FNV Guide - Info and Feedback

EssArrBee

I think I'll probally end up following the newest version of the guide from scratch again. Two mods I did notice from past experience expiermenting with FNV:

NSkies MCM - Althrough adbandonded, this does make Nevada Skies use the Mod Configuration Menu instead of the special configuration item that Nevada Skies normally uses. I'd like to see this mod updated for the most recent version of Nevada Skies.

Armor Replacer Child NPC Fix - For some reason, some of the children use adult outfits. Looks fine without a body replacer, but with one... it just looks really, really weird. Doesn't seem to be fixed by YUP, so I'd say it's worthy of inclusion here.

Also: this is much easier than modding Fallout 3, for sure. There's so much contradictory info relating to that now that it's getting to my head - not even a true fixpack was made for said mod.

Will, I see you found some of my typos. Maybe I shouldn't be typing up any guides at 2 am. :p

I am testing NSkies MCM right now in fact to see if it is going to work with the current version. I'll look at the other fix and see if it is needed.

If I do a fallout 3 guide it will be with TTW, but I don't have a Steam version of F3, only disc, and it is lost somewhere in my house.

I am testing NSkies MCM right now in fact to see if it is going to work with the current version. I'll look at the other fix and see if it is needed.

NSkies MCM doesn't seem like it would work with the new update, at least according to the user reports. I think Armor Replacer Child NPC Fix is still needed even with YUP - it doesn't directly conflict with that. 

If I do a fallout 3 guide it will be with TTW, but I don't have a Steam version of F3, only disc, and it is lost somewhere in my house.

Ah. Well, you should do it with a GOTY copy anyway. If it turns out you don't have all the DLCs for it, I'd just suggest getting it on Steam.

Tale of Two Wastelands looks interesting, but much like Project Brazil seems to require a separate install/playthrough. If Fallout 4 hasn't dropped by the time I've played my modded FNV, and perhaps Project Brazil to "completion" I'll consider buying FO3 GOTY from Steam ($20 usd currently, a bargain for sure) and giving TTW a go. Of course there's modded Skyrim demanding time as well; and don't get me started on Star Citizen with its dogfighting module in April, that's really gonna demand attention (and then its planetside module, and the persistent universe beta, and the single player chapters as they're completed...). I told you not to get me started (or did I do that), anyway, sorry for the off-topic.

sometimes the files get set as read only. Just go to properties on the FNV folder and then untick the read only checkbox if it is blue and then it should ask to set it for all the sub folders and files in the whole directory. Also, do it for the INIs in my documents since every time you start the launcher it tries to reset stuff.

And, apparently Windows 8.1 has some kind of problem.

rootsrat, on 14 Mar 2014 - 2:56 PM, said:rootsrat, on 14 Mar 2014 - 2:56 PM, said:

Right, looking for a solution to my problem, I came across this: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55061/

It's an updated version of FNV4GB, worth checking out

My bad rootsrat, I thought we were all using the newer version, you probably saw my pic on comments by EProctor (linking to this guide). BTW I'm a Win 8.1 kid & I have no problem using the newer 4gb loader with the NVSE beta 3 (thanks SRB!) & an ENB (Diablotherium as it has a Nevada Skies version, I would suggest that for the Guide in fact, you can always disable preset features if you have performance issues enboost is built in of course).

Edited by redirishlord

My bad rootsrat, I thought we were all using the newer version, you probably saw my pic on comments by EProctor (linking to this guide). BTW I'm a Win 8.1 kid & I have no problem using the newer 4gb loader with the NVSE beta 3 (thanks SRB!) & an ENB (Diablotherium as it has a Nevada Skies version, I would suggest that for the Guide in fact, you can always disable preset features if you have performance issues enboost is built in of course).

I'm testing tapioks new enhanced shaders right now because it has a version that works for IMODs. That is a must with the vision modes in project Nevada. Also, it has like 5 different performance versions so anybody can pick a version. I couldn't get the 4gb loader to work by putting the d3d9.dll in the exes folder. I had to switch back to the injector version and it works fine. Performance is t as good but nothing I can't live with. DoF in enhanced shaders is the best I've seen in any enb regardless of the game. So subtle you almost won't notice it is there and I think that is the point.

