General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

On another note. Just finished up the entire guide. the game starts fine and everything, but even with a 780ti 3GB vram im getting very low FPS  right outside of the starting sewers. I downgraded the distant LOD and flora textures to lower resolution but its still pretty bad. Anything I could possibly do?

Welcome to Oblivion.

I mean, there isnt much to say, its just what it is. I think I hung around the 20-40 mark, 60 fps is a rare sight.

It didnt matter if I was running at 640x480 or 4k.

Textures dont affect framerate, if it does its within the margin of error ~3fps.

SynthetikHD did some testing awhile back, its in one of these threads.

Hi Hishutup, hi Synthetik,

first I want to thank you for all the work you put into the guide!

I have a couple of issues with it, so I decided to ask for help.

As you might notice, english is not my native language, but I hope that I am able to make the problems understandable.

A first try to install everything resulted in crashes, so I decided to do it one step after another. I uninstalled

oblivion as recomended and started over.

I followed the guide (including FCOM) and always tested oblivion after installing a couple of mods, installed a couple, tested and so on.

After installing

Deathb0rns Modified Qarls LOD Normal Maps

my game CTDs on loading any exterior cell, the cities seem to work.

I tried this with different clean-saves I created before starting to mod. (one outside of prison/sewer, one in the IC-Market)

The saves work without any issues, if I uninstall Deathb0rns.

Loadorder is sorted by boss and seems to be legit, bashpatch was created as recommended.

The only thing I handle differently is the oblivion.ini. I do not set it on read-only, because I got

a couple of crashes doing this.

I use ini-tweaks in wrye-bash for the modifications (I save my ini-changes to an ini-file (e.g. oblivionini_steps.ini)

save it in wrye-bashs ini-tweaks folder and activate it via wryebash).

That seems to work well, but I still got the issues with Deathb0rns.

Any sugestions? Do I need to use "TES4LODgen" or "Landscape LOD generator 5_02" to make it work? (I didin't do that)

Or is anything else needed for Deathb0rn? I could not find anything about incompatibility or any issues on the nexuspage of deathb0rn, either.

And ... "Elz - No Floating Weapon" is hidden and can not be accessed on the nexus. 

Edited by NBM

Sorry about this, I somewhat forgot about it.(Monday was hectic)

As for the crashes, that is very interesting. I dont recall any previous issues and thinking about it, I have no idea how that would be the cause. My guess is that its a red herring but lets try something.

Can you install ENBoost, exactly the same as STEP has it. 

This is one of those "Lets see what happens" kind of thing.

The only thing I handle differently is the oblivion.ini. I do not set it on read-only, because I got

a couple of crashes doing this.

I dont see how those are affected but its all good.

I use ini-tweaks in wrye-bash for the modifications (I save my ini-changes to an ini-file (e.g. oblivionini_steps.ini)

save it in wrye-bashs ini-tweaks folder and activate it via wryebash).

I'll probably make my own ini tweaks but double you has that down but I'll likely incorporate his changes.

Thanks for the support.

In the meantime I reinstalled everything twice. Now it works without any issues. I have really no idea why. 

By now, I reinstalled "everything" (up to Deathb0rns) the fourth time ... and now it works.

Maybe I should have restarted wryebash ... or my rig more often .... can't tell.

I will try EnBoost the next time I have issues. So ... probably soon. ;-)

I'll probably make my own ini tweaks but double you has that down but I'll likely incorporate his changes.

Sorry, as I already mentioned ... English is not my native language. Could you rephrase that, I do not understand, what you are trying to telling me.

One other question: Why do you recomend to set OSR's fastexit to 0? Is this unstable? I realy like fastexit.

And .. thanks again for the great guide. It is sooooo helpful, especially with your support. Most guides for oblivion are abandoned by now. And ... a lot shorter.

Thanks for the support.

In the meantime I reinstalled everything twice. Now it works without any issues. I have really no idea why. 

By now, I reinstalled "everything" (up to Deathb0rns) the fourth time ... and now it works.

Maybe I should have restarted wryebash ... or my rig more often .... can't tell.

I will try EnBoost the next time I have issues. So ... probably soon. ;-)

I believe Oblivion Reloaded has some issues that need addressing and is the source of the CTDs. Look at the comments on its mod page for details.

Sorry, as I already mentioned ... English is not my native language. Could you rephrase that, I do not understand, what you are trying to telling me.

I guess dont worry about it as it doesnt immediately affect you. It was there for completion sake.

One other question: Why do you recomend to set OSR's fastexit to 0? Is this unstable? I realy like fastexit.

Oblivion Reloaded has the same thing, I recommend using either. I selected OR because its doing the Framerate management. 

OSR is just there for heap.

And .. thanks again for the great guide. It is sooooo helpful, especially with your support. Most guides for oblivion are abandoned by now. And ... a lot shorter.

