Increasing the Render View Distance?

After putting my Bethini settings as listed on the SSE Wiki, I went back and changed it to Ultra settings.

I'm running a 3080, and I'm getting great frames, so I'd like to have objects, the grass, buildings, etc., rendered/view far in the distance. I'm noticing that I have grass and objects popping into view, around only 50 meters in front of me, it looks really odd, and kills the immersion/reality.

With everything setup through the SSE Guide and DyDOLOD, I could of sworn I had better distance rendering, but I have changed my mods a lot, and now it looks odd.

I'm using Verdant for my grass.

Here are two screen shots at Whiterun, notice the red boxes, this is the Verdant grass, and the green look of the fields in the distance, the Verdant grass is not appearing in all of these areas.

Whiterun_1.thumb.jpg.23ba307552a88175da9c4046b78e1882.jpg

Even this screen shot, which I find really odd, how close I am to all of the area appearing in green, which should be showing the Verdant grass.

Whiterun_2.thumb.jpg.7d76e0aa51bb6112db0b685edcc125ab.jpg

I've been messing with so much over the past few days, I can't remember what settings allow for the render/view distance to be increased, for everything, not just the grass?

THANKS

Edited by mooit

If you follow the Grass LOD Guide and have a working grass cache, then the BethINI distances in Terrainmanager are maximized efficiently (as I posted on one of you other topics), and so are you Grass settings.

You either have to mess with the grass tint settings in DynDOLOD_SSE.ini, or your grass LOD isn't working correctly. Hard to tell. It could be that Verdant is missing object bounds for grass too. Try troubleshooting that with sheson.

EDIT: actually, try searching 'Verdant' in the DynDOLOD support forums.

7 hours ago, mooit said:

I've been messing with so much over the past few days, I can't remember what settings allow for the render/view distance to be increased, for everything, not just the grass?

THANKS

See the View Distance tab in BethINI. It's the Level 4, 8, and 16 settings. Everything else is there too. Tree far-off distance is on the Visuals tab. Instructions are at the top of the SE Guide, but you can just hit that Ultra button and check the Recommended settings box before making further tweaks. If you've never ran BethINI, then hit the Default button before choosing Ultra preset. That will reset your INIs to make sure you don't have any known bad settings.

I have read the guide(s) and I set Bethini according to it, I also set Bethini later to Ultra.

So the question is, according to what z929669 just mentioned, the Verdant grass should be rendered in these distances that appear green in the screen shots?

In the meantime I'll just crank all these settings for the View Distance Level 4, 8, 16 to their max and the Tree far-off distance to the max. By the way, the Tree far-off distance according the guide sets this at 0, I assumed, because DynDOLOD, took care of this?

THANKS

P.S. I set the View Distance Level 4, 8, 16 to their max and the Tree far-off distance to their max and it did nothing. :(

In the NGIO GrassControl.conf I put these settings, so they wouldn't overewrite the Skyrim ini settings.

Here's my NGIO GrassControl.conf

########################################################################################################################
#   Ray cast enabled                                                                                                   #
#                                                                                                                      #
# Use ray casting to detect where grass shouldn't grow (inside rocks or roads).                                        #
#                                                                                                                      #
#    Type: (boolean)                                                                                                   #
########################################################################################################################
	RayCast = True
#   Ray cast height                                                                                                    #
# The distance above grass that must be free. 200 is slightly more than player height.                                 #
#    Type: (float)                                                                                                     #
	RayCastHeight = 150
#   Ray cast depth                                                                                                     #
# The distance below grass that must be free.                                                                          #
#    Type: (float)                                                                                                     #
	RayCastDepth = 5
#   Ray cast collision layers                                                                                          #
# Which collision layers to check when raycasting. Not recommended to change unless you know what you're doing. These  #
# are collision layer index from CK separated by space.                                                                #
#    Type: (string)                                                                                                    #
	RayCastCollisionLayers = "1 2 13 20 31"
#   Ray cast ignore forms                                                                                              #
# Which objects will raycast ignore. This can be useful if you want grass to still grow from some objects (such as     #
# roads). The format is formid:formfile separated by ; for example "1812A:Skyrim.esm;1812D:Skyrim.esm" would add       #
# RoadChunkL01 and RoadChunkL02 forms to ignore list. Base forms go here not object references!                        #
#    Type: (string)                                                                                                    #
	RayCastIgnoreForms = ""
#   Super dense grass                                                                                                  #
# Enable much more grass without having to change mod files.                                                           #
#    Type: (boolean)                                                                                                   #
	SuperDenseGrass = False
#   Super dense mode                                                                                                   #
# How the super dense mode is achieved. Not recommended to change for normal play. This does nothing unless you enable #
# SuperDenseGrass setting. 7 is normal game (meaning nothing is actually changed), 6 or less would be much less grass, #
# 8 is dense, 9 is ?, 10+ is probably crash city.                                                                      #
#    Type: (int32)                                                                                                     #
	SuperDenseMode = 8
#   Profiler report                                                                                                    #
# Whether to track how much time is taken to generate grass. Whenever you open console the result is reported. Try     #
# disabling all settings except profiler, go to game and in main menu 'coc riverwood', after loading open console to   #
# see normal game time. Then enable settings and check again how it changed. Remember to coc from main menu instead of #
# loading save because it might not be accurate otherwise.                                                             #
	ProfilerReport = False
#   Use grass cache                                                                                                    #
# This will generate cache files in /Data/Grass/ and use those when we have them. Any time you change anything with    #
# your mod setup you must delete the contents of that directory so new cache can be generated or you will have bugs    #
# like floating grass or still grass in objects (that were changed by mods).                                           #
	UseGrassCache = True
#   Extend grass distance                                                                                              #
# Set true if you want to enable extended grass distance mode. This will allow grass to appear outside of loaded       #
# cells. Relevant ini settings:                                                                                        #
# SkyrimPrefs.ini [Grass] fGrassStartFadeDistance                                                                      #
	ExtendGrassDistance = True
#   Extend grass count                                                                                                 #
# Allow more grass to be made in total. This is needed if you use very dense grass or have large draw distance.        #
# Otherwise it will reach a limit and just stop making grass leaving weird empty squares.                              #
	ExtendGrassCount = True
