z929669

Discussion topic:

Embers XD by mindflux

Wiki Link

NOTE: Embers XD is ENB compatible but performs nicely without ENB.

Campfires: Inferno + Embers HD (Step) > Embers XD (orange/red flames)

Campfire no ENB - Inferno Fire Effects + Embers HD (Step).jpgCampfire no ENB - Embers XD.jpg

Sconces: Inferno + Embers HD (Step) > Embers XD (orange/red flames)

Sconce no ENB - Inferno Fire Effects + Embers HD (Step).jpgSconce no ENB - Embers XD.jpg

Torches: Ultimate HD Torch (Step) > Inferno + Embers HD > Embers XD (orange/red flames)

Torch no ENB - Ultimate HD Torch (Step) .jpgTorch no ENB - Inferno Fire Effects + Embers HD.jpgTorch no ENB - EmbersXD Torch.jpg

NOTE: Torch flames for Ultimate HD Torch and Inferno + Embers HD lick very fast. Embers XD flames lick more slowly and behave more realistically.

Forge: Inferno + Embers HD (Step) > Embers XD (orange/red flames)

Forge no ENB - Inferno Fire Effects + Embers HD (Step).jpgForge no ENB - Embers XD.jpg

NOTE: FPS gain with Embers XD ... need someone to confirm.

This mod is just better than Embers HD, IMHO. I also think the flames are better than Inferno in all cases.

EDIT: Just noticed that the candle flames in the campfire shots are also better for Embers XD (less aura). Not positive that candles are impacted though. Could it be the brightness of the Embers XD flames wash out the aura?

I think you may be right that Embers XD may be providing the flame for the candles. I see the plugin adds an MPSCandleFlame02 addon node using the mps/mpscandleflame02.nif mesh and it has an mpscandleflame01.nif mesh that overrides the one in Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB.

I just installed it with all options selected for testing.

You are leaving Inferno enabled after installing Embers XD right? Your "Campfires: Inferno + Embers HD (Step) > Embers XD (orange flames)" make me think you were disabling Inferno since Inferno is overriding some stuff in Embers HD/XD.

7 hours ago, Greg said:

You are leaving Inferno enabled after installing Embers XD right? Your "Campfires: Inferno + Embers HD (Step) > Embers XD (orange flames)" make me think you were disabling Inferno since Inferno is overriding some stuff in Embers HD/XD.

No, Inferno is disabled in the Embers XD shots. Inferno produces the flames in Step, and the coals are from Embers HD. This is the case for campfires and sconces, IIRC. I think both the flames and the coals in Embers XD are better.

You can certainly try overwriting the Embers XD flames and add those shots to the OP. I noted that I preferred the Embers XD flames in all cases though, so I didn't bother.

The forge is probably only Embers HD vs Embers XD. Unless Inferno adds some of the particles, but I don't think that's the case, since smoke is absent from the Step campfire and present with Embers XD.

I clarified in the OP

I need to do some comparisons, but I caught this at odd glow at the Orphan's Tear shipwreck. This is with Embers XD installed using the EmbersHD.esp, EmbersHD and Infero both disabled, and New Thinner Torch enabled. The torch is on the outer door frame and a candle holder is inside on the floor next to the steps to the lower (sunken) level. The glow disappears once I enter the room so it appears to be coming from the torch (see the screenshot of the candle inside the room below).

ScreenShot0.png ScreenShot1.png

ScreenShot2.png

@Greg

Hmmm. Are you running an ENB? This is what I show with Embers XD (Inferno disabled) over Step SE 1.0.0 with/wo Ultimate HD Torch and New Thinner Torch:

Skyrim Special Edition 5_2_2021 10_09_08 PM.jpgSkyrim Special Edition 5_2_2021 10_11_35 PM.jpg

I think the particle aura you are showing is from the candle somehow, because it doesn't appear outside at all.

No, I'm not using an ENB although for some reason that escape me I did have ENBseries installed. I removed the ENBseries files and used BethINI to verify my ini files are all correct. I also found Cathedral Weathers had Interior Lighting set to Normal. This was probably my fault for setting it before I generated LOD and forgot to change it again after I generated LOD and started a new game. I also reinstalled EmbersXD fresh with these steps to ensure I have everything installed correctly:

Install EmbersXD Lite main file:

• Effect Quality: High Quality
  • Customization: Embers XD Flames (Yellow/Orange)
  • Plugin Format: ESP (EmbersHD.,esp)
  • Install Fire Magick Add-On: checked
  • Install Forges Add-On: checked
  • Install Torches Add-On: checked
  • Install Lava Craters Add-On: checked
  • Compatibility Patches: select none

Select Replace to install Embers XD as a "new" mod.

