Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

@CJ

That is a very common use of verbiage for companies. In other words, what they're saying in that quote is the same for pretty much all companies.

Except other companies usually don't have access to your entire file system + email database. ::P:

I suspect most of it is (or will be) used in store app and Internet advertising in a bid to increase ad rates and is shared with the NSA.

Ad revenue and windows store cut is all this is about for Microsoft, period.

All companies that operate in a country are bound by the government of that country or get shut down. In China or using services based within they get your data, in the US it's the NSA, in Russia it's their Intel services, in Germany it's theirs. All countries spy, full stop. Furthermore, there is data sharing between them.

Now, they collect all this data but are you really that interesting that you warrant a second look? 99% of it is filtered out automatically before ever seeing a real person due to simple resource/time constraint.

• +1 1

I did the install the way Microsoft intended just to see. Express over 8.1. Other than a couple of drivers and programs needing an update everything was smooth and fast. I've had no issues with anything so far. All modding related programs are working as intended from DDSopt to MO. Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Skyrim all heavily modded using forum guides such as Fear & Loathing & SRLE are running exactly the same as they did last week. I'm not sure how this compares under the hood to other Windows versions but I have no complaints or seen any degradation of features or performance.

Well, my Skyrim definitely is getting better fps after upgrading to Windows 10, so I'm happy. Only noticed a few minor UI glitches plus the common crashes of modern apps (I've found they tend to crash if they don't launch quickly enough--some kind of timeout I guess).

Well, my Skyrim definitely is getting better fps after upgrading to Windows 10, so I'm happy. Only noticed a few minor UI glitches plus the common crashes of modern apps (I've found they tend to crash if they don't launch quickly enough--some kind of timeout I guess).

Yeah, I have gotten about a 8 FPS boost in Skyrim after Windows 10 upgrade.

In New Vegas, I'm seeing about a 5 FPS boost, which is not insignificant. 

Just a quick update regarding my earlier post. I gave up updating to Windows 10 pro and went back to Windows 7 pro after I found out that there are no Marvell Sata drivers that work for Windows 10, rendering the backup I made to my large data drive useless. This has changed, after I found this site. They make signed drivers for just about every type of RAID/SCSI controller out there. I making some additional preparations, I then I will give updating another try.

Microsoft account is todays equivalent of the old windows Live accounts

And they have it as a requirement by default so that MS get to hoover up your data, when you sign into windows, where from etc etc, its also an enabler for the MS Cloud services to work ...

Introduced in Win 8

You need to find the option to let you use a "Local Account" instead ( the new equivalent of a windows 7 Admin / Limited User Account )

When it asks you for your email address ( MS Account ), look at the bottom for an option "Dont have an account"

Then at the bottom of the next dialogue where you are encouraged to make an account look for another faded option which says :

"Sign in without a Microsoft Account"

Then you should be able to "Create a Local Account"

If not .. back up, enter a fake email address which you can be sure does not exist, press enter and the dialogue will say your email is unrecognised or similar, and underneath that it will also say "Continue without a Microsoft Account" .. Another way of getting to the same Create a Local Account option.

It was the same on Win 8 / 8.1, I had the pleasure of having to find out how to avoid those options on my youngests new laptop.

To create more accounts on the same machine as Local User Accounts, see this article ..

https://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Edited by alt3rn1ty