STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures (by z929669)

z929669

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help myself with updating STEP from 2.2.9 to 2.2.9.2.

With the old version I had run DDSopt and used the optimized textures. Everything was fine, I got it working.

With the new STEP version I have to download the optimized files but I should not do it as I allready have them:

In Mod Organizer I see HRDLC1 optimized, HRDLC2 optimized, HRDLC3 optimized in my left pane.

In Archives the unmanaged High Resolution Texture Packs: HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa and HighResTexturePack03.bsa are ticked.

In the Plugin pane they are not active, dummy plugins.

There is a notice on DDSopt on the 2.2.9.2 Guide:

Notice: For users who do not want to do a custom run with DDSopt, STEP now provides the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures which is installed during in the Fixes section of the STEP Guide. There is no need to run DDSopt if choosing to install this new mod from STEP.

What I understand is I don't need to download the STEP optimized vanilla files, right?

But the Patches section of the guide says:

The installer will ask to overwrite the STEP Optimized Textures from early in the guide, it is recommended to give the Compilation a different name, so Mod Organizer will install the mod in a separate folder.

Type a name into the text field where the filename is located or choose one from the dropdown menu.
Continue with the FOMOD and select the appropriate options.

but as I don't have the STEP Optimized Textures from early in the guide it can't overwrite them?

Actually when I install the Patch there is no overwrite warning.

I'm totaly confused here.

Could somebody help me please? 

Edited by BUBISHI

• 2 weeks later...

Good news on this front: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12720/

=== ATTENTION MOD AUTHORS ===

This likely doesn’t affect many, but some of you may remember. Long ago, we relied on a webserver plugin to help manage large file uploads. We don't know exactly when this plugin stopped working on our servers, but we believe that it hasn't be functional for quite some time. As a result, several mod authors who've wanted to upload very large files have been struggling. 

To put it bluntly, at the moment we cannot guarantee files that are ~2GB or larger in size will successfully complete the upload process. This can result in uploads never finishing or files not appearing after what seems like a successful upload. Even if the website does report that the file has been successfully transferred there is still a chance that the file is corrupt. You can usually confirm this if there is any discrepancy between file sizes.

I know. Annoying, right! So, we’ve started some research to resolve this issue in earnest. We hope to A) get a solution in place quickly, and B) provide more flexibility for large downloads. We’re not sure whether we’ll custom build a solution or implement an existing package, but know that we’re looking to fix this problem sooner rather than later. I’ll keep you updated.

For the time being, as a temporary work-around, Paul (our lovely Director of Content) has graciously offered to “hand-deliver†any large files (~2GB+) that need to be uploaded. There will be some logistics that’ll need to be worked out, such as delivery methods, descriptions, categories and such. However, by providing him with your file, he’ll be able to inject it into the site without issue. He can be reached as BlindJudge on the forums or paul.buttle@nexusmods.com. Thanks, Paul!

It looks like the Standard version of the Optimized Textures may live to see another day. It may be worth contacting BlindJudge to see if he can help out with getting this uploaded in the short-term.