General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

I've been noticing that Verona House Bloodlines and MTCExpandedVillages have a minor issues with each other.

The expanded villages include Aleswell, which also results in the signpost being moved. The Verona Bay sign is then left hanging in midair. I've created a patch that moves the Verona Bay sign back on to the signpost.

Currently I've been using BOSS to sort the fix after Verona House Bloodlines 1.2.esp, and want to gauge how others feel about such a fix.

The patch can be found at:

Verona Bay sign patch for MTCExpandedVillages
https://www.nexusmods...ion/mods/46853/

Edited by GrantSP
Fixed the broken URL

I think that I'll start uploading patches to fix issues, where existing fixes cannot be found.

For example, when the Anvil blacksmith Orrin tries to walk out of his room, he ends up attempting to walk through the candelabra. This is due to the Real Lights part of the All Natural mod adding the candelabra, but not updating the pathgrid.

I've updated the pathgrid so that Orrin and any other NPC's will instead walk around the candelabra.

You can find the patch for this at:

Weather - All Natural Real Lights - Candelabra pathgrid fix

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/46854/

I've been busy, creating some patches to deal with common problems.

Ruined-Tail's Tale for example has regular crashes when he summons his horse. A solution can now be found at:

RTT horse patch

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/46856/

A separate issue I found when starting the Gold Horse Courier (GHC) quests, where I wasn't familiar with the office locations in the different cities.

Information does exist on a wiki, but I don't want to break the flow of the game, so came up with a viable solution of adding direction information to the GHC rules and regulations sheet.

Gold Horse Courier directions

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/46857/

Which mods (if any) in the game affect indoor ambient lighting in areas such as the tutorial Prison Escape? I am finding that it is totally black in there even with the in-game brightness turned to 100%. In addition, torches have a very small light radius.

I have already disabled the interior lighting effects from MOO (Maskar's Overhaul) which I am using instead of FCOM and this made a small difference but I wondered if it was something else as well. I should add that according to the UI clock, it is 6am in-game which may mean that there is no ambient light added by the Weathers - All Natural mod which includes an ambient lighting component for interiors.

Which mods (if any) in the game affect indoor ambient lighting in areas such as the tutorial Prison Escape?

Could be a number of things...

-Oblivion Reloaded

-Animated Window Lighting System and Chimneys - AWLS

-Weather - All Natural

-Immersive Interiors

-Drop Lit Torches

OR has been updated like 15 times since the the guide was updated so maybe that broke another mod. Maybe you didn't install one of the patches for each mod, or didn't install a patch correctly. I've never used any major overhauls though and most of the guide isn't written to be compatible with them, so if they change something with lighting I wouldn't know about it.

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I have investigated so far...

I have checked that I have disabled MOO's ambient light adjustment in its ini so that is excluded.

Weather - All Natural does have the set ANVars.Luminance to 0.75 to dictate the outdoors night luminance but that does not seem to be related to dungeon ambient light. I did mention the time of day however just in case the Imperial Prison was misconfigured as outdoor rather than dungeon.

AWLS does not appear to affect ambient light - just the visuals of windows being lit at certain times of the night.

Immersive Interiors seems to only allow you to see out through windows and obeys Weather - All Natural's light tints.

Drop Lit Torches OBSE just affects torch handling and dropping, not dungeon ambient but I suspect torch radius is either in there or in MOO. I can check in TES4EDIT.

That just leaves Oblivion Reloaded which, while I suspect it is the main mod likely to hold ambient light levels, I just can't find anything in the ini file (the one in the OBSE plugins folder).

I am stumped. For now I can just whack up the in-game brightness but that is not an ideal solution. Is the starter dungeon really intended to be that dark? I do mean so dark you can see utterly nothing unless it is lit by a torch. Oh, and yes my monitor is calibrated (I actually have a Spyder device for that).

You're right some of the mods I said probably don't affect the lighting I was just thinking of anything that could be a potential issue.

Weather - All Natural does have a few more settings that would affect lights/luminance but I don't think they would be related to interiors.

It would make sense that the problem is either OR or one of the major overhauls changes something and you need a compatibility patch that isn't listed in the guide.

Did you check all the other INI's for OR? I'm pretty sure there's like 12 or so for each of the settings for OR and maybe one of them affects lighting now.

Parts of the prison escape are meant to be dark....but if you can't see anything and it's completely black, then it probably is a problem.

Are any other interiors or other places in the game pitch black dark besides the starting dungeon? Are you using the Havok Physics Dungeon Start mod?

I have not been to any interiors yet apart from a hut outside the Imperial City (sheep and a dog outside - which MOO promptly spawned as diseased) and one or two shops inside IC which were perfectly adequately lit, albeit in the daytime. I will see what happens next time I am inside something at night or in a sewer under IC if I find one.

I didn't know OR had more inis - I have not found them yet. I know there is the one in the OBSE/plugins folder and another in an INI folder which appears to control the settings in the ESP according to its readme.

