FNV Guide - Info and Feedback

EssArrBee

I'm a fan of the Advanced Recon Gear myself, although I don't use the trap detection equipment/perk.

Y'all might check out Mike Hancho's Afterschool Special (quest + home) and Bison Steve Hotel mods, featuring Sortomatic. I would post links, but I can't copy/paste or create links in this forum :-(  not sure why.

I'm also, looking at antistar's (WMX author) Dragonskin Tactical gear, Flashlight NVSE, Precision Clutter, Continue After Game Ending (CAGE), and Portable Campsite for the hardcore guys.

I've got my hands full ATM with a bunch of good mods. I'm really going to work hard at keeping the plugin number to under 100. I know that just isn't possible, but if I keep that number as my goal, then I figure I won't ever hit the 140 limit. Should have EVE on the guide tonight and the beginning of the patch info, just weapon stuff that Bashed Patch won't cover.

So, I set my enblocal to force borderless fullscreen and when I encountered the freeze issue during character creation I was able to receive a "missing master" pop up. I'm not seeing a missing master indicator in Wrye, is there another route I could go to easily check that (maybe using TESedit? I'm not real familiar with that except to clean Beth DLC files)?

So, I set my enblocal to force borderless fullscreen and when I encountered the freeze issue during character creation I was able to receive a "missing master" pop up. I'm not seeing a missing master indicator in Wrye, is there another route I could go to easily check that (maybe using TESedit? I'm not real familiar with that except to clean Beth DLC files)?

Yeah just load all your mods in Fnvedit and if it doesn't finish loading then you'll know if you are missing a master. It should also list what is missing as well.

Right, FNVedit. Thanks in advance, saves me some hair pulling (I really can't afford to lose any at this point).

Yup, that did it. I had several patches before their master plugins, once they were sorted, I'm back in business. Now to test some of these in game & turn the Goodsprings schoolhouse into a home.

Edited by redirishlord

Wow! Why have I only discovered this project now? That's what happens when you let your eyes off these forums for a couple of weeks and focus on other games/forms of entertainment.

Since I was planning to re-do my FNV mod set up, I may as well use the guide. SRB, I'm more than happy to help with anything that's needed. Let me know what needs doing! 

I think I'll be able to sort the installation of the game and tools tonight and I will start going through the guide either this weekend or next week. I'll provide feedback, but as I said - if there's anything else that needs picking up let me know.

Wow! Why have I only discovered this project now? That's what happens when you let your eyes off these forums for a couple of weeks and focus on other games/forms of entertainment.Since I was planning to re-do my FNV mod set up, I may as well use the guide. SRB, I'm more than happy to help with anything that's needed. Let me know what needs doing! I think I'll be able to sort the installation of the game and tools tonight and I will start going through the guide either this weekend or next week. I'll provide feedback, but as I said - if there's anything else that needs picking up let me know.

I need any suggestions for mods you might have. Any thing about the guide for general stuff like order of mods. I need pretty much anything and companions and quests would be next.I'm starting on conflict resolution at the moment so that is in the works. A little optimization section is also on the docket.

Now that I can drop links, here's a few for Companions & Quests;

Companions

A better Boone https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43423

A better Cass  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41687

A better Veronica  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41617

>> These are improvements to the vanilla companions, so what's not to like?

Wendy Gilbert  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43247

>> "This mod adds a companion with many abilities and features, plus a modest player home". Interesting features in this, looking forward to checking it out.

Willow  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41779

>> "600 lines of voiced dialogue, written and acted specifically for the mod", I really enjoy the immersion of voiced dialog followers. The mod also has five quests related to the companion.

Improved Companion Sandbox https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44803

Quests

Afterschool Special  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43757

>> "Afterschool Special is a fully voiced quest mod based on my original Schoolhouse Base", it allows you to rebuild the Goodsprings Schoolhouse into a player home with Sortomatic features.

The New Bison Steve Hotel  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40433

>> "Ever thought that it would be a cool location to rebuild?" I most definitely do think it would be.

Tales from the Burning Sands  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37172

>> "Tales from the Burning Sands is a lore-friendly, serialized adventure mod". Also allows you to earn a player home with Sortomatic features.

Beyond Boulder Dome  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46907

>> This looks big, maybe DLC big?

