Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

All MS browsers and internet utilities (e.g., Bing) are junk, and make too much effort to promote the integration of all of their ancillary software and services. They also have lots of nanny 'security' measures that cause page-load failures and crashes and hangs.

Windows 10 will have similar issues in trying to integrate all kinds of other MS bloatware and bloat-services (e.g., Metro) into your system. All MS products I work with have issues with hanging and limiting functionality/freedom (e.g., IE and MS Office apps).

Note of interest: One cannot find third-party browser apps for Xbox consoles ... you are stuck with MicroStupid's IE and Bing :sick:

I cannot quote any source, but I read somewhere the amount of junk in Windows 10 is/will actually higher :/ Hopefully we will be able to turn it all off, but still, I don't like this approach one bit. Guess Microsoft never learns when it comes to certain things.

• +1 1

Note of interest: One cannot find third-party browser apps for Xbox consoles ... you are stuck with MicroStupid's IE and Bing :sick:

On the Xbox subject and this is going off topic a bit...

Microsoft was 100% completely retarded when they required an Xbox Live subscription in order to do anything on the internet on the Xbox 360. Want to watch Netflix? Oh, I'm sorry. Your Live subscription isn't active. W.T.F!!!!  :O_o: I can't watch something I paid for because I haven't paid the middle man?!?!? :wacko: Maybe Microsoft fixed this on the Xbox One. I don't know. Unless you can't live without Halo, save yourself and get a Playstation. Sony doesn't require you to pay them to use the services you've already paid for and the Playstation has a record of being more reliable and more powerful.

As for the "junk" (intergrated services), you can turn most of it off or download and use your favorite alternatives. So far I have yet to find a program that has bugged out on Windows 10. It's all running smoothly. I'll keep the OP updated with a list of confirmed software since I'm not testing a lot.

I did not know about the Xbox live requirement to browse the internet or stream videos ... makes no sense. I don't think that is a requirement anymore though.

I will try Win 10 for kicks once people like you work out all of the bugs :P ... Maybe by 2016-7 Win 10 will be stable/trimmed enough for me (when they begin marketing Win 11 probably)

Good to see 7-zip and TES5Edit working okay

The way I understand it this free update is going to be the last Windows OS.

Windows 10, once you have it by whatever means ( new machine / exisitng 7 or 8 owners / bought ), will be the last full OS upgrade.

Thereafter it will be rolling updates via windows update forever after. There will not be a Windows 11 etc.

Thats why I believe everyone should be wary of this new one ( besides the sneaky way it is being pushed onto everyone, via windows updates that did not explain what they were doing ), the Tyranny of the defaults after you get a free OS will I think become much more prevalent ( Green buttons to say yes which do more than they say ). I imagine Windows 10, to be like a steam client, ads in your face but at the desktop level instead of just a client with advanced settings you can easily bring under control.

I didnt like the way they initially pushed Silverlight to compete with flash via Important Updates ( changed later due to pressure from the press and bad publicity ), or more recently we have Skype being pushed by windows updates, software which microsoft allows the NSA / GCHQ to take snapshots of your teenage kids on their bedroom laptops ..

.. Now they are pushing a free OS in the same way with opportunity to undermine users privacy by changes in User License Agreements / anyone in power with the knowledge / backdoors for privileged organisations.

Spartan will never catch up on Chrome, the amount of fuzz test hammering that the Chromium project software has had with googles server farm dedicated to that one task .. Spartan will always be waaay behind in security research. MS would have to start massive fuzz testing, and offering rewards like google does for the worlds best to try and find holes in it.

Project Spartan is just the code name for the browser while it's in development, I believe the final name for it is Edge. I think I read that it is being designed as an 'app' instead of a traditional desktop application. Perhaps the reason for that is the way updates are going to start rolling out, as alt3rn1ty stated, one OS instead of new editions in the future. It sounds like they're setting up large portions of the OS to be modular so that they can update parts & pieces of the code and the OS can be updated much like Android/iOS apps are updated currently. (except with Windows 10 the updates will be downloaded/installed automatically)

One other thing I have seen somewhere .. I think MS have been considering clamping down on the boot sequence, so much so that between the BIOS kicking the machine to life, every stage of software loading would be signed and encrypted, in a chain that would not allow for another OS being included in a dual boot setup. Basicly, if windows was installed, forget having Linux dual boot on the same machine, you would need another machine or just Linux and dump windows.

The idea being that at no stage during the machine booting would any other kind of software be able to get a foothold ( like rootkits before the kernel )

I do not know what the eventual decision on that will be.

If anyone does not want this to stomp all over your current OS for a while ( let the cannon fodder go first )

Apparently there are 2 updates you need to uninstall to kill it, not just one :

If you go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall an Update, then you look for

KB3035583

and additionally for win 7 ..

KB2952664

I have both of them in my Updates list ( The first installed 20th May, The latter installed 17th April )

Then if you get offered them again in future, just right click and hide them if you still want to deny the updates.

I'm still going to let them happen, Cannon fodder-R-Us ( Got Win 7 discs so no problem rewinding after the event for me )

Source of additional update info Security Now Podcast #510 - Go to 29 minutes and play on.

It is quite dificult to find updates via the GUI ... you have to scan with your eyes amongst hundreds if you only have the update number ... following is an easy way to see if you have an update installed using the command line:

wmic qfe | find "KB######"
The second of those updates you reference was installed for me way back in November last year. I don't have the first ... yet, nor does it show as an available update for me (Win 7 SP1)

Yep the first if you read the MS info linked is for Win 8 and 7 ( SP 1 ) - Going by its title

The second is for supposedly just Win 7 ( none SP 1 ) - Again going by its title

For me the latter installed 17th April ..

So exactly how it applies to some peoples setup I guess will be variable, but the article contradicts the title :

Article ID: 2952664 - Last Review: June 3, 2015 - Revision: 9.0

Applies to

• Windows 7 Service Pack 1, when used with:
    • Windows 7 Enterprise
    • Windows 7 Home Basic
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
Maybe this is also region dependant ?, the only good reason anyone has come up with for this "OS updater" is that maybe it is to regulate how many people get it at any one time, so as not to have the world downloading the OS all at the same time, when MS says go, at the end of July. Edited by alt3rn1ty