When I am next over on the Windows side and have Oblivion running I will reload an early save and check the darkness and take a screenshot. Some areas with actual godray lighting was well lit - it was just the very start area where you get locked behind and have to fight the first couple of rats, open the door with the Goblin Shaman key and find the Zombie that were totally pitch black unless I upped in-game brightness to 100%.

You genius! Have a cookie!

data/shaders/OblivionReloaded/coloring/coloring.ini

[Default]
Strength      = 0.5
BaseGamma     = 1.6
Fade          = 0.0
Contrast      = 0.8
Saturation    = -0.1
Bleach        = 0.1
BleachLuma    = 0.2
ColorCurve    = 1.2
ColorCurveR   = 0.9
ColorCurveG   = 1.0
ColorCurveB   = 1.0
EffectGamma   = 0.9
EffectGammaR  = 1.0
EffectGammaG  = 1.0
EffectGammaB  = 1.0
Linearization = 1.1

It will probably be base gamma.

EDIT : umm, it looks like I have EnableColoring=0 in the [Effects] section so it is probably being ignored. Back to square one.

Edited by DanielCoffey

Lol, yeah all the secondary ini's only have an effect if they are turned on in the main OR ini. So if you have some setting or effect turned on in the main OR ini that would have an effect on lighting you could try looking through the ini that has all the settings for that setting.

But do look around to see if the lighting is wrong in other places, if it's not wrong anywhere else you can probably just ignore the problem.

The Mythic Dawn Oblivion Guide directed me here for any "issues or problems".

I am currently attempting to mod Oblivion following the MD Guide, and I am encountering a CTD issue when I get to the first benchmark point, after the UI section. I have followed the guide almost to the letter (exceptions made only for updated utilities such as WB) and Oblivion crashes whenever I attempt to start a new game. BOSS is reporting no errors in the load order, and as I said I have followed the guide step by meticulous step. The only mods not installed thus far have been MiniMap - Reboot and RefScope, since I don't want their features and the guide says that they are optional.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I screwed up, or could point me in the right direction to try and un**** it myself? Any help would be much appreciated.

The Mythic Dawn Oblivion Guide directed me here for any "issues or problems".

I am currently attempting to mod Oblivion following the MD Guide, and I am encountering a CTD issue when I get to the first benchmark point, after the UI section. I have followed the guide almost to the letter (exceptions made only for updated utilities such as WB) and Oblivion crashes whenever I attempt to start a new game. BOSS is reporting no errors in the load order, and as I said I have followed the guide step by meticulous step. The only mods not installed thus far have been MiniMap - Reboot and RefScope, since I don't want their features and the guide says that they are optional.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I screwed up, or could point me in the right direction to try and un**** it myself? Any help would be much appreciated.

Do things work with all mods disabled?

Yes - Gradually enable mods until you find where the problem lies. Further advice can be given from there.

No - Something other than mods are causing the problem. Initial troubleshooting can be done by deleting the oblivion.ini file and recreating it by starting Oblivion. Further troubleshooting can be done from here by examining the event viewer for information about what caused the crash in the first place.

Do things work with all mods disabled?

Yes - Gradually enable mods until you find where the problem lies. Further advice can be given from there.

No - Something other than mods are causing the problem. Initial troubleshooting can be done by deleting the oblivion.ini file and recreating it by starting Oblivion. Further troubleshooting can be done from here by examining the event viewer for information about what caused the crash in the first place.

Aw, Hell. I completely forgot that there was a reason to install ConScribe as part of the process. It's all Greek to me, but this is what I found in StaticLog.log after the most recent crash:

HSB:Inserting status bars into HUD

Debug statements toggled off for mod 1B

GetFontLoaded >> 12

HSB:Updated values from ini file

I'm not good with technicalities. Kinda the whole reason I need a walkthrough to mod a game to begin with, know what I mean?

Aw, Hell. I completely forgot that there was a reason to install ConScribe as part of the process. It's all Greek to me, but this is what I found in StaticLog.log after the most recent crash:

That's showing that they've been applied without any trouble, and so can be ignored for now.

I'm not good with technicalities. Kinda the whole reason I need a walkthrough to mod a game to begin with, know what I mean?

Let's find out then what the culprit it. There can be several different things prevents you from getting started. Disabling all of the mods is a good easy way to find out if the underlying system is good to go.

Once you have confirmed that things work without mods, we can then enable them, one group at a time, to help us figure out what is causing the problem.

Once the cause makes itself known, something can them be done about it.

Disabling all of the mods is a good easy way to find out if the underlying system is good to go.

Did that. Problem still occured. So, it's presumably an ini problem, I gather. Problem is, after 'Shaders', ini editing is kinda core to the entire modding process, according to the guide.

When I got to the 'INI Tweaks' part, after the 'Oblivion Reloaded section, I did decide to look through the file and edit the lines that the guide said needed changing, rather than just copy/pasting the lines in the guide into the file. I figured that having duplicate entries in the ini file would be bad. Was THAT a mistake? If so, I'll just wipe everything, clean install and try it again.