loose which means saving about 2Gb of space is not going to happen. Tough titties I guess. I will have to instruct users which BSAs to extract and which to keep since some need to stay packed and I only know two of those so far.

Anyways, I'm going to add in a few more mods this week and actually finish up an initial page for vanilla optimization. I might also go over how to the major texture packs for users trying to improve performance by lowering all exteriors to 1k.

Upcoming testing: