At Your Own Pace (by agd25)

D1Z4STR

This also affects Thieves Guild Requirements and I think it may effect Timing is Everything.

In theory we could replace Not So Fast - Main Quest, Not So Fast - Mage Guide and Thieves Guild Requirements with this mod and gain the changes to the Dark Brotherhood and Bards College in the bargain.

Yes the Thieves Guild part would not be compatible with Thieves Guild Requirements. The good thing about At Your Own Pace is that it is modular. Regarding Timing is Everything there are no conflicts.

AYOP - Misc has a 2 minor dialogue topic conflicts with The Choice is Yours and I would let The Choice is Yours win

I recommend AYOP - Main Quest, Misc and College of Winterhold. 50/50 on AYOP - Thieves Guild or Thieves Guild Reqs.

I don't like how this is set up. You have to speak to someone to progress without any clue as to who that is. For a new player without any knowledge of the game, how are they suppose to know who to talk to? Players could potentially run around the game lost on what to do. I know the Not So Fast mods do some of this on some quests and I also know we've had a few issues with it (particular around the Mage questline). However, this entire mod is set up like this, which I think would cause too many lost players for those newer to the game. At the very least, it needs a courier with a letter or some sort of clue as to how to progress the story.

There are other issues here. Like simply talking to Brynjolf will start the quest. Well...until the quest is started his just a "merchant" so a lot of players will still talk to him and, thus, unknowingly start the quest. Thieves Guild Requirements is also far more rounded out.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

I think we should revisit this as a replacement for the "Not So Fast" mods now that this one is modular.

I agree. Do you want to suggest the files to test once you have had an opportunity to look? I can take a stab at it if not.

6 hours ago, z929669 said:

I agree. Do you want to suggest the files to test once you have had an opportunity to look? I can take a stab at it if not.

I was just thinking the Main and College Quest files. Thieves Guide is covered by Thieves Guide Requirements, which is already perfect. I've never played Companions or Dark Brotherhood so I can't really comment on those.

Edit:
Also will need to be aware of anything that The Choice is Yours might be covering or doing, as well as, Timing is Everything.

I don't remember having any issues with the timing of the Dark Brotherhood quest line, and it's been too long since I joined Companions. Just a thought but we could consider making Companions and Dark Brotherhood optional if there are no conflicts. I agree that Thieves Guild Requirements covers the Thieves Guild really well.

I was never a fan of Not So Fast (can't remember why though), so I never installed it. At Your Own Pace seems to be easier to setup, since it allows customization. But then again, I don't remember how Not So Fast works and if it is configurable or not.

At any rate, since I am starting a new play through, I will install this and see how it works for me. I will be using the Main, Misc, Collage, Dark Brotherhood and Companions versions, since Thieves Guild is dealt with by TGR. If I run into any peculiarities I will report back.

EDIT: I remembered why I never used Not So Fast: the unintuitive and weird setup. AYOP seems easier to setup with the MCMs

Edited by ButchDiavolo

The Dark Brotherhood is well paced and does a pretty great job unaltered. There are not many mods I have seen for the questline for timing/delaying. It really does not need much improving. This same author has a mod that gives you more to do when the quest is done which is fun. I would have to try out the "lawful good" options added in. They seem kind of awkward/forced.

The companions pacing is horrendous. The entire questline is silly quick as you do not need to do many side quests. Side quests are not well balanced either as you can get quests for hard enemies early on. I like the changes this mod makes there. 6 radiant quests between main quests are nice. Any improvements to the Companions are needed.

I do agree that Thieves Guild Requirements is great. I would not consider it perfect. At Your Own Pace seems to go after the worst part of the questline for me. The tedious radiant quest system. With this mod you do not have to do continuous travel between cities due to the two jobs cap. I know there is fast travel, but I don't use it lol. Another great addition is removing the randomness of waiting for the right city job. Very good. 

I am also a fan of replacing the "not so fast" mods with this one. I would include the companions as well since nothing in STEP alters it. 

Some conflicts:

Companions- Conflict with the text in Better Quest Objectives for the quest "Take Up Arms"

Main Quest- With Better Quest Objectives for "A Blade in the Dark". None with A Choice is Yours. Minor with USSEP

College- No conflicts with A Choice is yours. Maybe 1/2 with CRF/USSEP.

• 2 weeks later...

Thieves Guild Requirements now has an optional file that updates the mod Thieves Guild Alternate Routes - Taking Care of Business Mod at Skyrim Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com). Kryptopyr's updated version is listed as an optional file while being integrated into his MCM.

The mod fixes/gives options for altering the radiant quest issues I described. Mainly > Focus the Thieves' Guild radiant jobs in a single city. The alternate options seem fine. Mainly it lets you be more of a benevolent thief type. 

Edited by Eliian
  • Thanks 1

After testing this for a while in my (limited) playthrough, I must say this is a vast improvement over Not So Fast. Especially the Main Quest is great. It just stops after each step, but leaves a clue in the journal of where to pick it back up when you are ready.

So I would vote to use this over Not So Fast.

• Thanks 1