FNV Guide - Info and Feedback

EssArrBee

Fallout New Vegas Guide Fear & Loathing in New Vegas

• By EssArrBee with feedback from many others

I've been putting some time into making a NV guide lately, since it is one of my all time favorite game. With some STEP members returning from hiatus, like Tech and phazer, I can actually divert time to a proper guide.

This guide is going to be more like SR and have an overhaul, quests, companions, armor, weapons... you get it. I started it to have of a STEP mandate feel, but the game is just to old for that. That version of the guide is still around though, get it here. Shout out to Neovalen for letting me steal his guide's style. :p

A couple things I would like to happen:

• A good name. I'd like it to match the Fallout Universe style. (Vault-Tec Guide to the Mojave.... something like that but not lame)
    • Fear & Loathing in New Vegas (or some other brilliant phrase from that movie)
    • Pretty set on Fear & Loathing, just seems right. Plus, I can fill the guide with quotes from the book and movie.
  • Remove the dependence on NMM for installing Unified HUD. Hopefully this is something that can be solved by the external installer in a future version of MO. Tannin is the man!
    • Now using a mix of FOMM - Fork and MO.
      • ​Be careful if using the MO/FOMM method on your own, it has issues that you should know about and I have not the time to go into all of them, but I posted about it on page 19 of this thread.
  • More mods: Quests will probably be first, then some more armor and weapons, maybe Imps Needs, and a couple good companions.
    • Going with Project Nevada for overhaul of gameplay.
    • Weapons of the New Millenia for guns ATM.
    • More Perks is now included to add to gameplay.
    • Nevada Skies is in. The menu started playing nice with me.
    • Electro City is in.
    • Interior Lighting Overhaul is in.
    • WMX is going in ATM, but have not tested WME. That will come one day, but I'm happy with WMX and am moving on to other things.
    • EVE is in now, does not need patching with Improved Sound FX, the patch is already included. All other patches are updated, see the changlog.
    • I am starting with conflict resolution now. Kind of PITA to do when Bashed Patch can merge stuff around any patching you do on your own. Can be tedious and slow. Will start with Weapons and Armor to just get something patched as I move forward.
    • Companion Sandbox Mode is good. Will add it very soon when I pick a couple companions.
    • Uncut Content will be after that. I'll probably add all of those at once.
  • FNVEdit sections for people to solve conflicts, this requires so much time to go through the whole list, so I'm going to get the mod list a little more developed before jumping into this section.
  • Intro and post install sections need to be more indepth. I'll start working on those parts soon.
  • Texture Optimization Section: I did this once to the vanilla textures and I can't find the notes I took on what files should be left out. I'll redo it eventually, and ask some of the STEP wizards for help.

Please, make suggestions, give feedback, or anything else you can think of on this thread. Also, if this guide destroys your game, melts your computer, and kills your dog feel free to make death threats. I used to work for the American Gov't so I'm used to it.

Testing that needs to be done:

• Companion Sandbox Mode vs. Improved Companion SandBox
    • ​Need to determine if Improved Companion Sandbox is any good. I've never used it and have used Companion Sandbox Mode. Would like to know the differences between the two.
  • CAGE - Continue After Game Ending
    • Need to know if it works, I'm guessing it does.
    • Any incompatibilities.
    • Has anyone used it that can attest to it being any good?
  • ​Precision Collsion - Clutter NV​
    • ​Need to know which meshes are not good with this mod. There are lots of meshes, but some are broken.
      • ​Know for sure that the pool table triangle is broken.
      • 10MM SMG iron sights might be broke.
      • Wattz Laser Rifle iron sights is broke.
    • ​Love the idea of this mod, but it needs testing and probably an update.
  • ​A good weapon holster mod. I get tired of the guns not having proper weapon holsters and just floating there.

Look em over and give me some feedback. I suggest opening the photos in new tabs.

EWI's Rocks->NMC or whatever is in the guide now->Textures Over Time

Mojave rock

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Limecliffs (you know where all the deathclaws live)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Red Rock Canyon

Big MT (from Old World Blues, I gotta play that again)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Zion (from Honest Hearts, second pic is not NMC, just vanilla I guess)

Not doing lonsome road since it has a weather effect, so it doesn't matter that much.

I've used DDSopt on many of the textures in FNV, especially textures for exterior spaces, and I haven't seen any obvious problems.

You might want to note somewhere in the guide the problem in FNV with the number of plugins that can be supported. It varies with the particular plugins being used, but the limit is much lower than the 255 plugins allowed in other Bethesda games (typically around 160 or so) because of the FNV software infrastructure.

• +1 1

"The STEPpers Wasteland Survival Guide" (consider this an ante, who's got next?)

I can't recommend an up to date ENB preset enough, both for graphics and more importantly memory management. I find E ENB to be superior in this regard, its uses the 0.249 binary and its author ewi65 is actively updating.

