z929669

And we have a new and HOT version on Nexus. :)

Version 2.4.9
* An Embers XD style makeover to hanging oil trap.
* Fixed glitches with forges when using Mathy's 3D Blacksmith.
* Lakeside Manor fireplace no longer emits smoke.
* Flames on NPCs are no longer buggy when Fire Magick Add-On is not installed.
(Fire Magick Add-On now requires a small ESL plugin.)
* Added a patch for Mathy's Skyrim 3D Cooking.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.5 released on Nexus.

Version 2.5.0
* Improved Inferno option assets courtesy of agentw. Thanks for your continued efforts.
* Added a patch for Perseids Inns and Taverns - Realistic Room Rental Enhanced.
* Added an ash base to the small square fire pit seen in Windhelm and elsewhere.

I compared Ember HD and Ember XD and it's Ember HD that go for my game.

Ember HD was worked on for years while Ember XD is recent and has a lot of placement issues in the game.

Any way it's difficult to find an Ember Mod that fit perfectly to vanilla game style (without looking out of place).

5 hours ago, gamingsrc said:

I compared Ember HD and Ember XD and it's Ember HD that go for my game.

Ember HD was worked on for years while Ember XD is recent and has a lot of placement issues in the game.

Any way it's difficult to find an Ember Mod that fit perfectly to vanilla game style (without looking out of place).

I think XD has rounded the corner and is superior now, especially since it is ENB compatible out of the box. It works nicely for Step using the install instructions we recommend via the wiki link in the OP

I used HD for a while even after STEP went over to XD just bc it was in my opinion to "over the top" and unpolished. But during the last months i think, just like @z929669 , it has been improved and is now superior. In the FOMOD there is a page where you can "tone it down" a bit, i check all those boxes. I am still not that happy with the torches though, they are tricky to get right.

8 hours ago, Mercury71 said:

I used HD for a while even after STEP went over to XD just bc it was in my opinion to "over the top" and unpolished. But during the last months i think, just like @z929669 , it has been improved and is now superior. In the FOMOD there is a page where you can "tone it down" a bit, i check all those boxes. I am still not that happy with the torches though, they are tricky to get right.

I tick the middle three boxes on that FOMOD page, but I have ticked them all before. I suspect that ticking them all might be best, but I haven't gotten around to comparing the results for all fires for each of those settings.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm officially getting frustrated with this mod updating so frequently on Nexus. Another update this morning followed by yet another 'beta' update this afternoon, which means that this update will likely be posted later today or tomorrow.

With sooooo many tweaks needed, it's really obvious that the MA is not testing anything comprehensively before releasing. If relying on community feedback, it would be great to accumulate a list of fixes and constrain the updates to once a month or something. I think this mod has been updated nearly 50 times in the past 6 months. Geez.

That said, at least it's being maintained!

You do realize that you don't always have to be on the latest version....

The fact is that the more updates a mod receives, the more traction and popularity a mod gains. I have definitely noticed an uptick any time I have released an update. Part of this is it draws users back to the mod page, and they remember to endorse the mod. It also encourages users to comment or add bug reports. Also, the mod briefly gains front page status on the Updated tab on the Nexus. Just remember that such frequent updates are a blessing, as it means the author really enjoys their work.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

You do realize that you don't always have to be on the latest version....

The fact is that the more updates a mod receives, the more traction and popularity a mod gains. I have definitely noticed an uptick any time I have released an update. Part of this is it draws users back to the mod page, and they remember to endorse the mod. It also encourages users to comment or add bug reports. Also, the mod briefly gains front page status on the Updated tab on the Nexus. Just remember that such frequent updates are a blessing, as it means the author really enjoys their work.

Yep, I get it. This is why I finished my last post with a positive note about it being maintained. I tend to update every time just to keep abreast of changes. Still frustrating, but I do get it.

20 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

I don't update every time. If the changelog doesn't indication anything of importance, I'll skip it sometimes and wait for the next one. I do that for almost all mods.

I do it mostly to look for changes in the installation (FOMOD, file names, or otherwise) in order to keep our instructions up to date.

• 2 months later...

New "No Particle Torch" option.

• All shots have Embers XD installed.
  • The only difference is with/without the new option in the installer.
  • PT = Particle Torch

Step no ENB  >>  Step w/ENB w/PT  >>  Step w/ENB /no PT
Step SkyrimSE184.png Step SkyrimSE183.png Step SkyrimSE185.png

You can see the difference the particle light makes directly around the torch's location. The guard is lit up as well as everything around him. 

These are with Complex Grass turned on. The grass is lit with either option, but you're losing the lighting around the torches location.

Step w/ENB w/PT  >>  Step w/ENB /no PT
Step SkyrimSE187.png Step SkyrimSE186.png

16 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

New "No Particle Torch" option.

• All shots have Embers XD installed.
  • The only difference is with/without the new option in the installer.
  • PT = Particle Torch

Step no ENB  >>  Step w/ENB w/PT  >>  Step w/ENB /no PT
Step SkyrimSE184.png Step SkyrimSE183.png Step SkyrimSE185.png

You can see the difference the particle light makes directly around the torch's location. The guard is lit up as well as everything around him. 

These are with Complex Grass turned on. The grass is lit with either option, but you're losing the lighting around the torches location.

Step w/ENB w/PT  >>  Step w/ENB /no PT
Step SkyrimSE187.png Step SkyrimSE186.png

Looks to me like ENB needs point lighting from torch fire increased. Particle light values seem OK. Definitely need to use torch particles with our ENB, all else remaining equal.

I will test after dinner.