So, I have an issue loading the game. I tested the game after downloading and installing all the mods and it worked fine, then I ran the TES4LODGen and the Landscape LOD Generator, I TES4LODGen seemed like it worked but the TES4ll didn't and now I can't even load the game, it used to crash before even the first loading screen and now it just doesn't load outright. Can I get some help?

If your other post is anything to go by, you are likely crashing from cobl catelogs.

I am currently in class, I'll take of this afterwards.

Remind me if I forget

I'm actually not using Cobl, it wasn't working for me either, along with the Oblivion Character Overhaul or Knights of the Nine Revelation.

Edit: Ok, I have narrowed down the reason it's not starting is one of the OBSE plugins. Still need to solve the crashing problem...

Edit 2: Alright, since everything is downloaded I just decided I'm going to start over... will hopefully not take as long, I'm going to be extra meticulous this time around.

Edit 3: One final thing... Elz's No Floating Weapon file has been set to hidden and I think a couple of the files have updates that require attention in the guide because some options are no longer available. I'll post specifically which ones as soon as I get to them.

Edited by Danni293

I'm actually not using Cobl, it wasn't working for me either, along with the Oblivion Character Overhaul or Knights of the Nine Revelation.

Edit: Ok, I have narrowed down the reason it's not starting is one of the OBSE plugins. Still need to solve the crashing problem...

Edit 2: Alright, since everything is downloaded I just decided I'm going to start over... will hopefully not take as long, I'm going to be extra meticulous this time around.

Edit 3: One final thing... Elz's No Floating Weapon file has been set to hidden and I think a couple of the files have updates that require attention in the guide because some options are no longer available. I'll post specifically which ones as soon as I get to them.

If you're crashing immediately after launching the game, or extremely early in the main menu loading bar but the game was loading up fine earlier, then you may be able to fix this by a couple of restarts of your PC. If that doesn't work, then try reinstalling the DirectX that came on the Disc or in the Steam Folder depending on your version. 

I've noticed that, especially on Win10, changing other programs or games on your PC can interfere with Oblivion - one day it's working and the next it's not with no explanation. However, after a restart and reinstall and Oblivion's version of DirectX it should load up again for you.

If it still doesn't work, it's likely you've messed up the process somewhere along the line

Edited by Sh0dan

Hi,

First of all, thank you for the Oblivion guide. I like how it is setup so far. I do have an issue though. I am not to far into the guide, but when I install OBGE Reloaded, the game crashes to desktop before getting to the main menu. It gives the typical "Oblivion has encountered a problem...Blah,Blah,Blah. But, If I uninstall OBGE, its  starts normally with OBSE. I tried installing without touching the ini file, no dice. tried using version 2.2, still nothing. Not sure what it is. Has anyone ever encountered this isuue?

Here is my mod list so far:

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm
01  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.5.3]
++  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
02  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
03  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.5.7]
++  LoadingScreens.esp
04  LoadingScreensAddOn.esp
05  LoadingScreensSI.esp
06  DarNifiedUI Config Addon.esp
07  Dynamic Map.esp  [Version 2.1.1]
08  DLCHorseArmor.esp
09  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.8]
0A  DLCOrrery.esp
0B  DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6]
0C  DLCVileLair.esp
0D  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.11]
0E  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
0F  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.7]
10  DLCSpellTomes.esp
++  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
11  DLCThievesDen.esp
12  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.13]
13  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp  [Version 1.0.13]
14  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
15  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.11]
16  DLCFrostcrag.esp
17  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.9]
18  Knights.esp
19  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.6]
1A  HUD Status Bars.esp  [Version 5.3.2]
1B  Skill Perk Descriptions.esp  [Version 1.1]
1C  Lynges Unlimited Death Reload Time.esp
1D  Summon Dremora Lord Saved.esp
1E  RefScope.esp  [Version 2.1.2]
1F  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by raedwald

I have installed up through User Interface and it seems to work fine until I get to the sewer exit.  I cannot exit the sewers without an immediate crash.  Backing out the UI changes (back to Fixes) let's me exit.  I've done this step a number of times to the same result.  Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Also - as any annoyance, Wryebash won't let me open up installers if the .ini is  set to read-only.  ?

I was able to determine that something in the trollf loading screens was causing an issue.  I removed those from the install and was able to proceed, however it now crashes on Qarls TP3 when exiting.  I found an erroneously named file in meshes\dungeons\exteriors (the file has a preceding space) and fixed that, but it still crashes.  I'm beginning to wonder if Oblivion is struggling with my graphics card (980TI).  ?

This guide is great! I haven't played Oblivion in quite some time and now that I got it on steam I want to finally try to finish the game (I never did). I used OMOD back in the day but after starting this guide, Wrye Bash is great!

I do have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to:

Elz - No Floating Weapon MOD is no where to be found, not on Nexus, not via a Google search or even German and asian sites. 

- Is this mod needed? If so, where can I get it? Can someone share it via Google drive, skydrive, etc?

Some of the MODs have recent versions as new as this October. (The guide was updated just recently right?)

Would it be ok/perferable to use the new versions or use the guide's versions?