Feedback, continued:

• Built in INI Tweak for Darnified UI did not work for me, I've had to manually edit the INI file within the relevant MO Profiles directory. 
  • Suggested section name change: INTERFACE to USER INTERFACE
  • Centered 3rd Person Camera - suggest to mark as Optional, as this is not 100% required and is subject to personal preference. I for one, like the over the shoulder camera, it gives the game a movie feel I think, and it's quite cool.
  • FNV Classic Worldmap - this mod has special installation instructions, see mod page.
  • The Weapon Mod Menu - no need for extracting the FOMOD. MO 1.1.2 handles this automatically with a bit of play. When you install it, at the end if installation it will tell you that the mod of this name is already installed (standard MO dialogue box). If you select Merge, it will install the mod correctly.
  • Now, Poco Bueno is also a FOMOD file, but MO would not install this one correctly and I had to unpack it... Strange!
  • NMC Texture Pack - how about different display ratio optional fixes? Do we need them?
  • Weather and Lighting - no Darker Nights optional from Nevada Skies? 
  • Nevada Skies BUM instructions: reads: "Select the "NevadaSkies[space]- Ultimate DLC Edition.esm" to be ordered in the lower-left pane." - should read "NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp"
  • Electro City - I have always removed Highways ESP file - didn't like the idea of relighting along the roads, just doesn't fit the game well I think. 
  • ILO - No Nevada Skies Patches?
  • ILO - Make a note that there are optional patches for the following: Rust Town, A World of Pain, Seachlight Airport NCR and Fee510's Poratble Tent - and user needs to install them too if using any of those mods
  • ILO - PipBoy Light Colours archive also contains FOMOD, but this one also works fine with MO by just installing it normally, and selecting MERGE in the dialogue box
  • Just for consistency and readability, I would order mods alphabetically, where there are no conflicts. And so, the whole Weather And Lighting section can be ordered that way (EC, ILO, NS)
  • Plants and Stuff, suggest name change to Miscellaneous  :;):

That's it for today, unless I come back to this later on :)

::EDIT::

• Interior Lighting Overhaul - BUM sorting instructions are incorrect. Personally, I sorted it as follows:

Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm   >> AFTER: Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Pip-Boy Light - Vanilla.esp   >> BOTTOM: WeatherLightWater

EssArrBee, on 14 Mar 2014 - 4:31 PM, said:EssArrBee, on 14 Mar 2014 - 4:31 PM, said:

I'm testing tapioks new enhanced shaders right now because it has a version that works for IMODs. That is a must with the vision modes in project Nevada.

Also, it has like 5 different performance versions so anybody can pick a version.

>> Thanks for the tip, last time I looked at this ENB it was using an old binary. I'll try it out, what you said about the DoF sounds very interesting.

I couldn't get the 4gb loader to work by putting the d3d9.dll in the exes folder. I had to switch back to the injector version and it works fine. Performance is t as good but nothing I can't live with. DoF in enhanced shaders is the best I've seen in any enb regardless of the game. So subtle you almost won't notice it is there and I think that is the point.

>> We might have different hardware (I'm an Nvidia GTX 670 kid), I seem to be able to use the wrapper version but your mileage may vary.

Edited by redirishlord

Feedback, continued:

