Increasing the Render View Distance?

55 minutes ago, mooit said:

Ok, I have it worked out, Landscape Fixes for Grass Mods has been giving me problems. If I have it installed in SSE 1.5x when I generate the grass cache, and I then have it installed in AE 1.6x and then run xLODGen, TexGen, DynDOLOD there's still grass/landscape issues.

So I had to remove Landscape Fixes for Grass Mods from SSE 1.5x before generating the grass cache, and then install it later after running xLODGen,  TexGen, DynDOLOD in AE 1.6x

NOW I have only GID and it's working.

THANKS

This is impossible.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

This is impossible.

My setup isn't 100% the same as the SSE Guide, so however you want to look at it, Landscape Fixes for Grass, doesn't like a particular landscape/grass/texture mod I'm using, or the  landscape/grass/texture mods don't like Landscape Fixes for Grass, there is a conflict somewhere.

As long as I had generated the grass cache with Landscape Fixes for Grass installed, then did xLODGEN, TexGen, DynDOLOD, landscape textures conflicted.

I went through every single landscape/grass/texture mod, that could be the problem, tried every solution, nothing worked, after 50 hours of testing. The only way I've been able to get past this, is to not have Landscape Fixes for Grass installed, until I'm done running xLODGen, TexGen, DynDOLOD in my MO2 AE setup.

If Landscape Fixes for Grass is installed before I run xLODGen, TexGen, DynDOLOD, then I run into this problem.

So if you're curious as to what had happened...

Notice the copper/brown looking areas on the ground, next to the gate cement, with the rocks on the left, and over by the walk way on the right, this is with Landscape Fixes for Grass enabled.

Mod-Enabled — ImgBB

Now I uncheck/disable Landscape Fixes in MO2. Now notice all the copper/brown, near the gate, and on the left is gone, the ground texture has changed. In the copper/brown look, there were even different rocks in it. Now the copper/brown is only on the right near the walkway. 

Mod-Disabled — ImgBB

So as I said, however you want to look at it, regardless, there's a conflict.

Looking over all the mods I have installed, the only ones that would have a conflict is that I use Cathedral Landscapes with Veydosebrom, but I tested this with around 5-7 different landscape/grass mods installed, so this is not a Cathedral Landscapes with Veydosebrom issue, because with every one of the other grass landscape mods, when Landscape Fixes for Grass was enabled, it also changed the scene with these other mods.

All I know is yes it's odd, but I've figured a way around it, install Landscape Fixes for Grass after everything is done, just before playing. :)

I'm attaching my mods list if interested, but I'm happy with my results now, but have a look at it, again if interested, maybe you'll figure this mystery out... LOL

Anyhow, I went Off Topic again, just trying to increase my render view now as before.

Render Distance - Objects Popping Into View Close - DynDOLOD & xLODGen Support - Step Modifications | Change The Game

THANKS

modlist.txt

Edited by mooit

10 hours ago, mooit said:

My setup isn't 100% the same as the SSE Guide, so however you want to look at it, Landscape Fixes for Grass, doesn't like a particular landscape/grass/texture mod I'm using, or the  landscape/grass/texture mods don't like Landscape Fixes for Grass, there is a conflict somewhere.

...snip/

It seems to me that Landscape fixes isn't at all the problem and that you likely changed > 1 thing in your method or config that allowed GID to work as expected. There is no way LFfGM could cause GID/CGID to work any differently than expected. More likely, you had GID/CGID active in your LO and DynDOLOD settings mismatch or other config inconsistencies.

This is precisely why we recommend people follow the System Setup Guide and use other best-practice methjodology, because it removes much of the noise and inconsistency from the equation. I still think this is the root cause of many of your issues ... inconsistency/unpredictability, and altering > 1 variable between tests.

The only thing I have different compared to the Guide, is only some different mods installed, and some of the mods in the guide not installed.

As far as following the steps of the guide, I have done all of them as mentioned in the guide. There were times when I tried different things, but that is only like increasing grass density, or rendering distances, nothing that is going to break someone's setup.

The way I see it, because I've been testing my setup for 50 hours, is that a combination of mods has shown a bug is all, the combination, and the various mods I have installed, something doesn't like them, after all, software isn't perfect.

So this isn't about doing anything wrong, it's just about taking, so called right things, and combining them, and sooner or later bugs appear when you simply add a lot of things into the mix.

For now it's good, but as the Geek I am that likes to play around, I'd still like to figure out what made this happen.

THANKS

Well I'm back to this again, and I've had Landscape Fixes installed and I'm trying to only use GID and when I do, now getting.

[05:20] Error reading grass WyrmstoothWorld [10,-8] <Unknown grass data file format>

But if I have both cgid and gid in my Grass Cache folder, then I don't get this message and DynDOLOD works ok, otherwise it crashes.

P.S. There are several other mods that have Landscape Fixes dependencies/patches, and I forgot to mention that, because I remove all of them too, so somewhere between all of them the issue goes away.

Edited by mooit

56 minutes ago, mooit said:

Well I'm back to this again, and I've had Landscape Fixes installed and I'm trying to only use GID and when I do, now getting.

[05:20] Error reading grass WyrmstoothWorld [10,-8] <Unknown grass data file format>

But if I have both cgid and gid in my Grass Cache folder, then I don't get this message and DynDOLOD works ok, otherwise it crashes.

P.S. There are several other mods that have Landscape Fixes dependencies/patches, and I forgot to mention that, because I remove all of them too, so somewhere between all of them the issue goes away.

