Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

I personally don't care if they change the Start Menu, or completely remove it. Launchy makes it irrelevant for me.

hmm, I may give that a look.

I think just about everyone is on the same page with the start menu, win 8's version just wasn't meant to be driven with a mouse.

I just cannot understand why is Microsoft trying so hysterically to force people away from what has been working THE BEST for like 15 to 25 years (Start menu and the entire interface). You're not even given a choice. Windows 8 is a failure and they are still adamant about forcing that shitty interface into our faces. It doesn't matter that NOONE with a PC uses a touchscreen and the amount of colourbrlind people is really, really low.

What pisses me off about Microsoft the most is how they simply know better what people want.

If Windows 10 turns out to be even half horrible as Windows 8 (+with a design meant for stoned, drunk and retarded at once), I'm sticking with Windows 7 despite any performance improvements and Dx12.

Their rationale I think is quite simple: all interfaces are to be uniform across the various platforms. Whether or not that interface works for everyone is secondary, first step is to bring everyone onto the same page.

I've been using Windows since MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 and no matter what they do there will still be someone that doesn't like it.

Now that phones/tablets/PCs are ubiquitous MS needs to play catch up with everyone else.

MS is playing catch up for sure. Mostly in the phone department, since a bunch of tablets use Windows. I had a sweet Nokia Lumia, but it had no third party development. Sure there was Twitter and Facebook integration that you could add to the people hub thing that was better than the offerings from Android and iOS, but outside of that I might have well owned a Blackberry, or worse a Linux phone.

I personally don't care if they change the Start Menu, or completely remove it. Launchy makes it irrelevant for me.

How is Launch significantly different from Windows Search?? Also, you need to remember the names of all of your programs/docs (or close to it), for these to be useful. I prefer a list (organized to my liking) as a reminder of all the crap I have installed on my OS.

That's why phone apps are now desktop compatible in Win10. Expanding the windows phone market by spurring 3rd party support with a bigger user base.

Who needs minesweeper when you have Candy Crush desktop edition, etc.

Why must our desktop OS behave and be formatted like a phone OS? That's why I will never use post Windows 7 on my conventional PCs. They are not dinky touch-screens!

That's why phone apps are now desktop compatible in Win10. Expanding the windows phone market by spurring 3rd party support with a bigger user base.

Who needs minesweeper when you have Candy Crush desktop edition, etc.

Isn't Windows Phone 10 supposed to be able to run iOS and Android apps as well? If you can't get devs to make compatible software for your platform, just make all software compatible for your platform type of thing.

Why must our desktop OS behave and be formatted like a phone OS? That's why I will never use post Windows 7 on my conventional PCs. They are not dinky touch-screens!

They really should have at least 2 OS's.  If they want them to run behind-the scenes the same way, then that's one thing.  But at least provide a proper desktop interface for an OS running on a desktop.  As far as I know, it's still a large enough part of the market.

Not that I'm a computer expert. Lucky I even how to turn this thing on. But its so entertaining watching people complain about start buttons and the app desktop on windows 8. My computer isn't much different than it was when it was windows 7. Why wouldn't there be a desktop screen. Maybe from a programmers perspective a few inconveniences probably occur but for GQ public it will pretty much be the same thing. People complain about the dumbest things in life sometimes. 

Isn't Windows Phone 10 supposed to be able to run iOS and Android apps as well? If you can't get devs to make compatible software for your platform, just make all software compatible for your platform type of thing.

Not directly, but Microsoft is providing tools to enable developers to port iOS and Android apps to Windows 10 with *ahem* minimal effort. Of course, this involves a bit more effort than just dropping your code onto a Windows machine and recompiling due to differences in the user interfaces and controls available on each platform.