Farmhouse Chimneys (by Scarla)

Noobsayer

Update is up for the clay stacks. Just quickly done and uploaded as I did not have Skyrim installed on the PC I was on. The images in the user section are not the final ones, (edit: they are updated now) because they had a few last minute edits in terms of colour saturation and mesh tweaks, but you can kind of get the gist. Link again if you to save you all that scrolling:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66296/?

Are any staff here interested in looking into this for inclusion as most of you seemed to enjoy the new version from the comparison? Just wondering.

Edited by Guest

Bu... but Ess compared them already. I am definitely not imagining that (at least not like most things). That is the only reason I am asking. Anywho I am not concerned or anything as I am already glad to be providing an optional file for everyone. I just thought that previous post WAS the compare.

I was just doing some googling to see how "historically" accurate SparrowPrince's clay stacks are (which look gorgeous by the way!) when I stumbled across this link:

https://www.ultimatehistoryproject.com/chimneys.html

It doesn't answer my question but I thought people here would appreciate it as it offers an interesting look into the (European/American) history of chimneys. An excerpt:

"Even once in wide use, chimneys remained notoriously inefficient and often dangerous.  Cheaper chimneys constructed of waddle and daub, a woven wooden structure covered by mud, clay, straw and dung remained susceptible to fire.  In the early seventeenth century English courts began demanding “dangerous†chimneys be reconstructed of brick and mortar and requiring that the top of the chimney be at least four and a half feet above the roof of the house. By 1719 all clay built chimneys in England were ordered rebuilt of brick.  In America chimneys continued to be constructed of wood lined with clay.  As late as 1789 President Washington considered brick chimneys worthy of note during his tour of the east coast.  Most cities appointed fire wardens to regularly inspect chimneys.  Fires caused by poorly clayed chimneys remained all too common."

Edited by Tigrael
  • +1 1

Bingo!

https://www.chimneypot.com/pages/history.html

"Chimney pots have been documented as early as the 13th Century, although the United States, like much of Europe, largely discovered chimney pots in the mid 1800s. Because of their ability to increase draft up a chimney, they were invaluable in small and large houses alike, as well as in other buildings where fireplaces served as the primary source of heat. Since coal was the fuel of choice, it was of the utmost importance that noxious fumes and and soot be vented up the chimney and out of the house."

So I would vote that SparrowPrince's chimney pots are both attractive and "historically" accurate.

• +1 1

I was going to take a photo of an actual Victorian clay pot for the texture, but I forgot I gave it to family last year as it makes a nice planter. I had to use bricks instead, which surprisingly worked well. At least I still have my sun dial from 1803!

Good to hear Tigrael. I suppose you could just possibly say anything could happen in this fantasy game like most people do. You can't really argue with that, which is probably why it is said a lot. That is what all discussion boils down to though (real world vs fantasy) but I suppse clay would have been an easy to aquire resource in Skyrim.

Fair enough too Tech. I thought you guys were testing lots of stuff currently which is why I asked. I just thought this would be really simple to look into as it already got put into testing. I suppose now I have released the clay version it does make it a bit harder. 

Edited by Guest

The one thing I never thought fit (and this includes the other newer chimney stacks in Scarla's mod also) were the top slabs at the tip of the chimney.  They look too refined.  I think they should be made up of either coarser materials, smaller pieces stuck together, or both.  I think it might look better.  Also, if the clay pieces looked a little more worn in some way it might be better too - maybe some blackening around the top around where the smoke exits.  They'd have to be pretty dirty with all that smoke...

EDIT: Actually, it's not bad the way it is though.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

• 4 weeks later...

I live in a 400 year old cottage, I have looked and the chimney stacks are very tall. Mine appear even taller as the original thatch was replaced in the 18 century with tiles. I would vote if it is still open for discussion that we go for the taller stacks with Sparrowprince's improved meshes and fixes.

Just a pedantic point twin clay pots look wrong on a single story dwelling.

Edited by paradoxbound

I just tried out the latest version with SP's additional stacks and I like em. Didn't try out those clay ones though, and I probably won't either. The best part is that you can create the lod mesh and DDL will generate the stacks for you. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...