Regarding the number of plugins, I have 132 after "Flashing" a patch and any more puts me up against the FNV software infrastructure "wall". Is that driven by number of plugins, or memory required to load, or some combination? I am a compulsive modder, and this limit is forcing me to make significant decisions (significant to me anyway) on which mods to install & which to cut. A better understanding would be most appreciated. As I am just returning to play (no investment in current character, yet) I am available for testing/troubleshooting if that would help.

I've used DDSopt on many of the textures in FNV, especially textures for exterior spaces, and I haven't seen any obvious problems.

You might want to note somewhere in the guide the problem in FNV with the number of plugins that can be supported. It varies with the particular plugins being used, but the limit is much lower than the 255 plugins allowed in other Bethesda games (typically around 160 or so) because of the FNV software infrastructure.

When I did it before there was only a few textures that I noticed had issue, they were monchromatic. The black textures that are used for cave entrances and under the grates on the strip. I like that DDSopt and BSAopt work with the FNV BSAs so I can just repack them and then install the replacers without wasting space.

I forget which DLC it was, but I think the limit is 140 before you start seeing textures and meshes go bonkers. Right now my guide only has 44 plugins if you use a Bashed Patch, so I'll address that when I start adding more mods, it will probably matter more when I move toward WME or WMX, EVE, and armor/weapon mods.

"The STEPpers Wasteland Survival Guide" (consider this an ante, who's got next?)

I can't recommend an up to date ENB preset enough, both for graphics and more importantly memory management. I find E ENB to be superior in this regard, its uses the 0.249 binary and its author ewi65 is actively updating.

Regarding the number of plugins, I have 132 after "Flashing" a patch and any more puts me up against the FNV software infrastructure "wall". Is that driven by number of plugins, or memory required to load, or some combination? I am a compulsive modder, and this limit is forcing me to make significant decisions (significant to me anyway) on which mods to install & which to cut. A better understanding would be most appreciated. As I am just returning to play (no investment in current character, yet) I am available for testing/troubleshooting if that would help.

I will eventually make some merged patches to reduce number of plugins much like I do with the STEP Patches.

"Operation: NVEP"

New Vegas Enhancement Project - NVEP or I go silly and do "Mission: Immodable"

EDIT: 44 plugins is wrong, I meant 68 but didn't convert from hex.

Regarding the "140 plugin limit", I get Infinite Loading Screen before the main menu (no cursor or list of options including new/load/etc) should appear. Trimming my list solves the issue, which meant cutting WMX and its various patches (I retained EVE, WME).

Making merged patches available sounds exciting, thanks in advance. I looked over the STEP advanced guides on TES5Edit and making merged patches, I found it a bit intimidating as I'm not so programming/modding savvy (I'm really just an end-user). 

Edited by redirishlord

I intend to merge the ADAM plugins, 7 total, into one or two plugins. Also, I will probably pick only WMX or WME but not both, that would be overkill and I'll figure out a way to make those into a couple patches instead of having bunches of them. EVE has the same issue as well, with all the patches it requires when you're mod list expands. Gamebryo is fickle mistress.

All that work to sort those out and I haven't even begun to consider weather/lighting solutions.  :confused:

Re- ADAM: outstanding!

Re- WME/WMX: I've got wme installed, but don't fully understand the differences, except I assume greater compatibility with EVE via WMEVE.

Re- Weather/Lighting: I went with Nevada Skies & Interior Lighting Overhaul.

Any thoughts on Project Nevada? I don't use its Rebalance, but I love the Cyberware and the Core additions like grenade hotkey, dynamic crosshair, etc.

There's also a set of cut content mods; Rotface to riches, Koch & Bohr story, A Van Graff scorned, A throny Situation, A wilder wasteland, If it wasn't for Betsy, Pacer's gambit, Outside bets. Any thoughts on those?

Finally if there is anything I can help with (limited skill set, may need instructions), let me know. As it may be a while before we get a FO4, I'm interested in helping to make FNV better.

Re- ADAM: outstanding!

Re- WME/WMX: I've got wme installed, but don't fully understand the differences, except I assume greater compatibility with EVE via WMEVE.

I've never really checked out the difference but I'm guessing they both overhaul the weapon mods and add a bunch of new ones.

Re- Weather/Lighting: I went with Nevada Skies & Interior Lighting Overhaul.

Nevada Skies actually reminds me of living in the desert. Bright blue sky with the sun beating down on you.

Any thoughts on Project Nevada? I don't use its Rebalance, but I love the Cyberware and the Core additions like grenade hotkey, dynamic crosshair, etc.

I use rebalance for the hardcore mode options unless I have Imps More Complex Needs installed. You can change the hardcore needs stuff to fit how much you want food water sleep to affect the gameplay. There are some other options too. Currently there is a problem with PH - Extra Options, so get the MCM fix or the the menus for PN may disappear.

