DoubleYou

2 hours ago, thantoasty_ said:

here's some VERY basic stuff i did. pc specs on profile.

ALMOST vanilla game -  no mods on mo2, but i have some things installed manually, like buffout, f4se, high fps fix etc. 60fps cap. no modded textures. no beth high res pack. 
i also disabled TAA, AO and fog in game to get a super sharp image. tested in/near boston since thats the absolute worst case for vram/ram usage. very dense area.

this is with vanilla upgrade/degrade.
~2450mb VRAM usage, 7gb system RAM usage.

6351262a50c8c3723577b23fed0d9186.png     iTextureDegradeDistance0=800 iTextureDegradeDistance1=1500 iTextureUpgradeDistance0=600 iTextureUpgradeDistance1=1200

-----------------------------------------------------
this is with DOUBLED upgrade/degrade from vanilla values.
~2900mb VRAM usage, 7gb system RAM usage.

47d9a2e9933cb22eaec982be9bc9bdc6.png     iTextureDegradeDistance0=1600 iTextureDegradeDistance1=3000 iTextureUpgradeDistance0=1200 iTextureUpgradeDistance1=2400

--------------------------------------------------------

this is with the BethINI High values for upgrade/degrade from 3.6
~4500mb VRAM usage, 7.4gb system RAM usage.

ae1138ee234f806663fd264c46d3c1e3.png     iTextureDegradeDistance0=6144 iTextureDegradeDistance1=102400 iTextureUpgradeDistance0=4096 iTextureUpgradeDistance1=8192

remember, this is with the vanilla textures. not very big at all, yet theres an IMMEDIATE 2gb vram increase over vanilla values after the first save load after booting the game with bethINI high preset values.
these screenshots are only @ 1080p so it makes it harder to see any visual changes. regardless, i see none. could be the area i chose, though.
at 1440p or 2160p, maybe you will see some visual improvement. but vram usage also increases at higher resolutions. 
these increases in vram will be more severe with modded textures. to what degree will depend on how many you have, and how big they are.

this is PURELY my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. i do not think upgrade/degrade values need to be increased from vanilla at all. 
but if you ABSOLUTELY must, just double them. i think thats good enough.

here's two more. i took these at 4k so its much easier to see now. you can zoom in much much further.

0124378d8b25790a24cfe036f9518665.png  386c7bc3bda6a46167836688d7cd5d57.png

left is vanilla upgrade/degrade        right is bethINI high upgrade/degrade

if you look very, very hard, you will be able to see that the window textures on the vanilla image look ever so slightly worse. thats all i can find though. genuinely. thats it.

Edited by thantoasty_

3 hours ago, thantoasty_ said:

here's some VERY basic stuff i did. pc specs on profile.

ALMOST vanilla game -  no mods on mo2, but i have some things installed manually, like buffout, f4se, high fps fix etc. 60fps cap. no modded textures. no beth high res pack. 
i also disabled TAA, AO and fog in game to get a super sharp image. tested in/near boston since thats the absolute worst case for vram/ram usage. very dense area.

this is with vanilla upgrade/degrade.
~2450mb VRAM usage, 7gb system RAM usage.

6351262a50c8c3723577b23fed0d9186.png     iTextureDegradeDistance0=800 iTextureDegradeDistance1=1500 iTextureUpgradeDistance0=600 iTextureUpgradeDistance1=1200

-----------------------------------------------------
this is with DOUBLED upgrade/degrade from vanilla values.
~2900mb VRAM usage, 7gb system RAM usage.

47d9a2e9933cb22eaec982be9bc9bdc6.png     iTextureDegradeDistance0=1600 iTextureDegradeDistance1=3000 iTextureUpgradeDistance0=1200 iTextureUpgradeDistance1=2400

--------------------------------------------------------

this is with the BethINI High values for upgrade/degrade from 3.6
~4500mb VRAM usage, 7.4gb system RAM usage.

ae1138ee234f806663fd264c46d3c1e3.png     iTextureDegradeDistance0=6144 iTextureDegradeDistance1=102400 iTextureUpgradeDistance0=4096 iTextureUpgradeDistance1=8192

remember, this is with the vanilla textures. not very big at all, yet theres an IMMEDIATE 2gb vram increase over vanilla values after the first save load after booting the game with bethINI high preset values.
these screenshots are only @ 1080p so it makes it harder to see any visual changes. regardless, i see none. could be the area i chose, though.
at 1440p or 2160p, maybe you will see some visual improvement. but vram usage also increases at higher resolutions. 
these increases in vram will be more severe with modded textures. to what degree will depend on how many you have, and how big they are.

this is PURELY my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. i do not think upgrade/degrade values need to be increased from vanilla at all. 

The Comics/Hubris/Toys sign is the only upgraded texture that is easily visible. The main reason for increasing these settings is more to combat the issue of texture pop-in being very apparent at the default upgrade/degrade distances, and it may be that about double distance is all that is reasonable. Optimally we should be able to relate the texture upgrade/degrade distances in relation to the game cell unit visible so we can determine at what distance the upgrade/degrade occurs.

5 hours ago, thantoasty_ said:

Agree. I can see no diff in those screens. Probably same in game unless the normals are better and lighting is better at higher res

Having some difficult getting Fallout 4 to display at 1440p fullscreen on my 4k monitor. Every combination I try leads to tiny screens surrounded by black bars, oversized stretched screens, or failure to launch.