Install Embers XD Lite Beta:

• Effect Quality: High Quality
  • Customization: Embers XD Flames (Yellow/Orange)
  • Plugin Format: ESP (EmbersXD.,esp)
  • Install Fire Magick Add-On: checked
  • Install Forges Add-On: checked
  • Install Torches Add-On: checked
  • Install Lava Craters Add-On: checked
  • Compatibility Patches: select none

Select Merge to update the existing Embers XD mod.

Move EmbersXD.esp to Optional ESPs so only EmbersHD.esp is used.

Deactivate the Embers HD mod in the left pane.

Deactivate the Inferno - Fire Effects Redux mod in the left pane.

Deactivate the New Thinner Torch - Ultimate HD Torch mod in the left pane. I doubt this matters since this is RemovableTorch01.nif that is not provided by New Thinner Torch.

I also tried the Orange/Red flame color with the same effect, but the FOMOD notes that Orange/Red requires a very specific ENB to have the right colors so I'm assuming you mean "yellow/orange" in your instructions.

Your screenshots look perfect, but it looks as if torch has a ball of light surrounding it as shown in this shot from the side where the ball stands out fairly well. I also took a screenshot from inside the cabin that shows the aura in the door.  The lighting overall is significantly better after I corrected the issues above, but something in my setup seems to be off.

ScreenShot7.png

ScreenShot6.png

Your install is exactly like mine by your description ... except yes, I did mean "orange/red" (clarified in the OP). But that is not the reason for the aura, I'm nearly positive.

It's very curious that you have that aura/particle effect without an ENB, but at least the interior looks correct now in those shots. Your wood textures also appear to be smoother and more blended that I am getting (strict Step 1.0.0 on my side but for mods under testing right now).

Time to call on @DoubleYou or Tech to speculate on the particle aura and what may be the cause. I have to think it's an INI setting in the game or a mod, but I suppose it could also be a driver-soft setting (I use no driver-soft settings like AF or surface format optimization or other DX9-type settings for Skyrim).

image.png

Thanks for taking the time to post all the detail.

@z929669 has image sharpening enabled, which is probably why Greg's textures look smoother. As for the Particles, I'd check both of your iMaxDesired settings and your installation of the Particle Patch for ENB. 

I don't know if weather couldn't affect this, so maybe both of you should fw 81a to test that out. 

4 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

@z929669 has image sharpening enabled, which is probably why Greg's textures look smoother. As for the Particles, I'd check both of your iMaxDesired settings and your installation of the Particle Patch for ENB. 

I don't know if weather couldn't affect this, so maybe both of you should fw 81a to test that out. 

My weather is default clear if that is what fw 81a is (I use weather maker)

the image sharpening doesn't have much noticeable impact on my system in Skyrim, so that's probably not the reason.

The Particle Patch for ENB idea is interesting, but I still wouldn't expect the aura without post processing of some kind, be it ENB or driver-soft settings. I have it installed per Step guide instructions.

iMaxDesired=6000 for me

@Greg's second set looks to have erased the ENB-like texture effects and the interior lighting effect.

I took that second set of screenshots after I removed ENBSeries, so I was getting some of the default ENB effects by mistake. I think I installed ENBSeries right after the Skyrim SE release and promptly forgot about it since I'm so used to seeing the initial message it didn't trigger my memory to remove it. Bah! Habits...

I am using an NVidia video card with these rudimentary settings:

• Image Sharpening: Sharpening off, Scaling disabled
  • Ambient Occlusion: Off
  • Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled
  • Antialiasing - FXAA: Off
  • Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
  • Antialiasing - Mode: Application-controlled
  • Antialiasing - Setting: Application-controlled
  • Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
  • CUDA - GPUs: All
  • DSR - Factors: Off
  • DSR - Smoothness: Off
  • Low Latency Mode: Off
  • Max Frame Rate: Off
  • Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): Off
  • OpenGL rendering GPU: Auto-select
  • Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
  • Shader Cache: On
  • Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off
  • Texture filtering: Negative LOD bias:Allow
  • Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
  • Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
  • Threaded optimization: Auto
  • Triple buffering: Off
  • Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting
  • Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1
  • Virtual Reality: Variable Rate Super Sampling: Off

Not really much there aside from gamma correction and trilinear filtering. i also reinstalled Particle Patch for ENB and started a new game just in case something is baked into the save, but I'm still seeing the aura around that torch. I do not see an aura around the torch in the AS:LAL start room, but this is a completely different torch. I also checked a few other locations that use this torch (Broken Oar Grotto, Broken Fang Cave, Pinewatch) and I do not see the aura on the removable torches in these locations although these are all interiors.

SkyrimPrefs.ini Skyrim.ini

@Greg Agree. The only things that could be causing the aura are the game INI settings or more likely the Texture Filtering in the display-soft settings. Maybe try turning them all off if possible to see if the aura disappears.

Otherwise, I'm stumped.