Nevada Interiors Project  https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43534

>> "Have you ever ben exploring the Mojave Waste, thinking to yourself There's just nothing out here to investigate?" I have. This looks extensive and has compatibility patch for NMC textures.

Searchlight Airport ... Nexus temp down so I'll edit this one in later

I'll leave off the various cut content mods we discussed previously (unless you'd like me to link them here) and Someguy's New Vegas Bounties, etc. (I was disappointed these were unfinished, but grateful for all that he did).

I haven't completed Afterschool Special yet, but I really like having to earn a home in Goodsprings. I'm crashing in Victos house for now, but his housekeeping leaves something to be desired. Additionally the placement of the two non-vanilla followers I listed above has me completely Primm and Boulder City before meeting them, so I thnk that fits with the spirit of the original game.

Edited by redirishlord

Ok, some initial feedback from me:

• Cool name! (Love that film, and Hunter S. Thompson is an amazing character)
  • Would it be beneficial to zip all the vanilla BSAs and add them to MO as a separate mod to unpack them all and use as loose files?
  • Add New Vegas Configurator  to the list of Utilities. It's a really good tool and it works perfectly fine. Can be used with MO just fine too.
  • Add a note to FNV 4GB that the game should be run using it's exe file, and that it will also run NVSE.
  • Add instructions to clean the relevant vanilla ESMs (DeadMoney.esm, HonestHearts.esm, OldWorldBlues.esm, LonesomeRoad.esm, GunRunnersArsenal.esm)
  • Unified HUD NMM section - installation instructions: bullet 1 tells you to run NMM, bullet 2 then tells you that you need the below mods in NMM mods folder before you run it. They should be switched.
  • Project Nevada - Perhaps mention to install all 4 modules?
  • Project Nevada - manual installation instruction mentions: "extract the Menus folder to the "Skyrim/Data" folder." This obviously should mention FNV not Skyrim
  • Project Nevada Extra Options - again, perhaps mention which modules to install. 
  • MCM menu - why the *wink wink*? (Sorry, I'm probably just being daft :D
  • MCM Menu - Don't we need to install Bug Fix for it also?
  • NMM Import secion - bullet 2: "Check that all five mods from the prior section are listed and click Next." - should say "all six mods" (or seven when using MCM Bugfix)
  • NMM Import secion - bullet 3: "then No to copy over the archives. " - this indicates that selecting "No" will actually copy the archives. It should say: 'then select "No" on "Import Downloads" dialogue box.'
  • At this point I have the following in the MO:

Posted Image

This is due to the fact, that both MCM and OneHUD archives contain .fomod files, rather than unpacked archives. When you install them in NMM directly fro the archives, the .fomod files get unpacked into the Data folder, and the mods are in fact not installed.

Therefore what you need to do is unpack both archives manually to NMM Mods folder first, so that there are 2 .fomod files instead of the archives in NMM Mods folder. Then you can follow your NMM installation and then NMM import instructions and everything is installed OK. 

All the above is under the assumption that you are downloading files manually from Nexus to install them in NMM - and if you followed the guide, it told you previously to set MO to handle NMM links. Inexperienced user wouldn't know how to temporarily set the links to be handled by NMM - for the above process only.

Ok, so that's it for today. 

I have unfortunately ran into an issue that I've had before, but for the love of me I cannot remember how I have fixed it! Anytime I try to run FNV from MO, either by FNV4GB or NVSE or even vanilla Launcher. When I run any of those executables from MO (all are set to Run as Admin), the Launcher is displayed, BUT the mods installed in MO are not shown at all. So it is as if the executable file runs the launcher from Steam (i.e. directly from FNV directory, rather than trough MO).

