Pandora Behavior Engine+

ButchDiavolo

Discussion topic:
Pandora Behavior Engine+ by Monitor144Hz
Wiki Link

"A modular and lightweight behavior engine for TES Skyrim SE, for creatures and humanoids.

Built with backwards compatibility in mind for Nemesis Unlimited Behavior Engine and FNIS, Pandora is an alternative engine streamlines both the author and user experience through a simplified UI, robust logging, intuitive formats, and fast patching times."

I just tested this out and it works like a charm. In fact, it worked so fast and effortless, that I thought it didn't so anything, until I checked the output folder...

Currently only on GitHub (I adjusted the hyperlink). I think this is a good (to me preferable) alternative for Nemesis. It has built in compatibility with Nemesis and FNIS. It recognizes human and animal animations. And it is very actively being worked on. As far as I can see, the "issues" page mainly lists "niche" animation mods. Other issues are solved fast.

Installation/ use:

• download from GitHub
  • install as a mod
  • point MO2 to the exe file
  • create a dedicates output "mod" (i.e. Pandora Output) and point MO2 to that for output. Keep output active!
  • disable FNIS and Nemesis
  • run Pandora
  • within less than a second (for me) it is done! EDIT: I lied! It is 2.6 seconds. Sorry. ;)

More information on GitHub at the link.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The seriously frustrating thing about this is its supposed to be plug and play. On Github for Vortex users it says download mod, create exe... easy peasy... then run ok. TICK ALL MODS.... well there are 2 only, Pandora and XMPSE.... nothing else...

Then come here it says;

• create a dedicates output "mod" (i.e. Pandora Output) and point MO2 to that for output. Keep output active!

For a layman like me... HOW? what do you do?

I love the idea and really want to do it... but where's all the mods to tick? the instructions ANYWHERE is basically a waste of time. I'm frustrated as all hell because I see a few people saying its great so I missing steps to this supposed easy install and run mod.... and I'm hearing so many others having the same issue.

Is there ANYWHERE that gives us a step by step way to get the patches to 'tick' and be as easy to plug and play like Nemesis currently is?

Sorry for frustration, but I have been trying to get this mod to work for months - try, get frustrated, leave.... wait for possible updates... try again... its the same.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Pro-Worx said:

The seriously frustrating thing about this is its supposed to be plug and play. On Github for Vortex users it says download mod, create exe... easy peasy... then run ok. TICK ALL MODS.... well there are 2 only, Pandora and XMPSE.... nothing else...

Then come here it says;

I love the idea and really want to do it... but where's all the mods to tick? the instructions ANYWHERE is basically a waste of time. I'm frustrated as all hell because I see a few people saying its great so I missing steps to this supposed easy install and run mod.... and I'm hearing so many others having the same issue.

Is there ANYWHERE that gives us a step by step way to get the patches to 'tick' and be as easy to plug and play like Nemesis currently is?

Sorry for frustration, but I have been trying to get this mod to work for months - try, get frustrated, leave.... wait for possible updates... try again... its the same.

Thanks in advance.

In MO:

image.png

image.png

Vortex will do the same thing, I think, but you need to explore the UI.

2 hours ago, Pro-Worx said:

Then come here it says;

Thanks in advance.

Did you ever figure this out? For me everything else works fine, except I'm I'm having trouble with skeletons A posing (the actual skeleton creature), I have a feeling this is from Skeleton Replacer HD (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/52845?tab=description)

I'm guessing upon uninstall it has leftover rogue behavior files.  I basically need to delete them and verify integrity of files I think, I'm about to just purge mods andd do a reinstall but I'd like to know where this pandora output folder is or should be

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

In MO:

image.png

image.png

Vortex will do the same thing, I think, but you need to explore the UI.

Thank you I appreciate the lesson.

From what I see and re-read, you only need to create that for MO2 users. Vortex is supposed to be plug and play.

What I still am not seeing in anything at all is whether Pandora automatically reads patches to add to its program like Nemesis does, OR whether I have to upload them or do something to point them to Pandora.

Because everywhere just says, upload file - I did; Pandora 1.18
Then create an exe in dashboard - I did
Then run Pandora - I did
There are no patches beside Pandora base, and XPMSE - which no longer works because it requires FNIS or Nemesis as it also says disable FNIS/Nemesis.

There are no videos, no straightforward instructions, no forums or discussion places - that I am aware of.

I understand it is still in alpha, but it has got to be easier than this.

https://freeimage.host/i/JMrBwSn

Edited by Pro-Worx

Thank you I appreciate the lesson.

From what I see and re-read, you only need to create that for MO2 users. Vortex is supposed to be plug and play.

What I still am not seeing in anything at all is whether Pandora automatically reads patches to add to its program like Nemesis does, OR whether I have to upload them or do something to point them to Pandora.

