A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

To add to Gandaganza, although there are many great lighting / weather mods out there, if you learn something about patching in TES5Edit, you can really make your own mashup, taking the best of what you like.

I myself have combined:

• RCRN (without it's .dll based post-processing to pick up FPS)
  • ELFX (w/ELFX Enhancer but not ELFX Exteriors)
  • Expanded Skyrim Weather
  • Supreme Storms
  • Supreme & Volumetric Fog
  • Vividian 6.02 Vivid ENB (w/out any of the optional weather / ELE plugins)

Only Vividian claims compatibility with RCRN, and for everything else, I had to make my own patch plugin that gets it all working together. And then I'm also using a bunch of diffuse texture replacer mods for the sun, clouds, rain, snow, etc.

If you are using a weather mod you like, though, there are ways to get the nights darker, including specific mods for that purpose depending on which weather mod we're talking about.

• +1 3

I was searching for any information on the realistic Lighting Overhaul mod in this thread and learned it may not be compatible with REGS :( that sucks. Can anyone recommend a good lighting mod that works with REGS or just making nights darker, that's all I really want. Next I want a mod like Enhanced Dynamic Weather System. Anyone using this mod or something similar with REGS? Thanks guys.

I use WAO - Weather and Ambience Overhaul. Great mod that combines weather, sounds and lighting mods. The mega patch has been meticulously crafted so all mods work together seamlessly - quite incredible that you get the best of all worlds in this one. There are a number of lighting options available depending on your preference, plus some specific combinations. It will save quite a few patches in your load order as well! The author is about to add a Pure Weathers version in the coming days.

• +1 1

Thank you. I'm probably gonna stay up all night doing this and quite excited to get WAO running! I just want to make sure I can use this compilation of mods with REGS. Do I also need to check all my other mods for patches to work with Climates of Tamriel? I'm gonna keep it simple, so just using the CoT requirements without the recomended mods, aside from those that I do have from the STEP Core guide. Edit: I got it all done finally ><!! Gonna see how it looks in-game and hope nothing breaks from REGS and Core. Thanks again everyone!

Lastly, the Pure Weathers version would replace the CoT version, or would both work together? Thanks again everyone.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Lastly, the Pure Weathers version would replace the CoT version, or would both work together? Thanks again everyone.

Glad you got WAO working ok. I think you'll be impressed in game. It has the best of everything. I haven't found any conflict with REGS or STEP. Amazingly the Pure Weathers version is in addition to COT, so it's not a replacement. I've been helping with the beta testing. But in the meantime the current WAO will work just fine.

• +1 1

Glad you got WAO working ok. I think you'll be impressed in game. It has the best of everything. I haven't found any conflict with REGS or STEP. Amazingly the Pure Weathers version is in addition to COT, so it's not a replacement. I've been helping with the beta testing. But in the meantime the current WAO will work just fine.

If I use both ELFX and ELE per SRLE, which version should I use?

Thanks for the help. Now my only problem with WAO is the looping creature sounds no matter where I go. The author seems to know about it, so I can't wait for that next update. It's so bad, I'll play with the volume off.

I have a mod in question, I know REGS changes city exteriors, so please tell me this mod works with REGS: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52546/?

Says it's compatible with any mod that doesn't make changes behind the Bannered Mare in Whiterun.

Also if anyone has mods that adds Thieves Guild hideouts all over the major holds to work with this guide, please share. Would be great for a thief play-through and slowly gain access to new areas and watch the Thieves Guild expand as you help them in quests.

Thanks, that fixed it. I'm getting some microstuttering unfortunately, so I guess I gotta learn to use the DDSopt to free up some VRAM ;_; I just wanna play though. I'll ask on the Core guide forums what else I shoudl remove, because I already removed all graphics mods, I only kept the LOD and distant terrain mods. They make my Skyrim look beautiful from a distance :)

Btw, Teabag, let us know pssst over here when UnmeiX plans to release the next update. I'm really excited to get all this running with Pure Waters. Any performance hits with it in? Let us know.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

I use WAO also but with a interesting spin on it which will take too long to explain :/

The only thing that I hate is the real rain stuff because it looks pretty bad, to me anyhow.

It also has issues with ENB rain.

I cant tell if it the texture or what but I'll look into that another day

Btw, Teabag, let us know pssst over here when UnmeiX plans to release the next update. I'm really excited to get all this running with Pure Waters. Any performance hits with it in? Let us know.

I'd say the new version will be released any day now. Alpha and Beta testing is I believe complete and UnmeiX just needs to add the various lighting configurations. I didn't have any performance hit at all. The addition of Pure Weathers ultimately gives more weather variety. Currently there is vanilla, COT and ESS, so this gives a fourth range of weather. PW sunsets are pretty amazing.

BTW UnmeiX also has another mega patch titled RSE - Requiem Survival Experience. It combines Requiem with Hunterborn (my fav mod), Frostfall and RND. I'm currently using this alongside WAO for my first Requiem play through. It's challenging :)

Just updated to the latest REGS version. Did a random start (Alt Start) and ended up in Karnsdale Farm. However, seems like Frost River Meadery is right on top of it. I can go back and forth on the door to be given the option to enter one or the other.

This seems to extend into the farm yard as well. As I look a potatoes or cabbage, I can alternately take or steal them.

I believe this is a conflict between Cutting Room Floor and Alternate Start. Not really sure though. Did I miss something in my install? Is this a known issue? Or am I alone in having it?

Also noticed a signpost halfway in a building just south of dragon bridge. This might be my fault, as I added Fight Against the Thalmor IV (South Dragon Bridge). If so, I'll play through that content, then remove it from the game...

Just updated to the latest REGS version. Did a random start (Alt Start) and ended up in Karnsdale Farm. However, seems like Frost River Meadery is right on top of it. I can go back and forth on the door to be given the option to enter one or the other.

This seems to extend into the farm yard as well. As I look a potatoes or cabbage, I can alternately take or steal them.

I believe this is a conflict between Cutting Room Floor and Alternate Start. Not really sure though. Did I miss something in my install? Is this a known issue? Or am I alone in having it?

Also noticed a signpost halfway in a building just south of dragon bridge. This might be my fault, as I added Fight Against the Thalmor IV (South Dragon Bridge). If so, I'll play through that content, then remove it from the game...

Are you using both LAL and Interesting NPC's lastest versions? If so, Interesting NPC's just released a patch for LAL, might fix the problem, not sure :/