#   Ensure max grass types setting                                                                                     #
# Makes sure that the max grass types per texture setting is set to at least this much. Can be useful to make sure     #
# your INI isn't being overwritten by anything. Most grass replacer mods require this. Set 0 to disable any            #
# verification.                                                                                                        #
#    Type: (int32)                                                                                                     #
	EnsureMaxGrassTypesPerTextureSetting = 15
#   Overwrite grass distance                                                                                           #
# Overwrite fGrassStartFadeDistance from any INI. If this is zero or higher then the grass distance will always be     #
# taken from this configuration instead of any INI. This can be useful if you have a million things overwriting your   #
# INI files and don't know what to edit, so you can just set it here. For example 7000 is vanilla highest in-game      #
# grass slider. If you want to set higher you need to enable ExtendGrassDistance setting as well or it will not look   #
# right in-game. What the setting actually means is that grass will start to fade out at this distance. Actual total   #
# grass distance is this value + fade range value.                                                                     #
	OverwriteGrassDistance = False
#   Overwrite grass fade range                                                                                         #
# Overwrite fGrassFadeRange from any INI. If this is zero or higher then the grass fade range will always be taken     #
# from this configuration instead of any INI. This determines the distance it takes for grass to completely fade out   #
# starting from OverwriteGrassDistance (or fGrassStartFadeDistance if you didn't use the overwrite). If you want the   #
# grass fade out to not be so sudden then increase this value. Probably recommended to keep this at least half of the  #
# other setting.                                                                                                       #
	OverwriteGrassFadeRange = False
#   Overwrite min grass size                                                                                           #
# Overwrite iMinGrassSize from any INI. If this is zero or higher then the grass density setting (iMinGrassSize) will  #
# be taken from here instead of INI files. Lower values means more dense grass. 50 or 60 is normal mode with somewhat  #
# sparse grass (good performance). Lowering the value increases density! 20 is very high density. You should probably  #
# not set lower than 20 if you decide to change it. The grass form density setting itself still mostly controls the    #
# actual density of grass, think of iMinGrassSize more of as a cap for that setting.                                   #
	OverwriteMinGrassSize = False
#   Global grass scale                                                                                                 #
# Apply this scale to every piece of grass everywhere. For example 0.5 makes all grass pieces half the size it should  #
# be.                                                                                                                  #
	GlobalGrassScale = 1.15
#   Only load from cache                                                                                               #
# This will change how grass works. It means grass can only ever be loaded from files and not generated during play.   #
	OnlyLoadFromCache = True
#   Skip pregenerate world spaces                                                                                      #
# When pre-generating grass then skip worldspaces with this editor IDs. This can greatly speed up generating if we     #
# know the worldspace will not need grass at all.                                                                      #
	SkipPregenerateWorldSpaces = "DLC2ApocryphaWorld;DLC01Boneyard;WindhelmPitWorldspace"
#   Only pregenerate world spaces                                                                                      #
# If this is not empty then skip every worldspace that isn't in this list.                                             #
	OnlyPregenerateWorldSpaces = "aaaWereBalokDungeonWorld;AlftandWorld;Blackreach;BlindCliffCaveWorld;BloatedMansGrottoWorld;BluePalaceWingWorld;BrinewaterGrottoWorld;DarkwaterWorld;DeepwoodRedoubtWorld;Dimfrost;DLC01Boneyard;DLC01FalmerValley;DLC01SoulCairn;DLC1AncestorsGladeWorld;DLC1DarkfallPassageWorld;DLC1ForebearsHoldout;DLC1HunterHQWorld;DLC1VampireCastleCourtyard;DLC2SolstheimWorld;EastEmpireWarehouse;EldergleamSanctuaryWorld;FallowstoneCaveWorldEnd;FallowstoneCaveWorldStart;Falskaar;FalskaarStargazerGroveWorld;FrostmereCryptWorld;JaphetsFollyWorld;KarthspireRedoubtWorld;KatariahWorld;LabyrinthianWorld;LabyrinthianWorld03;LabyrinthianWorld04;MarkarthWorld;MossMotherCavernWorld;RedEagleRedoubtWorld;RiftenWorld;ShadowgreenCavernWorld;SkuldafnWorld;SolitudeWorld;SouthfringeWorld;Sovngarde;Tamriel;WhiterunDragonsreachWorld;WhiterunWorld;WindhelmPitWorldspace;WindhelmWorld;WyrmstoothWorld
"
#   DynDOLOD Grass Mode                                                                                                #
# Enable grass compatibility mode with DynDOLOD Grass LODs. Valid values:                                              #
# 0 = Disabled                                                                                                         #
# 1 = Display grass only in active cells (without fade) and let DynDOLOD handle inactive cell Grass                    #
# 2 = Display grass only in active cells and large ref loaded cells (without fade) and let DynDOLOD handle grass       #
# outside of large ref cells                                                                                           #
	DynDOLODGrassMode = 1