My guess is you need to rebuild you grass cache and that CGID Wyrmstooth is effectively overriding GID Wyrnstooth (game engine may be using the former). There may be a key piece of info you need to generating Wyrmstooth grass. @DoubleYou will know about that.

32 minutes ago, z929669 said:

My guess is you need to rebuild you grass cache and that CGID Wyrmstooth is effectively overriding GID Wyrnstooth (game engine may be using the former). There may be a key piece of info you need to generating Wyrmstooth grass. @DoubleYou will know about that.

Wyrmstooth author mistakenly includes grass gid files from Oldrim that do not work with SSE. You will either need to remove these from the BSA or completely overwrite them with your own grass cache.

Ok, I deleted the 'grass' directory, and repacked it, because everything in it was a .gid.

Grass.thumb.jpg.5433517b7250682b4fc32eded354f0f7.jpg

I used BSArch, I hope it's fine to pack? -- 'bsarch.exe pack folder name.bsa -sse'

After removing the grass directory, when I ran DynDOLOD it still says;

[05:22] Error reading grass WyrmstoothWorld [15,3] <Unknown grass data file format> Is this ok?

THANKS

Edited by mooit

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm back to trying to understand, if the distance I see grass pop into view if this is correct?

I uploaded a video, it's seems a little blurry for some reason.

At 5 seconds, on the right, next to the big pile of rocks, by the pine trees, you'll see the grass become dark, this is it, popping into view.

Then at 17 seconds, with the pines in the distance, straight ahead of me, you'll see the grass becoming dark again, as I approach, this is where it begins to pop into view.

Here's the video, I hope it's clear enough to make out.

https://videocdn.cloud/files/01/scysLe.mp4

I don't know what LOD distance we are calling this, in general laymen terms, it's like 150-200ft, the distance I see grass pop into view. I thought with DynDOLOD, you don't see grass or object pop into view 150-200ft, as you approach. I thought one of the ideas of DynDOLOD, was to have objects rendered at greater distances, so you didn't see this in the game, allowing it to be more realistic looking.

I know we discussed this before, shenson mentioned some things, but I don't remember, and I wanted to now show with a video, if this is normal still with DynDOLOD, what I am seeing?

THANKS

Edited by mooit

12 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Looks like your shadow distance is too high, so the shadow of the trees on the grass on fully loaded grass makes it darker. 

Hmm, I set up Bethini like the Step guide.

So the shadow distance is what's making the grass pop into view when I get closer?

This is what I have;

fShadowDistance=8145.0000

I saw this post from a few years back should I follow these recommendations you made then?

Shadow Optimization for SSE - INI Tweaking - Step Modifications | Change The Game

THANKS

P.S. I noticed none of these settings are in my INI file like; (So have these been deprecated/removed, or I need to manually add them)?

[Display]
bDisableShadowJumps=1
fSunShadowUpdateTime=1.0000
fSunStaticTimeUpdateScale=0.1000
fSunUpdateThreshold=0.5000
Edited by mooit

Here are screen shots of the areas in the video.

Notice the areas with the red boxs, this lighter shade of green, is where, from what I gather, more like the Terrain LOD I see, not the grass. I'm using Cathedral  Landscapes with the Cathedral Landscapes - LODGEN Textures.

NoGrass.thumb.jpg.1f5ee8567f1263d6951e6f1b5a764c04.jpg

Now I move a little further forward, and now notice the same areas changed, this is the distance for me in the game, where I see the grass pop into view.

GrassAppears.thumb.jpg.6562ccc12fa6ff85545cf44995154eff.jpg

At this short of a distance in the game, I never expected that I would see grass popping into view. Something must be wrong? hmm

I see now, the trees are darker further away, and become lighter when I get closer in the screen shots, I wasn't paying attention to this before.

THANKS

P.S. I read; 

Grass only renders in the loaded cells, the 5x5 uGridsToLoad no matter what you set the INI settings to, but to use No Grass in Objects to extend grass beyond the loaded cells, along with DynDOLOD for grass LOD.

I put in NGIO GrassControl.config; (I'm not sure it can go this high, but it didn't seem to do anything. (It was originally 6144)

OverwriteGrassDistance = 20000

I also changed; true; ExtendGrassCount = True

All the other GrassControl.config settings are the defaults from the Step Guide.

Edited by mooit

Oh, I can see better from the screenshots now what is going on. The problem is ENB Complex Grass. It is literally impossible to get grass LOD to blend naturally with ENB Complex Grass atm. There is discussion about possible ways to rectify this, but currently no 100% accurate way to fix this. You're probably better off disabling it until it can get fixed.

I did have ENB Complex Grass installed in those screen shots, but I've had the same rendering distance grass issue before without it.

Here are screen shots with ENB Complex Grass uninstalled from MO2.

This screenshot, I am just outside the gate at Whiterun on the walkway. The grass with the green boxes is the Cathedral grass, the red box in the lighter shade of green, this is not the Cathedral grass being rendered at this distance, and I thought at such a short distance it would be rendered in view. 

Or it is Cathedral, it's just not fully rendered, and appears in a different shade, only showing some of the grass textures, not all.

GrassInDistance.thumb.jpg.5754091c27176798491b8667a388f3f1.jpg

Here are like the same shots as before with ENB Complex Grass uninstalled, the only difference you'll notice is that Cathedral now appears more neon green.

Same red boxes, no grass.

NoGrass.thumb.jpg.9cbb9b62f14bc2acd22468c3f8058c0b.jpg

I take a few steps forward, grass pops into view, as I mentioned before, now more neon shade without complex grass.

Grass.thumb.jpg.b1a28639e14b87f4b54691bd4dda9660.jpg

Edited by mooit