General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

I made it to the end of Conflicting Textures and now no longer able to create a new game as it CTD.  I created the two rules in BOSS for the floating weapons and Summ Dremora, ran boss and now I gotta big mess as I expected would happen. 

Edited by xXZexxMooreXx

yeah, another one of those partially updated parts. 

I made it to the end of Conflicting Textures and now no longer able to create a new game as it CTD.  I created the two rules in BOSS for the floating weapons and Summ Dremora, ran boss and now I gotta big mess as I expected would happen. 

I've been out of the game for awhile so I dont even really know.

Thanks for the reply hishutup.   There's not a lot you could know given how man opportunities there are to mess up something. 

I can load my save game, which is just the beginning in the jail, but if I quit to main menu it also crashes. 

There was a point in the guide, right after the UI part where it says you can test, but I never tried creating a new game, I just loaded that save and thus have no idea if would have occurred there. 

Edited by xXZexxMooreXx

I uninstalled "DarNifiedUI Config Addon" and was able to create a new game and exit without CTD

Edited by xXZexxMooreXx

Dealing with crashes ends up being a combination of a science and an art.

I found that CTD's would reliably occur in certain places, such as when travelling NW of Weye. Creating a savegame shortly beforehand, I was able to gradually remove mods until I found that the Curse of Hircine was causing my problem. With everything else installed but only that one not installed, no crash would occur. As none of the attempted answers seemed to resolve the problem, it was an easy choice to remove that one mod.

Other CTD's were caused by RTT, when the sound/video effects occurred when he summoned his horse. I was able to get this to reliably occur (which is vital!) when I mount my horse. Fixing that was achieved by editing his companion script, to remove the effects when the horse is summoned/banished. https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/18837-name-ruined-tails-tale-storydriven-npc-companion/?p=2620473

Another CTD occurs when you mount your horse while RTT is crouching down to examine a dead creature. Knowing why it occurs is half the battle, for you can then seek to prevent those situations from occurring.

All sorts of other things could be causing issues though, including:

- windows downloading updates

- other windows programs that startup with your machine

- multicore cpu

- antivirus program

- multiple monitors

Many of these can be diagnosed from the windows event viewer, but it can be tricky to figure out exactly what may be causing the problem. Sometimes I have removed every single mod to find that it still crashes, so I knew it was none of the mods responsible. Looking outside of Oblivion at my computer system I was able to find and fix the problem.

More Heap has seemed to help with stability too. https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44985/?

• +1 1

You must have some experience in this pmw57. 

Experience born from pain.

For example, sometimes an NPC will approach you after you've slept, but because you're using a mod that lets you see you sleep, you cannot get up due to the NPC mod disabling your actions. You're stuck, trapped. So you have to use the console, click on the NPC to find their reference id, and issue the command:

player.moveto <RefId>

Another sleeping issue is in your Cheydinhal home. When you get up you clip through the wall, resulting in you falling outside. The only solution to which is to toggle clipping with tcl to get back inside, then toggle it off again.

Edited by pmw57
  • +1 1

I've made it to the end of Landscape Cities and caves...

At the start of the FCOM section, it says that there is no turning back, so I assume if you messed up the FCOM part you must start all over from the very beginning. 

After running boss, rebuilding patch and starting the game, I see the awesome "WTF" missing mesh signs and CTD when trying to leave the sewer from a new save.  I believe, but no way to prove it, that I messed up on FCOM part.

Edited by xXZexxMooreXx

After running boss, rebuilding patch and starting the game, I see the awesome "WTF" missing mesh signs and CTD when trying to leave the sewer from a new save.  I believe, but no way to prove it, that I messed up on FCOM part.

You can use refscope to find out what missing textures it's wanting.

With the cursor on one of them, hold down x to choose it, then while held down press e.

You can use refscope to find out what missing textures it's wanting.

With the cursor on one of them, hold down x to choose it, then while held down press e.

Actually, maybe not. I used that with the countess of Bruma to find out what clothing was missing for her.

I had texture trouble with afk_frostcrag, until I learned that an additional missing step is to choose an 02 texture from the esp filter area. How did I figure that out? It's time to backtrack and record the steps that I took.

