Increasing the Render View Distance?

ENB ok, I didn't think an ENB would make the grass look two tone like this.

Also, something else, I forgot to mention, the first screen shot with the green circles, the brown looking grass, up to the circles, why does it look like some little clumps, instead of one smooth flowing field of grass, the ENB again?

These screen shots z929669 took, of course he's in a different area when taking them, but I wonder if the grass should also appear like that to me, when I'm standing outside Whiterun, with the grass? hmm

DynDOLOD 3 - Is This As Good As Trees Get? - General Skyrim SE Discussion & Support - Step Modifications | Change The Game

THANKS

P.S. Of course when I get closer to the grass it looks better, but just standing there outside Whiterun, with this grass like only 100ft away, I didn't think should look like a field of clumpy grass/patches... 

Edited by mooit

I just disabled the ENB and I still have green grass in the distance. hmm 

Also, as I was asking before, why does my grass look so clumpy at close distance? I placed red circles around the areas of grass that have this clumpy look, looks really bad.

I don't get why my grass close up looks so crappy and still the green hue? hmm

Grass_no_enb.thumb.jpg.5812af188a4439be67664748ab55937f.jpg

THANKS

P.S. I shouldn't say the grass looks crappy close up, it's when I'm at an angle like this, standing up high, looking down on the grass at a short distance like this screen shot, when it looks crappy... :(

Edited by mooit

I noticed depending on the lighting the grass from an angle will look clumpy. 

Look out how much better the grass looks close up now when it's not as sunny. Sunnier conditions, seem to make the grass appear clumpier.

Grass_1.thumb.jpg.136ec67b25946fb6429a355a5de86617.jpg

Grass_2.thumb.JPG.ac4bdb887e125c9345b0dff6bfbd2b06.JPG

As for grass changing the Tundra, I'm not aware that any of my landscape mods will change this. The only mod I know that adds in grass is Origins of Forest, but this is suppose to be grass in the forests, so not sure if that counts for the areas I'm looking at in Whiterun. hmm

Origins Of Forest - 3D Forest Grass Reduced at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

I'm attaching my modlist from MO2, if someone could please be so kind when you have time to look through, for any grass like mod that conflicts with Cathedral Landscapes, would be greatly appreciated. Every mod I have installed and read, I didn't see anywhere a conflict.

I didn't have any ENB when I took these screen shots.

THANKS

P.S. Looking back, I remember now when I first started using Cathedral Landscapes, picking the brown tundra, how everything looked brown, hmm, not sure what's causing the issue now.

modlist.txt

Edited by mooit

If you didn't use the Landscape textures for xLODGen from Cathedral Landscapes, then that is why your distance landscape looks off. You need to install it, regen with xLODGen, and the deactivate it when done. If you did use this file, then you may need to adjust the gamma to a setting that matches for your setup. I believe we use +1.25 with this combination to get the colors to match.

32 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

If you didn't use the Landscape textures for xLODGen from Cathedral Landscapes, then that is why your distance landscape looks off. You need to install it, regen with xLODGen, and the deactivate it when done. If you did use this file, then you may need to adjust the gamma to a setting that matches for your setup. I believe we use +1.25 with this combination to get the colors to match.

Yes, I'm using LODGEN Textures for v3;

Cathedral Landscapes at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

If you mean 1.25 for the xLODGen gamma, that is what I'm using, this is my xLODGen settings.

xLODGen.thumb.jpg.172b04ced3d483272447550665dc09d9.jpg

THANKS

Origins of Forest is the cluprit! LOL :P

I disabled it and then ran xLODGen, TexGen and DynDOLOD over. :)

YEAH FINALLY! 

Whiterun.thumb.jpg.e086efa4686ff56b58157446ff15840c.jpg

Now I need to go back and install Cathedral Landscapes with the green tundra. For me, because I swear, if I remember correctly, as green, it looked better in different lighting and angles, compared to the brown tundra.

THANKS

Edited by mooit

I went back instead this time, and I still kept Origins of Forest disabled, created new grass cache and tried Verdant over, still doesn't work. Verdant won't render in the distance and I can get Cathedral Landscapes to render in the distance just fine, so I don't think I'm doing anything incorrect with Verdant.

Hmm

Edited by mooit

2 hours ago, mooit said:

I went back instead this time, and I still kept Origins of Forest disabled, created new grass cache and tried Verdant over, still doesn't work. Verdant won't render in the distance and I can get Cathedral Landscapes to render in the distance just fine, so I don't think I'm doing anything incorrect with Verdant.

