Skyrim Special Edition Enhanced

As a member of the RS team, I beg to differ. You can CR RS fairly easily. The issues come when users don't know what has been done to the lighting in the cell. However, this is the case for any plugin when the user doesn't understand the changes being made so it's not unique to RS.

That's my point.. If you're installing mods making large changes to the cells that RS is touching then you have no way of knowing how the cell is going ot end up looking without loading it up in the CK... Lighting is extremely environment dependant.. not only for look and feel but also to avoid flickering meshes...  I'm not sure how that you could say different?  I'm specifically speaking about actual lights/shadow casters not the image spaces/coloring.

At any rate, resolving conflicts via a custom patch should be done at the end of mod installation, else you're likely to cause yourself a lot of extra work. Also, RS and ELE should be loaded near the end of the load order so that their changes don't have to be constantly be patched. This is how we do things for STEP.

I beg to differ... The proper way to do conflict resolution is to build out a full set of modgroups for your load order starting with just bethesda + unofficial patch then working through adding a mod + relevant patches at a time fixing conflicts and creating new modgroups as you go.

Edited by jdsmith2816

I beg to differ... The proper way to do conflict resolution is to build out a full set of modgroups for your load order starting with just bethesda + unofficial patch then working through adding a mod + relevant patches at a time fixing conflicts and creating new modgroups as you go.

no everyone knows how to use modgroups. Most users know to only filter for conflicts and drag and drop to a patch. So for them it is necessary to have all load order. But for advanced use of xedit yes i concur modgroups are much better.

Mod groups are fairly simple. I have a basic one for the official content that really everyone should have. Honestly, imo, that one should come standard with xEdit because there are few instances where you wouldn't want it. The point I was getting at is doing mods individually as they're installed leads to editing the same record multiple times rather than just once. This leads to a longer CR process. It just doesn't seem that is does because it's spread out over time. CRing the entire load order at once might seem like it would take longer, but this is only because you are doing it in one sitting vs over time. In truth, it simply comes down to preference. I prefer to sit down with a couple cups of coffee and knock it out all at once...call be a masochist, but that's the way I do it. ^_^

I'll also add to what Paul said above, filtering for mod conflicts will not catch all the forwards that should be made. I actually only use that filter for quick checks when testing a new mod or final checks to make sure I didn't miss anything obvious while adding to a patch.

We do have a xEdit Guide. It's not complete and it doesn't really teach you conflict resolution, but it's a start. Here's the link directly to the mod groups section: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:XEdit#Mod_Groups

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.