First, find out what's asking for the missing texture.

- Open the console (with the tilde character (~)) and click on the missing texture.

- The item name and id will appear at the top of the screen. For example, "Desk" (46007073), or "Chair" (4600706d)

- The first two digits of the id (46 in this case) is the number of the mod. Wrye Bash's Mod tab shows that number 46 in my list is afk_froscrag

- Temporarily disable the mod to confirm that you have found the correct source of the problem. When confirmed, enable it again.

- Use TESEdit to load that mod, by disabling all mods then double-clicking on the particular mod of interest.

In my case, I find a Desk with an id of 03007073 in the Static area, and the chair is in the same place too. It's 03 in this case because TESEdit loaded the mod third, after oblivion, cobl, and a dlc frostcrag patch.

We can now see the location of where it's attempting to get the missing texture from (Dwip\AFK_Frostcrag\furniture\upperbookshelf03oak.nif), and further investigation can occur from there.

For afk_frostcrag, I see there are dwip folders in each of the 02 folders. When going to the mod page at https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/38916/? I see in the description the following info:

Select the 02 Furniture package of your choice. You must pick one and only one of these.

which is information that was missing from the guide. Doing that, and the problem is fixed.

That's how the texture issue for afk_frostcrag is resolved. Other mods may have different reasons, but the steps to find out what's causing the issue tend to be the same. Find out what's causing the issue, go back to the install guide to find out if you did everything that you should do, then look further from there.

Edited by pmw57

Another sleeping issue is in your Cheydinhal home. When you get up you clip through the wall, resulting in you falling outside. The only solution to which is to toggle clipping with tcl to get back inside, then toggle it off again.

Let's see what can be learned about this sleeping issue.

Disabling mods from ELZ-No FLoating Weapons on downwards doesn't change the behavior.

Disabling Summon Dremora Lord Saved does result in the behaviour being fixed, where you can sleep in your Cheydinhal home and get out of bed successfully.

(better double-check that, enable Summon and problem exists, disable Summon and problem goes away)

(The summon mod is not responsible for the problem. Why it's involved is explained further down)

Let's slowly bring things back now. I cannot just go down the list turning things on again, because I don't know which ones I shouldn't enable that are in the bashed patch. So first the bashed patch. Oops, problem has returned. Was it one of the included patches or one of the prerequisites that it turned on?

Disable the bashed patch leaving enabled the other mods that the patch turned on, and I can successfully sleep again. So something in the bashed patch is also causing the problem.

Okay, let's disable everything and see if I can successfully sleep. Yes. With the bashed patches enabled then disabled (to activate required masters). There's a lot of them, 74 in total. Time to remove these one screen at a time to find out what's causing the problem. I've noted down all the active mods, so as I disable them I can use the list to easily enable the appropriate ones again.

An interesting aspect is that if the sleeping problem occurs and I get up clipped outside of the room, I can look back at the bed to activate it and I properly get back in to bed, allowing me to properly stand up again inside of the building. Also, I can lie down and stand up properly while unclothed, but if I wait until my clothing returns, the problem occurs when I try to lie down again where I'm positioned off the side of the bed, and stand up outside of the building.

Whoops, I save my game and the problem no longer occurs from that save game. Interesting. Time to load a nearby save. It seems that there was something in my old save that was causing the problem. It also occurs with the nearby save. Is is something I'm carrying?

New details - with all the mods loaded I can get the problem to reliably occur when holding the Dred Doomshard Bow, and when holding nothing the problem doesn't occur. Holding other weapons doesn't seem to cause the problem. Without the Summon mod installed, my Dred bow wasn't able to be loaded so the problem no longer occurred.

It seems that having an active bow when lying down, interrupts the sleep animation and causes you to sleep off the edge of the bed. In your Cheydinhal house this is too close to the wall, so when you get up you clip outside of the wall.

You can fix this in two ways.

1. First you can check if you have a bow active and deactivate it when you sleep.

2. If you forget to do that, when getting up out of bed you can turn around and lie down on the bed again, which will position you properly on the bed.

Edited by pmw57