aMidianBorn Caves and Mines (by CaBaL)

kryptopyr

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have any suggestions for a name? Maybe Cave Comparisons?

Ugh how exactly would I set the page up since I won't be adding the mod links this is just compares.

I'd need to have a lengthy list of tabs (around 50). Also I'll be uploading for another hour at least.

You have any suggestions for a name? Maybe Cave Comparisons?

Ugh how exactly would I set the page up since I won't be adding the mod links this is just compares.

I'd need to have a lengthy list of tabs (around 50). Also I'll be uploading for another hour at least.

There are lots of ways you could set it up ... using subpages under the main page:

wiki.step-project.com/Screenshots/Caves/Subpage1:

=Set1=

{{Gallery

|enable=Yes

|galleryitems={{GalleryItems

|url=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45644759/Screens/Vurt%27s%20compare/100.00%20STEP%20%28SFO%20v175_DT%29.jpg

|caption=100.00 STEP (SFO v175_DT)}}{{GalleryItems

|url=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45644759/Screens/Vurt%27s%20compare/100.02-175.jpg

|caption=100.02-175}}

|align=center}}

=Set2=

{{Gallery

|enable=Yes

|galleryitems={{GalleryItems

|url=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45644759/Screens/Vurt%27s%20compare/100.00%20STEP%20%28SFO%20v175_DT%29.jpg

|caption=100.00 STEP (SFO v175_DT)}}{{GalleryItems

|url=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45644759/Screens/Vurt%27s%20compare/100.02-175.jpg

|caption=100.02-175}}

|align=center}}

wiki.step-project.com/Screenshots/Caves/Subpage2: ... yada, yada

Or use HS Gallery (written by s4n and implemented on our wiki).

As long as you supply the links to the image assets, someone could handle that ... but I certainly don't have that kind of time at the moment. If you define the sets and blocks and the number of images in each ... maybe an ordered list of the image links ... then it would be fairly fast and simple to create the markup en masse.

Ok so here are all of the individual galleries. There is a gallery for each: Vanilla + Mod and STEP + Mod.

South Brittleshin Pass

Ravenscar Hollow

Embershard Mine

Lower Steepfall Burrow

Rimerock Burrow

Ok so here are all of the individual galleries. There is a gallery for each: Vanilla + Mod and STEP + Mod.

Testing to see if the first set of links work.

First link only has vanilla and S&R HD, and the fourth set is a broken link, I think it is listing http twice.

Anyways in the second and third sets I like S&R HD, aMB, Hectrols, Vanilla, Beauty in that order.

Interestingly (though I have not looked at all the pictures yet) there is a marked similarity between S&R HD and BoS' date=' very little change between those two and neither is particularly close to vanilla.[/quote']

I noted this too. I think that BoS is using the same texture source as S&R, which makes me question both as being original. This is evident mostly in the ice.

PS: Is nobody noticing that the vanilla HRDLC textures are at least as good as the others and in most cases better than all but aMB (which is not in the same style and color range as vanilla)??

I just noticed that the new STEP Mandate allows for inclusion into STEP:Extended ... this is fine, so we will consider the winner for either as it applies (and the contenders likewise).

EDIT: phazer's compares added to OP, so please review them all before voting. Multiple votes allowed.

Just FYI Zed you somehow broke the links from my post when you moved them to the OP. As has been said Snow and Rocks and The Beauty of Skyrim look scary similar in some of my compares. In one it looked like the only difference was one of the grey rock textures it was surreal. The ground was the biggest negative in all of my tests. However I did not notice any of the oddities tech presented with his compares. In fact in addition to not seeing those "errors" I noticed fewer seams than without aMB.

Interestingly (though I have not looked at all the pictures yet) there is a marked similarity between S&R HD and BoS' date=' very little change between those two and neither is particularly close to vanilla.[/quote']

I noted this too. I think that BoS is using the same texture source as S&R' date=' which makes me question both as being original. This is evident mostly in the ice.

PS: Is nobody noticing that the vanilla HRDLC textures are at least as good as the others and in most cases better than all but aMB (which is not in the same style and color range as vanilla)??

I just noticed that the new STEP Mandate allows for inclusion into STEP:Extended ... this is fine, so we will consider the winner for either as it applies (and the contenders likewise).

EDIT: phazer's compares added to OP, so please review them all before voting. Multiple votes allowed.[/quote']

I'm not sure where you guys are seeing these things. S&R and BoS may look slightly similar (just as S&R is similar to vanilla); however, I see very clear differences. The smoothness of all the textures in BoS is much smoother. The ground is darker and completely different that S&R. Even the color is different. Z92 and all, BoS doesn't cover the majority of the ice textures and some others. This is why they look nearly the same in some compares. You can confirm this by opening up their respected mod folders. Only 15 textures in BoS for caves vs 34 in S&R, hence the reason I suggested to keep S&R and simply overwrite it with BoS in Extended since I'm voting for BoS. If aMidianborn wins out, there would be not reason to keep either as CaBal has covered even more than S&R with 40 textures for caves.

BoS = 15 textures for caves

S&R = 34 textures for caves

aMb = 40 textures for caves

I have noticed Vanilla HRDLC being able to stand on it own though and it's for this reason I think for Core, Vanilla is the best of these options. The winner of this poll should be put in Extended rather than Core. S&R is currently marked as Core; however, I think most Admin would agree that from the results of this testing that it can be dropped from Core and planned for Extended instead (if it or BoS wins out on this thread). If aMidianborn wins out, S&R can be dropped completely and replaced by it.

Having looked at a few more, AMB and Hectrols don't edit the mines so those compares are invalid - only caves should be contrasted with the others (probably already been pointed out somewhere).

Still don't think that S&R HD or BoS offer any improvement on vanilla (HRDLC) - only Hectrols and AMB do so and much prefer the style of AMB to Hectrols.

OK stupid question time - What is the OP? Where is it and does it smell?

:)

EDIT: Have to agree with you there Tech, at least as far as the screenies don't just show the textures of the mod in question. A true comparison would show specific competing textures from each mod and voting on those (headache anyone?). This is probably why some appear so close to vanilla in many shots.

Vanilla is my vote for CORE (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but then in Extended I would like AMB as I prefer the atmosphere and look in Cabal's work.