Can anyone help with this? :/

I will carry on going through the from the Fixes section either during the weekend (most likely) or early next week, but I need the above issue resolved before I can continue, otherwise I won't be able to play :(

Ok, some initial feedback from me:

• Cool name! (Love that film, and Hunter S. Thompson is an amazing character)
  • Would it be beneficial to zip all the vanilla BSAs and add them to MO as a separate mod to unpack them all and use as loose files?
  • Add New Vegas Configurator  to the list of Utilities. It's a really good tool and it works perfectly fine. Can be used with MO just fine too.
    • Will look into using it when I get the settings locked down.
  • Add a note to FNV 4GB that the game should be run using it's exe file, and that it will also run NVSE.
    • Good idea.
  • Add instructions to clean the relevant vanilla ESMs (DeadMoney.esm, HonestHearts.esm, OldWorldBlues.esm, LonesomeRoad.esm, GunRunnersArsenal.esm)
    • All the cleaning and patching stuff is coming next now that I've got a decent mod list going.
  • Unified HUD NMM section - installation instructions: bullet 1 tells you to run NMM, bullet 2 then tells you that you need the below mods in NMM mods folder before you run it. They should be switched.
    • ​Good point.
  • Project Nevada - Perhaps mention to install all 4 modules?
  • Project Nevada - manual installation instruction mentions: "extract the Menus folder to the "Skyrim/Data" folder." This obviously should mention FNV not Skyrim
    • ​Herp derp.
  • Project Nevada Extra Options - again, perhaps mention which modules to install. 
  • MCM menu - why the *wink wink*? (Sorry, I'm probably just being daft :D
    • No I had that in there before I added PN and forgot to delete it.
  • MCM Menu - Don't we need to install Bug Fix for it also?
    • Yeah it is just an esp replacer so it can be installed later. I'll make note of it, I just keep forgetting.
  • NMM Import secion - bullet 2: "Check that all five mods from the prior section are listed and click Next." - should say "all six mods" (or seven when using MCM Bugfix)
  • NMM Import secion - bullet 3: "then No to copy over the archives. " - this indicates that selecting "No" will actually copy the archives. It should say: 'then select "No" on "Import Downloads" dialogue box.'
    • Will look into it. The NMM import section should probably be a clear as possible.
  • At this point I have the following in the MO:

Posted Image

This is due to the fact, that both MCM and OneHUD archives contain .fomod files, rather than unpacked archives. When you install them in NMM directly fro the archives, the .fomod files get unpacked into the Data folder, and the mods are in fact not installed.

Therefore what you need to do is unpack both archives manually to NMM Mods folder first, so that there are 2 .fomod files instead of the archives in NMM Mods folder. Then you can follow your NMM installation and then NMM import instructions and everything is installed OK. 

All the above is under the assumption that you are downloading files manually from Nexus to install them in NMM - and if you followed the guide, it told you previously to set MO to handle NMM links. Inexperienced user wouldn't know how to temporarily set the links to be handled by NMM - for the above process only.

I'll mention to extract the fomods first, then install, then iimport. I noticed you are using MO v1.1.2, but the external installer is messed up, so either rollback to v1.1.1 or get the old NCC.

Ok, so that's it for today. 

I have unfortunately ran into an issue that I've had before, but for the love of me I cannot remember how I have fixed it! Anytime I try to run FNV from MO, either by FNV4GB or NVSE or even vanilla Launcher. When I run any of those executables from MO (all are set to Run as Admin), the Launcher is displayed, BUT the mods installed in MO are not shown at all. So it is as if the executable file runs the launcher from Steam (i.e. directly from FNV directory, rather than trough MO).

Can anyone help with this? :/

I will carry on going through the from the Fixes section either during the weekend (most likely) or early next week, but I need the above issue resolved before I can continue, otherwise I won't be able to play :(

Good stuff roots. I'll look over everything you posted to make the guide more clear.

Thanks for that.

I never have had that problem unless the game directory is in program files.

All my programs are installed on a separate drive to the system one. The dir is actually called Program Files (x86), but I created it manually. FNV is the only game that gave me that problem before... I wish I remembered how I've fixed it dammit!

/snip

I'll mention to extract the fomods first, then install, then iimport. I noticed you are using MO v1.1.2, but the external installer is messed up, so either rollback to v1.1.1 or get the old NCC.

/snip

I downgraded my NCC to 1.1.1 during 1.1.2 installation, so no worries :)

There are two mods that do companion sandboxes. Companion Sandbox Mode and Improved Companion SandBox both look good and I'm wondering if anyone has used the second one. I have used Companion Sandbox Mode for a while and if anyone has input about the other then I'd like to here it.

I have used the second one. It never gave me any problems. I haven't used the first one though, so can't compare really...