Because everywhere just says, upload file - I did; Pandora 1.18
Then create an exe in dashboard - I did
Then run Pandora - I did
There are no patches beside Pandora base, and XPMSE - which no longer works because it requires FNIS or Nemesis as it also says disable FNIS/Nemesis.

There are no videos, no straightforward instructions, no forums or discussion places - that I am aware of.

I understand it is still in alpha, but it has got to be easier than this.

https://freeimage.host/i/JMrBwSn

I assume you have animation mods active in the mod list that are not showing up in Pandora?

What version of the game are you running? Make sure your mod list is compatible with your game runtime version. If you are running the latest version of the game, be sure you are also running Backported ESL Support.

Seems like you have compatibility issues if I had to guess.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

I assume you have animation mods active in the mod list that are not showing up in Pandora?

What version of the game are you running? Make sure your mod list is compatible with your game runtime version. If you are running the latest version of the game, be sure you are also running Backported ESL Support.

Seems like you have compatibility issues if I had to guess.

I am on 1.6.1170 and all files including runtime and everything is up to date, running perfectly. All animations run perfect on FNIS and Nemesis, stable DynDOLOD and in general all is great.

I am on 1.6.1170 and all files including runtime and everything is up to date, running perfectly. All animations run perfect on FNIS and Nemesis, stable DynDOLOD and in general all is great.

works for me if I reinstall the mods after installig pandora, for instance CGOstripped wasn't showing up, I reinstalled and now there is a tick box for it

• +1 1

1 hour ago, Tyrthemis said:

works for me if I reinstall the mods after installig pandora, for instance CGOstripped wasn't showing up, I reinstalled and now there is a tick box for it

OK, I'll give it a go at re-installing all the animation related mods. That sounds like a plausible solution. Thanks... will report back when done.

EDIT: Nope didn't work. I disabled FNIS and Nemesis. Reinstalled all animation mods... and a big fat waste of time nothing!!!

Edited by Pro-Worx

Still not able to get Pandora to recognise any mods.

Have I downloaded correct files? The latest Pandora files is alpha 1.18. When I go there there are 3 files;

https://github.com/Monitor144hz/Pandora-Behaviour-Engine-Plus/releases/tag/v1.1.8-alpha#:~:text=Pandora_Behaviour_Engine_v1.1.8-alpha.zip
https://github.com/Monitor144hz/Pandora-Behaviour-Engine-Plus/releases/tag/v1.1.8-alpha#:~:text=Source code,(zip)
https://github.com/Monitor144hz/Pandora-Behaviour-Engine-Plus/archive/refs/tags/v1.1.8-alpha.tar.gz

I download all 3.
Do what the instructions say for Vortex
Install them via Vortex 'Install from file'
Go to dashboard set up Pandora via users...\mods\Pandora_Behaviour_Engine_v1.1.8-alpha\Pandora Behaviour Engine+

Ensure that both Nemesis and FNIS are disabled

Run Pandora

Get split screen with two mods upper of;

XPMSE
Pandora Base

Nothing anywhere else.

Hit launch;

Resources loaded successfully.

Pandora Mod 1 : XPMSE Patch For Pandora - v.1.0.0
Pandora Mod 2 : Pandora Base - v.1.0.0

0 total animations added.

Launch finished in 0.21 seconds

That's it. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE help me with this PLEASE !!!!!!

5 hours ago, Pro-Worx said:

Still not able to get Pandora to recognise any mods.

Have I downloaded correct files? The latest Pandora files is alpha 1.18. When I go there there are 3 files;

https://github.com/Monitor144hz/Pandora-Behaviour-Engine-Plus/releases/tag/v1.1.8-alpha#:~:text=Pandora_Behaviour_Engine_v1.1.8-alpha.zip
https://github.com/Monitor144hz/Pandora-Behaviour-Engine-Plus/releases/tag/v1.1.8-alpha#:~:text=Source code,(zip)
https://github.com/Monitor144hz/Pandora-Behaviour-Engine-Plus/archive/refs/tags/v1.1.8-alpha.tar.gz

I download all 3.
Do what the instructions say for Vortex
Install them via Vortex 'Install from file'
Go to dashboard set up Pandora via users...\mods\Pandora_Behaviour_Engine_v1.1.8-alpha\Pandora Behaviour Engine+

Ensure that both Nemesis and FNIS are disabled

Run Pandora

Get split screen with two mods upper of;

XPMSE
Pandora Base

Nothing anywhere else.

Hit launch;

Resources loaded successfully.

Pandora Mod 1 : XPMSE Patch For Pandora - v.1.0.0
Pandora Mod 2 : Pandora Base - v.1.0.0

0 total animations added.

Launch finished in 0.21 seconds

That's it. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE help me with this PLEASE !!!!!!

Hey Pro-Worx,

Unfortunately I have no idea how Vortex works, but I think that shouldn't really matter. I guess you install it like you did FNIS.

