Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

You

You can follow the instructions posted earlier in this topic:

The culprits

... after uninstalling those updates and hiding them in Windows Update, you will not see the annoying icon or waste any background resources supporting it. I uninstalled/hid them on all of our home computers.

There has been a couple more windows updates since ( and before Windows 10 started getting distributed ), which apparently are also needing squished - Otherwise parts of the update can come back again ( I dont know all the exact details of how that happens but I know Arthmoor had a recurring update problem even though he had not clicked the "Reserve Windows 10" button, which was a bit cheeky of Microsoft ) ..

Anyway full details ( I thought I posted them in this topic too .. cant remember )

Start of the first post here https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4193-windows-10/

Edited by alt3rn1ty

So... the overall idea seems to be that you need to spend an afternoon or two to install windows 10... setup all the settings and disable all the annoying things.... and then you will actually get the good OS that most people seems to agree that it is. 

Is that more or less the whole deal cooked down ? 

So... the overall idea seems to be that you need to spend an afternoon or two to install windows 10... setup all the settings and disable all the annoying things.... and then you will actually get the good OS that most people seems to agree that it is. 

Is that more or less the whole deal cooked down ? 

imho once its tamed, it performs really well ( and that was my experience on my old laptop, before I got my new one a few days ago )

I would say its better on the performance front than Windows 7, how it will fair over time if you dont disable all the crap is anyones guess, but I would imagine it will become bloated and sluggish same as any windows before it, but possibly a bit more so because there is so much going on recording what you do / updating apps / syncing with the cloud .. if you leave everything at default settings.

Tame it, and it feels like a breath of fresh air to me, and thats coming from someone who previously loved the performance of a clean Win 7 installation.

I'd have to say that Win 10 "performance increases" are part placebo and part fresh OS. I upgraded and disabled all the things alt3rn1ty mentions and found it to be quite sluggish. A fresh install is much better, performance-wise, but I cannot abide all the crap that comes with Win 10 in terms of needless system apps/software and infringements on my personal and administrative rights (and ongoing maintenance to keep it all 'tame' as forced 'updates' flood in constantly).

I don't think this one will be a market success until they "update" Win 10 to accommodate a special flavor just for PCs (i.e., Win 7 with the relatively few improvement aspects that came with Wins 8-10).

Another use case: My father-in-law asked me to downgrade his system back to Win 7 after he used Win 10 for a few days.

Sad fact of it Z is that it is the future.... most other applications, drivers etc. are all going to go towards that. And I somehow doubt they are going to let win 7 be around as long as XP in terms of support etc. 

So as long as the whole installation process is a one time thing I can deal with that... if the performance is equal to my current win 7 then I am happy. 

Spending a single day or two to install a fresh system, and then using it for years is what I normally do anyways. 

But I can see that I under no circumstances will want to upgrade... it is going to be a fresh install. Will probably happen once I can afford an SSD. 

Another use case: My father-in-law asked me to downgrade his system back to Win 7 after he used Win 10 for a few days.

A "few days" is not enough time to judge an OS of any type, imo. That and older people tend to not like change or give things a chance. Myself, I used 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10 and I have been just fine with all the changes but I'm still young. :)

I rather like Windows 10, but you do have to be mindful of your personal security. :)

It needs a couple of days to settle in, after all updates are complete and it has had time to optimize use of memory and hard drive setups thats when it starts to feel really good.

( For anyone who has never had a read of this, download the Win 7 TweakGuide pdf https://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html - Go to page 210, Memory Optimization, and read on for the next couple of sections including hardware and cache, ram, vram, memory and Windows memory management, fault tolerant heap, readyboost, readyboot etc etc - It goes on and on, Windows 7 was the first to do a major overhaul of resource management, thats why it felt so good on a fresh install in combination with less services running by default, and each OS since has made slight improvements to all this background optimization going on )

Thats also the same as was the case for Win 7 and 8, with the new OS background optimizing

My old laptop is the same one I made vanilla reduced textures for, with a core 2 duo at 2.2 ghz, IDE HD, and old NVidia card, 4gb system ram. The performance increase was more than placebo on that machine  :lol: , but believe what you will, I know which I prefer even though I hate all the crap that needs to be turned off.

It may be placebo if you are used to having an older OS on an SSD with a Core I7, with such a machine you will probably not experience much difference upgrading. But running it on my new machine still feels better than Windows 7 ever did, and I am not exactly number one fan for all the unwelcome changes it brings.

Regardless of Win 7 extended support, I am almost certain that Win 10 will evolve into something more accommodating to PC-only users or users that do not want all of the mobile apps installed for use with a non-touch screen. I am also betting that they will reign in some of their oversteps when it all comes out in the wash. That should all happen sometime before support for Win 7 expires (i.e., in 2020).

"desktop mode" is still too much like "tablet mode" in Win 10 currently, IMO. I will defer my 'complementary' Win 10 ISO download until June, 2016, thank you very much.

PS: And what's with the cartoon icons in Win 10 and general lack of shadows in the whole OS? No doubt, this has much to do with perceived performance increases ... certainly not engineering improvements!

... and DY, yes, no doubt driver issues with Win 10 and relatively inefficient Win 10 drivers currently.

Placebo effect.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2949894/windows/windows-10-vs-windows-8-performance-benchmarks-show-a-close-battle-for-fastest.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-performance-numbers-story/

Edit: 

PS: And what's with the cartoon icons in Win 10

Oh my god, yes, the icons for the Recycle Bin, This PC shortcut, and Hard Drive shortcuts are ugly looking..

Edited by SynthetikHD