WATER - Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux (by SparrowPrince)

Asimov

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, just noticed that this mod has a "med res" option under the main file, was wondering if this was worth considering with 1gb vram and a full(ish) step install? All other mods are at 1024 res where available, but I thought maybe the loss in quality was maybe deemed unnacceptable for the performance gain (if any) and the VERY noticeable nature of water in skyrim.

As an aisde, as opticshooter lost some of the files relating to this and the last update was October, anyone have any opinions on this versus Pure Waters? It's still being updated, and I know it doesnt have the extra bells and whistles of WATER, but by all accounts it seems to do the main stuff very well.

Hi guys, just noticed that this mod has a "med res" option under the main file, was wondering if this was worth considering with 1gb vram and a full(ish) step install? All other mods are at 1024 res where available, but I thought maybe the loss in quality was maybe deemed unnacceptable for the performance gain (if any) and the VERY noticeable nature of water in skyrim.

I have 1GB as well and use the Med Res just for the sake of monitoring my VRAM usage. I haven't really notice that much of a difference in using it over the full version. Of course, I don't typically pay too much attention to the water in the first place besides a quick glance when running pass a river.

EDIT: The Med Res only changes 8 of the included textures.

I am experimenting with ddsopt with various mods, this one here seems to be one of the most affected by the DXt compression.

Some water textures become still I don't know why, mainly observed in the texture when the water falls above more water.

Changing the compression of space maps to the second option in constrains (R5G something else), it looks like it retains the animations.

I would much appreciate a more detailed (but not to extensive, haha) explanation about which textures types I should be aware of compressing, like this one.

Should I make default compress all the space maps textures to R5G6B5? What other types of texture maps I should be aware of this?

ps.: I can't find the ddsopt thread

I am experimenting with ddsopt with various mods, this one here seems to be one of the most affected by the DXt compression.

Some water textures become still I don't know why, mainly observed in the texture when the water falls above more water.

Changing the compression of space maps to the second option in constrains (R5G something else), it looks like it retains the animations.

I would much appreciate a more detailed (but not to extensive, haha) explanation about which textures types I should be aware of compressing, like this one.

Should I make default compress all the space maps textures to R5G6B5? What other types of texture maps I should be aware of this?

ps.: I can't find the ddsopt thread

Please read the full mod page of any mod before posting issues. The author of WATER states very clearly not to use texture optimizers on this mod:

Users should be aware that the use of texture optimizers has the potential to introduce graphical corruption and crashes. Some textures, including WATER, require special consideration and should not be treated in this way. Optimizers that modify NIFs have the potential to cause CTDs.

@WilliamImmThank you! I read a lot, but sometimes I just got overwhelmed with technical stuff I don't know, and just want to know what option to choose. But I love to know why also. :)

I will take some time reading that, but I don't know nothing about texture formats, so I don't know what to expect... mostly technical stuff about textures just sounds like gibberish to me...

@techangel85 yes I really know about that, just experimenting. I AM using it compressed, without problems other the ones I mentioned. :)

From what I know DDSopt only optimize textures, and not meshes (nif). And is safe to use, I optimized so much stuff, and beside rarely weird looking textures, no crashes.

I really just want to know better ways to optimize the different types of textures with the tool.

ps.: I used this as reference to start: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls/Mod_Optimization

ps.: Damn! I think i will have to read all that big topic ¬¬

• 2 weeks later...

• Lily pads added around lake Ilinalta.
  • Typha and cat-tails added around lake Ilinalta.
  • Optional plants .esp
  • Fixed splash effect used in some dungeons so it doesn't jump.
  • Ocean, lake and Riften water transparency decreased slightly (due to some feeling it removes depth from the rivers).
  • Refraction depth increased for Oceans, Lakes and Rivers.
  • Blackreach water now has new noise texture applied.
  • Markarth water flows are faster.
  • River sparkle (specular width) reduced.
  • Ocean, lake and Riften water now has less specular shine (white highlights).
  • Ocean, lake and Riften water now has less reflectivity.
  • Frog spawn added around lake Ilinalta.

• Lily pads added around lake Ilinalta.
  • Typha and cat-tails added around lake Ilinalta.
  • Optional plants .esp
  • Fixed splash effect used in some dungeons so it doesn't jump.
  • Ocean, lake and Riften water transparency decreased slightly (due to some feeling it removes depth from the rivers).
  • Refraction depth increased for Oceans, Lakes and Rivers.
  • Blackreach water now has new noise texture applied.
  • Markarth water flows are faster.
  • River sparkle (specular width) reduced.
  • Ocean, lake and Riften water now has less specular shine (white highlights).
  • Ocean, lake and Riften water now has less reflectivity.
  • Frog spawn added around lake Ilinalta.
Didn't Vurt add lily pads and cat-tails as well? Conflicts?