Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

adding to Neo's last:

... or after XBone (and masterchief collection). Big companies constantly fail to learn from the past though in favor of going to market to beat out the competition. Short-term gains ... everything is always short-term wins in our global economy. Future be damned.

Win 10 may be interesting to me in a couple of years once all the typical MS attempts at redefining 'standards' within their own proprietary context have either failed or faded into obsolescence. (Bing/Google, Silverlight/Flash, MS HTML/open HTML, Communicator/Lync/Skype, blah, blah).

Makes sense to release for back to school from a marketing standpoint.

What is that supposed to bring them? The system is supposed to last a few years just like Windows 7. The people who would be interested in buying a PC with Windows 10 or just the system alone would do so anyway.

Cutting development by 3-4 months for a project of this size and complexity, no way that's going to end up well. I am sure it involves cutting features out, and more importantly, there will be much less room for feedback that can bring much needed changes. Supposedly, they listened a lot this time around, and lots of features were tweaked according to people. Cutting this by months significantly lowers the amount of good and important changes that could be made.

If I had doubts before, now I am decided to wait at least half a year before even thinking about changing.

...there will be much less room for feedback that can bring much needed changes.

Microsoft will be continuing to run a "beta" version of the OS even after Windows 10 is released to receive feedback from users before the updates head to consumers. Even if they had gone ahead with the Fall release schedule, I can't see them wanting to add/change anything major at this point. From what Microsoft has said, with the way the system has been structured on the back-end, they can add new features in the months/years to come anyway.

What is that supposed to bring them? The system is supposed to last a few years just like Windows 7. The people who would be interested in buying a PC with Windows 10 or just the system alone would do so anyway.

Cutting development by 3-4 months for a project of this size and complexity, no way that's going to end up well. I am sure it involves cutting features out, and more importantly, there will be much less room for feedback that can bring much needed changes. Supposedly, they listened a lot this time around, and lots of features were tweaked according to people. Cutting this by months significantly lowers the amount of good and important changes that could be made.

If I had doubts before, now I am decided to wait at least half a year before even thinking about changing.

You clearly don't know much about the retail environment. I've worked in and been in management for years and it makes perfect sense to release for back to school season. Their normal release schedule is Oct so it's only a couple months they're moving it up.

Basically the OEMs are going to eat this up. Kids and college students want the latest and greatest and this will be released in time for the newest tech to have it shipped with Windows 10. Others will have a marketing point to help them sell by saying "free upgrade to Windows 10!". The tech savvy will know this is a ploy; however, the regular consumer (which is the majority) will see this as an extra incentive to buy because they'll think they're getting a good deal.

Like I said, from a marketing stance, it makes perfect sense. Most large retail companies aim for a couple time frames a year and Back to School is one of them. The company I work for makes nearly 16% of their profits from this time frame. That's a large chunk of money for a one month time frame.

If you are among people who do not want this to install, but having trouble preventing it as being discussed here https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4193-windows-10/page-2&do=findComment&comment=156044

Arthmoor and Pete had the thing come back even though they have NOT consented to reserving a copy of windows 10

Reproducing my post :

I have a trick which could help - I have tried the technique on other things before and it works really well .. but not on Microsofts Win 10 update mechanism - So use at your own risk ( I havent tried because I am letting the update go ahead before I decide to bin it, I have Win 7 on OS Disks to re-install for game setups and dual boot Linux afterwards which will be the only OS allowed online in that case ) :

First you need to ensure you untick "Hide Extensions for known File Types" in Control Panel Folder Options

KyffYq0.jpg

( if you dont you will not be able to rename a file with no dot extension, windows makes them automatically when they are hidden depending upon the file type being made )

Folders cannot be created if they already exist, you cannot create a folder with the same name in the same place :

So where you used to have a folder, create a file with the same name ( an empty foldername.txt will do )

Then rename the file to just foldername without the dot and three letter extension ( so delete the .txt from the name )

Windows will not allow a folder and file with exactly the same name either .. yeah yeah go away windows

CsVBi5I.jpg

Now anything which tries to install / download / save to that folder - will go to null / oblivion / sithis / the tooth fairy .. who cares it works smile.png

You just created a black hole for any files sent to that folder - because that file cannot function as a folder, and windows cannot create a folder of the same name .. Which the installation believes is already created.

So for GWX : Delete GWX folder, make a file called GWX.txt in the same location, rename it GWX as in the above screenshot, but in the following location ..

C:\windows\System32\GWX\ <-- Delete this Folder

becomes

C:\windows\System32\GWX <-- File

Now you dont need to periodically check if Get Windows 10 folder has been filled up again, windows cant put anything in it.

Note : To delete the GWX folder you may need to take ownership of the folder and its contents ..

.. and probably uninstall the windows updates first which are enforcing the setup ..

NuPxFyQ.jpg

A few more tips here including a registry key and a batch file someone did to remove the updates which are now four in number apparently https://superuser.com/questions/922068/how-to-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-area-tray

KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3022345 - Update to enable the Diagnostics Tracking Service in Windows
KB3035583 - Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

MS are probably doing the old "new version of an update" trick which circumvents people right clicking and hiding the updates, they did that with silverlight in the past so that it keeps coming back on the list of updates .. Hence the folder null device above could prove useful.
Edited by alt3rn1ty

hmm... it would seem MS is focusing it's nefarious tasks on you poor souls in the US. My GWX folder hasn't been touched since the Win10 systray alert first showed up.

Still, I do appreciate the heads up to disable it. It was also pleasing to read @Arthmoor go off the deep end on MS. I always had him pegged as a calm level headed fellow that can't be ruffled, apparently MS is really good at that.

The amount of people dependant upon Arthmoors skills and machine setup working properly is immense .. Just the USKP which is the most complicated involvement has had nearly 3 million 'unique' downloads. I think I would get a bit ruffled at Microsoft doing things with my machine without a 'by your leave' aswell.

Edit : Not in the US here.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

You wouldn't have this issue if you completely disabled updates like I did a couple weeks ago when I heard they might try pushing something out. Of course the only ones I get anymore are for serious security holes I can't fix myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had anything happening yet ?

29th was supposed to be the beginning of this update rolling out, no doubt it will be in stages and / or regional so as to spread the bandwidth load across the internet - Nothing happened on my machine yet. But then the 29th in the US has just begun at time of writing it will be early part of the day for Microsoft US ( assuming that is where this rollout is being controlled from overall ).

Anyone had anything happening yet ?

29th was supposed to be the beginning of this update rolling out, no doubt it will be in stages and / or regional so as to spread the bandwidth load across the internet - Nothing happened on my machine yet. But then the 29th in the US has just begun at time of writing it will be early part of the day for Microsoft US ( assuming that is where this rollout is being controlled from overall ).

Nothing for me yet besides Nvidia pushing out an update for Windows 10, but I'm planning on waiting a few months before I make the move.

NVidia .. ooh crap, that might be bad for my old laptop, if I update to Win 10, and NVidia with the more recent updates no longer supports my video card, then I may be stuck with drivers which do not work properly on the new OS update. Thats a bit unfortunate. I forget which driver number it was but its only a few version ago where support for old laptop Geforce 8600M cards became no longer supported by driver updates. So I am now permanently stuck with old NVidia drivers on that machine. Oh well see what happens, its probably just the extra fluff NVidia installs these days which we dont need being incompatible with Win 10, but the drivers will be okay, worst case scenario .. re-install from my win 7 disks afterwards and deny any updates. I really ought to get a new laptop someday :)