Edited by mooit

41 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

You need grass LODs. Currently you do not have any. Use your grass cache to generate Grass LOD.

I did make grass cache, I have them, DynDOLOD also showed the Grass option available and not grayed out too. 

I also right clicked overwrite in MO2 and created a mod called Grass Cache.

grass.thumb.jpg.6c2b045d969e8b0bb5ccad7dd3bdb339.jpg

MO2.thumb.jpg.511c609677c38b8aa90e7b4e4aaa69c7.jpg

Edited by mooit

42 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Then you haven't installed or ran DynDOLOD correctly, because they simply are not there.

Grass Cache does not equal Grass LODs.

I didn't say Grass Cache equaled LODs I was only replying to when you said for me to generate grass cache and I was showing you I did.

Here's a screen shot of MO2 with it installed, with the Resources, along with XLODGen and TexGen, and a screen shot showing the inside of the DynDOLOD archive.

DynDOLOD3.thumb.jpg.d64ce62af304b95e6a35d1446c59e386.jpg

DynDOLOD3_archive.thumb.jpg.4b97e8dc22008b9bbaa267222eb9afbf.jpg

Where would I find the grass lod inside the DynDOLOD archive so I can look to see if they are there? I don't understand why DynDOLOD would show me the grass lod option, if it then didn't create them.... hmm

THANKS

Edited by mooit

Hmm ok, maybe I found the problem?

The Grass Cache guide says only this;

1. The grass cache should have been generated within Overwrite. Right-click on Overwrite and select Create Mod....
  2. Name it "Grass Cache - cgid" or something similar and click OK.

The No Grass LOD Check List says;

'Check in the mod manager that there are ..\Data\Grass\[Worldspace]*.CGID grass cache files for the worldspace in the load order'

When I right clicked in MO2 on Overwrite and selected Create Mod, it didn't create the mod with a /Data directory, it only placed the grass folder in it.

GrassMod.thumb.jpg.b31a9bc08faf1377f1bd2cb85cc1ddd1.jpg

So I didn't see any mention in the Guide(s) on stepmodifications about needing the /Data directory.

I guess this is the problem and I need to go create it manually, add in the /Data

THANKS

Edited by mooit

Ok, here is the Grass Cache mod, I added in 'data';

grass.thumb.jpg.d632e9fe63b157bed08b7b47d127503c.jpg

I'll rerun DynDOLOD and the others over.

By the way, the Guide says to right click overwrite, to create the mod, but in MO2 people might have a lot of other directories in there, and they get added in with the grass cache, so you need to move everything out before doing this. Someone should add that info to the guide.

Also adding into the guide when right clicking overwrite to create the grass mod, before doing this, to create a data directory and place grass under it.

THANKS

Edited by mooit

This is incorrect. You had it right. Your grass cache was fine. Your LODs are somehow wrong.

I see now that when you showed your generated DynDOLOD, you opened the file in 7-zip to prove to me you did it right. You didn't happen to simply forget to install the archive in Mod Organizer by any chance???

33 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

This is incorrect. You had it right. Your grass cache was fine. Your LODs are somehow wrong.

I see now that when you showed your generated DynDOLOD, you opened the file in 7-zip to prove to me you did it right. You didn't happen to simply forget to install the archive in Mod Organizer by any chance???

4th screen shot up is MO2 with xLODGen, TexGen, DynDOLOD installed.

By the way, the TexGen archive is 72mb big, not sure if this size is normal?

I think I might of found the problem if I don't need a /Data directory for the grass cache.

Here it mentions Veydosebrom Regions.esp in TexGen_SSE_log;

Veydosebrom Regions.esp VEY_HIGHLAND_LReachMoss01_Flower03 [GRAS:2452D5C6]
[00:19]     Creating billboard C:\DynDOLOD3\TexGen_Output\textures\terrain\lodgen\veydosebrom regions.esp\marshgrass02_003b1a42 with Meshes\landscape\grass\marshgrass02.nif Veydosebrom Regions.esp VEY_MARSH_LFrozenMarshLichen01NoGrass_Grass02 [GRAS:243B1A42]

I used Veydosebrom before, but I uninstalled it from MO2, so I don't get how/why this is happening.

Looking through the TexGen_SSE_log it says it's loading resources for a lot of mods I uninstalled. I'll delete the DynDOLOD directory and install it back and start it all clean over and see what it does...

Hmm 

P.S. Noticed this in the logs [00:00] Background Loader: Warning: <Can't find Skyrim - Patch.bsa>

Skyrim - Patch.bsa is for SE, not AE correct?

Seems like deleting dyndolod and putting it back fresh cleaned this out from loading old resources, which I still don't get, and I did check the timestamp of the log file, it was generated after running.

Edited by mooit