As far as the files you downloaded: the only on you really need is the first one. The second one is the source code, which is for modders and I am not sure what the 3rd one is. Perhaps an alternative install file. The first download should give you "Pandora_Behaviour_Engine_v1.1.8-alpha.zip". This is the file to install. This version also has the XPMSE patch included, so if you downloaded that patch before, uninstall it.

As to why it won't work for you, I am not sure to be honest. You did Install it as a mod and not as an executible? The files need to be loaded by MO2/Vortex, so it uses the virtual file system. And most importantly: the empty FNIS.esp from Pandora needs to be loaded and activated. This is what directs to the skeletons to be used.

Another thing to check is making sure all Nemesis and/ or FNIS files are deactivated, which includes the output files.

If you did this, double check that the files aren't being blocked by either Windows or your anti-virus program.

Just for the record: there is no need to reinstall animation mods. They are fine as they are.

Other than the above, I have no idea why it doesn't Just Work™

• +1 1

Thanks. I have used only the first file to start with, and nope nothing. Hence why I downloaded all others and everything in between because I thought there was something missing as it wasn't working as stated.

So from everything I have read, Pandora should automatically look for and recognise animation mods that I have. I haven't been ultra-thorough in ensuring every single trace of Nemesis and FNIS is removed. I will try that. But I have been trying Pandora now for months - get frustrated, lose hope - leave it... then try again a week or so later.

I appreciate people like you answering as it gives that bit of encouragement to do it again. I am not stupid, and no noob to modding, but this one is a pain in the butt. WHEN I get the answer, I am going to post it loud and long as I KNOW I am not the only one experiencing it... you either get it right, or it bends you over.... again and again...

So WHNE I get the answer, hopefully I can help another me to curb their frustrations.

Thanks again.

Well I tried again. Removed all traces of FNIS and Nemesis mods and data from everywhere associated with Skyrim and my computer.

Loaded up 1.18 only.
Created exe in Dashboard
ran it

Exactly the same result. Only lists inbuilt XPMSE and Pandora Base... thats it.

If I am being stupid, and/or a noob, then I'd be happy to take the loss of face and bruise on ego... but there is simply no one out there beside a couple of people here that has anything to offer. Nothing. No forums, no youtube lesson, no reddit, nothing.

So I'll delete it again for now, and try again in a week and hopefully in that time someone that has the time and day will help....

Thanks again.

On 3/9/2024 at 1:21 PM, Pro-Worx said:

Well I tried again. Removed all traces of FNIS and Nemesis mods and data from everywhere associated with Skyrim and my computer.

Loaded up 1.18 only.
Created exe in Dashboard
ran it

Exactly the same result. Only lists inbuilt XPMSE and Pandora Base... thats it.

If I am being stupid, and/or a noob, then I'd be happy to take the loss of face and bruise on ego... but there is simply no one out there beside a couple of people here that has anything to offer. Nothing. No forums, no youtube lesson, no reddit, nothing.

So I'll delete it again for now, and try again in a week and hopefully in that time someone that has the time and day will help....

Thanks again.

The only lists build in are always just Pandora Base and XMPSE. So it won't list the animation mods in its UI (because it doesn't know they exist yet). While running, the program goes through your mod list to find mods with animations and checks/ includes them when it finds them. Or at least it should. It is just weird that it doesn't for you. But I do agree there is very little (no) information to be found online. Perhaps because it is still being developed and pretty much an alpha. No idea why the creator isn't more forthcoming with information though.

Anyway, I am inclined to think that the issue lies with how Vortex installs things? Of course I am not sure about that, because, after trying it once and Vortex messed up my Skyrim so bad, that I had to reinstall my whole PC, I have never touched it again. So I can only describe how to install it in MO2.

The way to install it with MO2 is:

• download the latest release (v 1.1.8-alpha as I type this)
  • install the file as a mod (make sure to activate the installed FNIS.esp!). The files MUST be in your mod list.
  • create an empty dedicated output mod (i.e. Pandora Output) and activate this.
  • use the Pandore Behaviour Engine+.exe in the mod or through the Data tab, to create the executable for use with MO2
  • tell the executable to put the output files in Pandora Output and save.
  • start the program with MO2, select both the Pandora base and XMPSE options and run the program
  • Blink* <-- * = optional (this is a joke, because it is so fast)
  • close the program, which created the files in like 3 milliseconds, which it will list in the UI
  • refresh the mod list and check the Pandora Output mod, which should have all the output files in it
  • done.

Obviously it doesn't work that way for you though. And I honestly don't understand why. It is probably some iddy-biddy tiny thing, as per usual in these situation.

EDIT: Extra information for Vortex Users, as supplied by Monitor144hz via Pro-Worx:

Vortex creates an intermediate folder when using Pandora. To get it to work properly, extract all the contents directly into the games "Data" folder.

• +1 1