Hmm

Well, it seems you have your answer.

12 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Since you are using NGIO, Grass Cache Fixes is unnecessary. 

See, I don't even know what @mooit is doing. I thought generating the grass cache in 1.5.97 for use in 1.6.xxx.

For the third time now ... object bounds? The response to the  Reddit post linked specifically mentions this, as I'm sure posts on the DynDOLOD support forums do as well somewhere, IIRC.

Using the forum search on the DynDOLOD Support forums can be revealing.

Since I don't know a lot of the technicalities, I thought object bounds as we were discussing it was more particular to grass distance/rendering, not grass in objects.

I'm using NGIO to generate grass, and I was only asking if Grass Cache Fixes needed to be enabled when playing in MO2, I thought there might of been some need for it enabled is all.

Edited by mooit

1 hour ago, mooit said:

Since I don't know a lot of the technicalities, I thought object bounds as we were discussing it was more particular to grass distance/rendering, not grass in objects.

I'm using NGIO to generate grass, and I was only asking if Grass Cache Fixes needed to be enabled when playing in MO2, I thought there might of been some need for it enabled is all.

You had been trying to generate grass LOD in the distance, and quite a few of your posts on this topic are about that. For that, you need grass LOD and thus object bounds must be defined by your grass mod. This allows grass to be rendered beyond loaded cells and in near/far grid without setting huge distances with NGIO.

If you are on SSE 1.5.97 runtime ... and staying on that, then NGIO stays enabled, and Grass Cache Fixes should not be used at all. If you are setting up grass for SSE 1.6.xxx, then you need to use Grass Cache Fixes and disable NGIO once you have your grass GID files.

57 minutes ago, z929669 said:

You had been trying to generate grass LOD in the distance, and quite a few of your posts on this topic are about that. For that, you need grass LOD and thus object bounds must be defined by your grass mod. This allows grass to be rendered beyond loaded cells and in near/far grid without setting huge distances with NGIO.

If you are on SSE 1.5.97 runtime ... and staying on that, then NGIO stays enabled, and Grass Cache Fixes should not be used at all. If you are setting up grass for SSE 1.6.xxx, then you need to use Grass Cache Fixes and disable NGIO once you have your grass GID files.

Ok thanks... :)

So after disabling Origins of Forest, I was playing around trying to make the grass look better, and somewhere along the way, I'm back to the same problems again. :(

I've been at this for several days, following the guide exactly as it pertains to the grass. (With a few changes, only 5 to be exact).

But I am still running across these three issues.

1. Grass isn't rendering in the distance

2. If grass renders in the distance it's a different color than the grass at close distance.

3. Grass pops into view at about 100 ft.

I'm creating the grass cache in SSE 1.5x and playing in 1.6x with NGIO not installed and Grass Cache Fixes installed.

The only way I can get the grass to render in the distance is to use in the NGIO GrassControl.config; (But even with this setting, grass pops into view at a close distance)

SuperDenseGrass = True
SuperDenseMode = 8

If I make SuperDenseGrass = False, then the grass doesn't render in the distance like this screen shot;

GrassDistance.thumb.jpg.98fa710602075b09191fc6530a47eb1e.jpg

Also the clumpy/patch look to the grass, the only way I can make it look like real grass is to use these settings, then the grass looks full and normal.

The only thing I have different in NGIO since I'm using AE 1.6x are these two settings; (I just use the settings by the Guide in the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini)

OverwriteGrassDistance = False
OverwriteGrassFadeRange = False
OverwriteMinGrassSize = False

I'm attaching all the files related to this, I'd greatly appreciate any help here, I just don't understand why I keep running into the issues I listed in 1-3.... hmm

I also don't have any other grass mods installed only Cathedral Landscapes.

Here's also a screen shot of the bottom of MO2 to see my Grass Cache, and xLODGen, TexGen, DynDOLOD mods. (This is how I've been starting the game, with the two LODGen ones disabled)

MO2.thumb.jpg.0dfa65ed4b209c3ac20094312925fd14.jpg

THANKS

P.S. Does StepModifications have a Discord channel?

Skyrim.ini SkyrimPrefs.ini GrassControl.config.txt Grass Cache Fixes.ini

Edited by mooit

After the last reply, I went back and changed only these two in GrassControl.conf;

OverwriteGrassDistance = 6144
OverwriteGrassFadeRange = 14128

The grass is not rendering in the distance...

P.S. After this reply, I changed next only; ExtendGrassCount = True

Still not working, can't get grass to render in the distance.

Edited by mooit