• Built in INI Tweak for Darnified UI did not work for me, I've had to manually edit the INI file within the relevant MO Profiles directory.
    • MO 1.1.2 may have changed INI handling, I'll look into it, but for right now I'm going to recommend v1.1.1.
  • Suggested section name change: INTERFACE to USER INTERFACE
    • Eventually I'm going to try and come up with names for every section that match the whole fear and loathing theme.
  • Centered 3rd Person Camera - suggest to mark as Optional, as this is not 100% required and is subject to personal preference. I for one, like the over the shoulder camera, it gives the game a movie feel I think, and it's quite cool.
    • I might be switching to Dynami Camera soon, which changes the over the shoulder position based on weapon and it can be changed to suit personal preference in MCM
  • FNV Classic Worldmap - this mod has special installation instructions, see mod page.
    • Thanks, some of the mods I've had installed for so long that I forget which need special directions.
  • The Weapon Mod Menu - no need for extracting the FOMOD. MO 1.1.2 handles this automatically with a bit of play. When you install it, at the end if installation it will tell you that the mod of this name is already installed (standard MO dialogue box). If you select Merge, it will install the mod correctly.
    • I could get it work both way, but also get it to fail without extracting. I know extracting the FOMOD is full proof.
  • Now, Poco Bueno is also a FOMOD file, but MO would not install this one correctly and I had to unpack it... Strange!
    • I'll look into it, didn't have problems with that mod myself.
  • NMC Texture Pack - how about different display ratio optional fixes? Do we need them?
    • Never had issues with it since he updated to the latest version.
  • Weather and Lighting - no Darker Nights optional from Nevada Skies?
    • No way, the ones included are plenty dark, maybe even to dark, even with the added lights from Electro City. I say something about it in the mod's description.
  • Nevada Skies BUM instructions: reads: "Select the "NevadaSkies[space]- Ultimate DLC Edition.esm" to be ordered in the lower-left pane." - should read "NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp"
    • TY
  • Electro City - I have always removed Highways ESP file - didn't like the idea of relighting along the roads, just doesn't fit the game well I think.
    • The author didn't go overboard with the lights and with the darker nights, they are really nice to have along roads, an ENB makes them even better.
  • ILO - No Nevada Skies Patches?
    • The directions I listed should get you the Nevada skies patch if you don't click anything different then what I listed.
  • ILO - Make a note that there are optional patches for the following: Rust Town, A World of Pain, Seachlight Airport NCR and Fee510's Poratble Tent - and user needs to install them too if using any of those mods
    • I would have done that, but a few of those mods are unsupported or just unstable with a large setup. Maybe the new memory patch helps, but I haven't gotten to testing  that part yet.
  • ILO - PipBoy Light Colours archive also contains FOMOD, but this one also works fine with MO by just installing it normally, and selecting MERGE in the dialogue box
  • Just for consistency and readability, I would order mods alphabetically, where there are no conflicts. And so, the whole Weather And Lighting section can be ordered that way (EC, ILO, NS)
    • There was probably a reason I ordered it that way, but since I do a lot of this stuff late at night, those reasons probably make zero sense by morning. :p
  • Plants and Stuff, suggest name change to Miscellaneous  :;):
    • Yeah, just haven't come up with a good enough name yet. It isn't Misc, since that section should have Vurts in it.

That's it for today, unless I come back to this later on :)

::EDIT::

• Interior Lighting Overhaul - BUM sorting instructions are incorrect. Personally, I sorted it as follows:

Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm   >> AFTER: Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Pip-Boy Light - Vanilla.esp   >> BOTTOM: WeatherLightWater

My Fault on that one, I didn't change the plugins after copy-pasting from somewhere else.

Thanks for the feedback.

Continued:

• WFO - no LOD file?
  • Robert's Male Body - No DLC Patches?
  • Feral Ghoul Retexure - good find!
  • ADAM - there is no file in that link apparently...
  • WRP - No mention to install Christine's Rifle
  • WMX - What is WMX-POPMerged.esp? 
  • WMX - you tell to install DLC-Merged version (as per BUM) instructions, however Half Hansified Holorifle requires WMX-HonestHearts.esp as Master, and also in Merged case, EVE-allDLCMerged.esp is not on BOSS Masterlist and requires BUM instructions
  • Again, where possible I'd sort alphabetically :)

For WMX - WMX-POPMerged.esp must be the merged ESP for the pre-order packs (or Courier's Stash) - POP must mean "Pre Order Pack". And as for Half-Hansified Holorifle, I PM'd the author of that to see if he's willing to do it (with an ETA if possible), otherwise, I should be able to knock out the merged WMX ESP for it.