At Your Own Pace (by agd25)

D1Z4STR

1 hour ago, LittleGuy said:

Could this mod be safety skipped?, it just seems odd to me that this mod would exist since the base game is pretty good at being able to avoid main quests.

Also the only quest delaying mod that I'd want to use is Thieves Guild Requirements SE, could I skip the other mods as well? (The Choice is Yours, Timing is Everything SE are the other mods I'm talking about)

Look at the mod tables. Those required by the patches are flagged.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@z929669@DoubleYou@Greg
After having the time to play through the first few stages of the main quest, I wish to redact my suggestion for the inclusion for at least the Main Quest file. I prefer Not So Fast as the way AYOP is set up isn't as seamless and fluid vs NSF.

One example of this is getting the quests for Dragon Rising. In NSF, the player simply has a pause at specific points in this quest (configurable). The length of time makes sense for the time it would take for another dragon to show up, research to be completed, etc. (configurable). It felt fairly natural for a courier to show up or a message to appear as a reminder to check on the progress. However, AYOP handles this by just stopping the quest until you go and talk to the wizard in Dragonsreach, which one can do immediately. The flow of the quest conversation is choppy, as is the flow of the quest itself. At one point you can see the Jarl jumping out of his chair and running to his marker as soon as you finish talking to the wizard. Then all of a sudden there is a meeting where the Jarl just very oddly ran off to. It was comical, at least! :laugh: None of this is an issue with NSF.

The main difference between these two mods is the method of delivery and configuring. I'm more inclined to lean towards quality of delivery vs ease of setup. I haven't tested the other files, but I'd like to reconsider the Main Quest option being reverted back to Not So Fast.

10 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

@z929669@DoubleYou@Greg
After having the time to play through the first few stages of the main quest, I wish to redact my suggestion for the inclusion for at least the Main Quest file. I prefer Not So Fast as the way AYOP is set up isn't as seamless and fluid vs NSF.

One example of this is getting the quests for Dragon Rising. In NSF, the player simply has a pause at specific points in this quest (configurable). The length of time makes sense for the time it would take for another dragon to so up, research to be completed, etc. (configurable). It felt fairly natural for a courier to show up or a message to appear as a reminder to check on the progress. However, AYOP handles this by just stopping the quest until you go and talk to the wizard in Dragonsreach, which one can do immediately. The flow of the quest conversation is choppy, as is the flow of the quest itself. At one point you can see the Jarl jumping out of his chair and running to his marker as soon as you finish talking to the wizard. Then all of a sudden there is a meeting where the Jarl just very oddly ran off to. It was comical, at least! :laugh: None of this is an issue with NSF.

The main difference between these two mods is the method of delivery and configuring. I'm more inclined to lean towards quality of delivery vs ease of setup. I haven't tested the other files, but I'd like to reconsider the Main Quest option being reverted back to Not So Fast.

I'm surprised nobody noticed this previously. I'll test when able to see what I see. Sounds like this mod's intended behavior though, and I agree that one should not be able to invoke the quest too early, and reminders via messenger are preferred if it is not invoked until later.

This makes me question the other AYOP modifications.

EDIT: There are several relatively recent bug reports on this mod having to do with quests being stuck, and there's been little to no resolution of these.

I had noticed this behaviour and personally I prefer it. The way it is set up, you can pick the main quest back up when/if you want, by following the hint in the quest journal. If you want to speed it along, you can. If you don't, you can as well.

The example Tech provided, to me at least, seemed logical. If you progress the quest immediately, Ireleth will come barging in screaming about dragons. Whether or not there is a meeting going on, the jarl would run up to his "strategy room" immediately I would think.

But... this highly personal I think. I haven't noticed any jarring events with the other AYOP modifications (so far) either. The game just smoothly coasts along.

21 minutes ago, ButchDiavolo said:

I had noticed this behaviour and personally I prefer it. The way it is set up, you can pick the main quest back up when/if you want, by following the hint in the quest journal. If you want to speed it along, you can. If you don't, you can as well.

The example Tech provided, to me at least, seemed logical. If you progress the quest immediately, Ireleth will come barging in screaming about dragons. Whether or not there is a meeting going on, the jarl would run up to his "strategy room" immediately I would think.

But... this highly personal I think. I haven't noticed any jarring events with the other AYOP modifications (so far) either. The game just smoothly coasts along.

Tech is also testing the 2.2.0 build with remastered patches, so there could be some differences here and there relating to NPC behaviors.

The other thing to consider is how this plays for someone that has little to no XP with the affected quests: They might not think to revisit the quest through the journal or even know that a quest is important to game progression. Reminders via missive every now and again ensures nothing falls through the cracks.

2 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

The point is, you can do the same things with NSF: pick it up when/if you want, follow the quest via hints/journal, speed it up, etc. I originally voted for this mod because it appeared to be providing a 1:1 exchange with NSF with the added benefit of a MCM. After playing it, that is not the case. NSF was smoother, imo.

The scene is completely nonsensical, imo. The Jarl wouldn't just take off running to his strategy room. He'd stand there and listen if she came busting in like she does. It's rather comical to watch from my point of view, but doesn't make any lick of sense how it goes down. The Jarl looks like a scared little puppy running from the sudden burst of commotion. :laugh: These are different points of view from different people on that scene. I didn't care for it at all besides for a laugh.

The conversation with the wizard was also cropped together from other audio files, that's what it sounds like anyway as it is very, very choppy. Note that could be a vanilla, line, though. I just really noticed it with this mod because it's the first line said upon a return and it doesn't really make for a flowing conversation, which is why I originally said it was choppy.

Given the ambiguity of the main quest with this mod (mostly impacts new users) and strangeness reported in Dragon Rising, I vote to drop this piece of AYOP and reverting back to NSF - Main Quest.

I set that up in my build, and everything works well in my testing, but I don't have any NSF MCM as far as I can tell.

16 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Given the ambiguity of the main quest with this mod (mostly impacts new users) and strangeness reported in Dragon Rising, I vote to drop this piece of AYOP and reverting back to NSF - Main Quest.

I set that up in my build, and everything works well in my testing, but I don't have any NSF MCM as far as I can tell.

There are no MCM as far as i know. (there is in LE version)

CONFIGURATION OPTIONS

Since SKSE and SkyUI are not available for Skyrim Special Edition
configuration of this mod must be done via the console or by 
activating a special container. The configuration container is 
embedded in wall outside the main Whiterun gates.

IN-GAME CONFIGURATION CONTAINER

The special configuration container is a silver urn mostly hidden
in the wall outside of the Whiterun gates. To find it turn left 
just before entering the Whiterun gates then walk into the small 
alcove just to the left of (and under) the stairs that lead up to 
the battlements. The silvery disk of the configuration urn is in 
the wall inside that alcove under the stairs and you'll have to 
look up slightly to reach it. I tried to put it in a space that 
wouldn't be too obvious and annoying but also to be somewhere you 
could reach.

A set of message boxes will show the current configuration
and allow you to make changes. They aren't pretty but blame
Bethesda for not allowing formatting in message boxes.

• Thanks 1