There's also a set of cut content mods; Rotface to riches, Koch & Bohr story, A Van Graff scorned, A throny Situation, A wilder wasteland, If it wasn't for Betsy, Pacer's gambit, Outside bets. Any thoughts on those?

These are on my short list. I'll probably add them all except that one that combines the Strip into one worldspace, it just isn't optimized enough. We'll see.

Finally if there is anything I can help with (limited skill set, may need instructions), let me know. As it may be a while before we get a FO4, I'm interested in helping to make FNV better.

If you want to help, I would like a new rock/mountain texture. I think NMC's rocks are okay, but there has to be something better out there. 

Are you using the Trooper Overhaul and the Distributed plugin that goes with it? If so have you seen any invisible or naked troopers? Which version of WFO are using? Have you noticed any weird plant vegetation issue with WFO install? Something like collisions not working on tumbleweeds. Are you keyboard/mouse only or do you ever use a gamepad? If so, how do you set up for the gamepad with all the PN stuff? Have you run into any memory issues like black textures or textures that are not in the right place?

Any armor/weapon recommendations, what are your favorite quest mods, any gameplay tweaks you like, and are there any sound mods that your like? 

I'll check out Trooper Overhaul and report back.

I use the esp-less WFO you recommended, I'll keep my eyes peeled for weirdness.

I use a Razer Nostromo gamepad with a Logitech trackball mouse, but functionality is essentially mouse & keyboard (Razer = 16 primary keys + thumbstick for movement & scroll wheel for additional keybind maps).

Memory seems fine, I get enboost feature from E ENB. I do have the ILS at start, but I think we have determined that is due to the 140 plugin ceiling.

Instead of CaliberX I am using Modfusion to install/manage Craft Pack, CASE, Improved LODs.

I have high hopes for Mike Hancho's Afterschool Special & New Bison Steve Hotel, also New Vegas Interiors. I also look forward to the cut content from your short list.

Edited by redirishlord

Looks like excellent work so far! I haven't played New Vegas much before despite owning the game for ages. Installed some mods after browsing the Nexus, but mostly did that 'freestyle' and without much considerations for what more subtle conflicts there might be.

For companions, incidentally, since you are looking to include those in the future, the most recommended appear to be:Sunny Smiles CompanionBetter Cass/Veronica (visual overhaul only, I believe)NinerWillow

Will you also be looking into Perk mods, such as More Perks?

Edited by VonDoom
  • +1 1

Looks like excellent work so far! I haven't played New Vegas much before despite owning the game for ages. Installed some mods after browsing the Nexus, but mostly did that 'freestyle' and without much considerations for what more subtle conflicts there might be.

For companions, incidentally, since you are looking to include those in the future, the most recommended appear to be:Sunny Smiles CompanionBetter Cass/Veronica (visual overhaul only, I believe)NinerWillow

Will you also be looking into Perk mods, such as More Perks?

Thanks for the kind words!

I am adding More Perks, doing that today in fact. Has a weird-ish install though since the merged plugin resides on the NVEC page and some folders need renaming.

Have all those companions on my short list, also looking at Russel since someguy really knows how to make some good mods. Lings Coiffure and Pretty Little things just got reloaded to the Nexus so I'm going to check that out since it overhauls followers looks, but Fallout Character Overhaul might be what I go with since it doesn't add in a bunch of anime hairs. 

WMXUE merges all the WMX plugins across DLCs into a single plugin; until a month or so ago that was the best way get WMX with all the DLC.  The newer separate WMX DLC plugin is, of course, not fully interchangeable with WMXUE since WMXUE has different FormIDs for DLC weapons. I'll need to do some work with FNVEdit and my game save to move to the new WMX DLC plugin.

(Edited)

I had quite a bit of difficulty getting NVSE, 4gb Patch & ENB launching correctly. Placing NVSE 4.2beta2 loader & dlls as well as FNV4gb & its dll into my Fallout NV directory then moving the d3d9.dll from enb wrapper to Fallout NVexes folder; then sending FNV4gb to the desktop as a shortcut worked after appending the command line with " -SteamAppID 22380" for my Ultimate Edition purchased through Steam.

I had to wade through several forum posts to hit on the correct combination, might be helpful to add instructions to the guide to make it easier for others.

I'm attempting to find a simple solution to the DUI/PN/oHUD/uHUD installation using Wrye BAIN (as I don't care to use MO), but the uHUD installer is still confounding me (separating the DUI optional menus from PN and adding them as a separate BAIN package after the other items was straight forward enough).

You are never going to install uHUD with Wrye bash unless you write the installer yourself. The only way to install uHUD is fomm or NMM. It isn't mod, it is a utility that combines the XML data from your other mods. Since the game can only read one file.

Edit: try the injector version of enb.