Edited by lordbarsdale

1 hour ago, lordbarsdale said:

Having some difficult getting Fallout 4 to display at 1440p fullscreen on my 4k monitor. Every combination I try leads to tiny screens surrounded by black bars, oversized stretched screens, or failure to launch.

You probably need to load in Fullscreen mode instead of borderless windowed mode. You might also try to utilize High FPS Physics Fix to enable BorderlessUpscale to possibly fix this issue in borderless windowed mode.

13 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

You probably need to load in Fullscreen mode instead of borderless windowed mode. You might also try to utilize High FPS Physics Fix to enable BorderlessUpscale to possibly fix this issue in borderless windowed mode.

@lordbarsdale what DoubleYou said. I have High FPS Physics Fix and downsampling from higher resolutions works fine, but i can definitely remember fallout/skyrim really really hating going above native res.

9 hours ago, thantoasty_ said:

@lordbarsdale what DoubleYou said. I have High FPS Physics Fix and downsampling from higher resolutions works fine, but i can definitely remember fallout/skyrim really really hating going above native res.

What settings do you have enabled in both your perfs.ini and High Fps Physics ini file?

image.png

What settings do you have enabled in both your perfs.ini and High Fps Physics ini file?

image.png

0aa3ae25bcf49426dbd4d00c7edb9cb3.png

linked the .ini for you to read over. dont just copy these settings over to your game though, its highly likely there are things you will want to tweak.

i play with 60fps cap despite the mod fixing high fps, and i dont actually play above native res too.. and though the game launches at above native res just fine, the mouse cursor is buggy and doesnt line up visually/is restricted to a small part of the screen. you might have to change your desktop resolution every time you wanna play fallout to get around this, which sounds SUPER annoying.

HighFPSPhysicsFix.ini

Ok. HighFPSPhysics worked for me. I can now play at 1440p. Thank you.

But now there is a new issue, that I believe i've isolated to BethINI, or some setting BethINI can change.

I think the screenshots speak for themselves, I have this odd pixel effect on all my textures, as if there was a pixel grain effect over all of them. I think it mainly applies to shadows.

This one shows the issue over the entire wall. This one is the most obvious and clear.

https://i.imgur.com/XveU4lB.jpg

This one shows it pretty hard on the vertical wall piece, Nora's neck, and the shadows of the chair

https://i.imgur.com/XoBnlna.jpg

Zoom in on Shawn

https://i.imgur.com/E41N1sr.jpg

This is a brand new install of Fallout 4, which I am tinkering with to get working with a few mods. But once this started. I nuked everything and reinstall the game from scratch. Then, I installed things one at a time to see what was causing it, since I don't get the issue in vanilla. Right now I have MO2, BethINI, and HighFPSPhysics installed. That's it.

Any help would be appreciated.

System Specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x
RTX 3090
64 Ggs of memory
2 TB m.2 Storage

2 hours ago, lordbarsdale said:

Ok. HighFPSPhysics worked for me. I can now play at 1440p. Thank you.

But now there is a new issue, that I believe i've isolated to BethINI, or some setting BethINI can change.

I think the screenshots speak for themselves, I have this odd pixel effect on all my textures, as if there was a pixel grain effect over all of them. I think it mainly applies to shadows.

This one shows the issue over the entire wall. This one is the most obvious and clear.

https://i.imgur.com/XveU4lB.jpg

This one shows it pretty hard on the vertical wall piece, Nora's neck, and the shadows of the chair

https://i.imgur.com/XoBnlna.jpg

Zoom in on Shawn

https://i.imgur.com/E41N1sr.jpg

This is a brand new install of Fallout 4, which I am tinkering with to get working with a few mods. But once this started. I nuked everything and reinstall the game from scratch. Then, I installed things one at a time to see what was causing it, since I don't get the issue in vanilla. Right now I have MO2, BethINI, and HighFPSPhysics installed. That's it.

Any help would be appreciated.

System Specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x
RTX 3090
64 Ggs of memory
2 TB m.2 Storage

4dbe904465f51d6013706b078715bf64.png

Change bBlurEnable to 1. This is a known issue from this latest version of BethINI.

Edited by thantoasty_
  • +1 1

Wow. 3 days of reinstalling everything and wasted time for a single line. **** me.

Thanks a lot everyone. You've helped me with 2 issues with two simple answers. So far, I'm able to get the game to run at a solid 144 fps at 1440p on my 4k monitor.

You should mention that issue on the mod page or the readme. Would have saved a lot of headache lol.

30 minutes ago, lordbarsdale said:

Wow. 3 days of reinstalling everything and wasted time for a single line. **** me.

Thanks a lot everyone. You've helped me with 2 issues with two simple answers. So far, I'm able to get the game to run at a solid 144 fps at 1440p on my 4k monitor.

You should mention that issue on the mod page or the readme. Would have saved a lot of headache lol.

It's a new issue that will be resolved in the next update.

How do I make the sure it never is changed by any other mod or preset. That's what the custom tab is for right?

Mods have the ability to overwrite some settings, but not this setting. As long as you set it here, and don't reselect a preset, it will be fine. 

• 1 month later...

I keep getting "[Combat]
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle was removed due to it being an invalid setting (not recognized by the game)." I am trying to put in the recommended setting for Arrows Bolts and Tweaks. I have searched around and the skyrim wiki seems to agree it is a real setting. Why is this getting removed?