General Feedback

So I've expanded Kelmych's ACRforFWE plugin to replace the old mods by The Third Type and adapt ZealotLee's MP5s, SVD Dragunovs and Adaptive Combat Rifle to a fuller, better-scaled FWE environment.

For testing :

Link -  https://8f9784a776.test-url.ws/tmp/ClearAndPresentAdjustment_Beauty_Weapons_2.esp

Comments :

- Rescaled ZealotLee's MP5 submachinegun stats. It is a robust 9mm weapon, more accurate than the 10mm SMG but slightly less powerful. The kurtz variant (MP5K) is a bit faster in VATS and not as good at longer ranges, and the silenced version is handled as it if had received a WMK silencer for coherence's sake.
- All these MP5s can be repaired like any 9mm SMG, and be used for parts to repair to repair similar weapons. They also are set up for Iron Sight.
- Raiders will now carry far fewer such MP5s - not only are these weapons on too many levelled lists, FWE tweaked the lists by release 6.0 so raiders would have lower-tech weapons. The Talon Company remains fond of these MP5s, though.
- ZealotLee's SVD Dragunov is SLIGHTLY less powerful and accurate than the basic .308 sniper rifle, to partially compensate for its 10-round magazine. No offence meant to the venerable 7.62x54mm round. The same relationship exists between the People's Dragunov and the Reservist's Rifle.
- Both Dragunovs can be repaired like any sniper rifle, and be used for parts to repair .308 sniper rifles
- The Adaptive Combat Rifle (ACR) in 14.5" performs much like the basic assault rifle. The short-barrelled version is a bit better at close range (higher ROF, easier to handle in VATS) but poorer at longer ranges, and the 18" barrel is a bit less powerful than a 5.56mm sniper rifle (the DKS 501). The LH configuration is as damaging as the basic FN-FAL, but heavy and slow in VATS. The ACR is also a bit less robust than a basic assault rifle. It's not a super-weapon ; what makes it good is that it can be reconfigured in the field.
I agree that the ACR sniper is too powerful with the default stats that T3T used since, as you pointed out, there should be a difference between 5.56mm and more powerful ammo. The smaller ammo can often provide better accuracy but less damage.
- All ACR configurations can be repaired like any 5.56mm assault rifle, and be used for parts to repair 5.56mm assault rifle. They also are set up for Iron Sight.
- Fixed a typo that made a few ACR variants overpowered by an order of magnitude

Sounds good. The ACR is interesting and I've been using it in game because of the versatility. I've been having some problems though since if I field strip it I haven't been able to reassemble it. I could with the original ZL plugin, but with the updated one it hasn't worked right for me. Have you seen this?

It will certainly be nice to have a single mod that fixes all the issues with the very interesting ZL weapons.

I'm currently going through the suggested mods that have been mentioned recently. As soon as I can I'll add all the ones that seem reasonable to the guide, along with changing the batch sorting file for the vanilla Fallout textures in the optimization guide.

I looked at the revised Beauty Weapons patch. I was expecting to see ZL-SVD-CALIBR.esp and Zl-ACR.esp in the list of master files for this mod, and that the ACR and SVD weapons would be edited versions of the weapons in those mods, or is this something you plan to do later? The ZL-MP5 Pack is a master, but not the other 2 ZL mods. Of course, if you have permission from Zealotlee, KDStudios, and One_eyebrow_priest then you don't need the old plugins as master files and fewer plugins will be needed by users.

I'd like to suggest an amendment for Robots HD Retexture:

Files that override EVE to be hidden:

• textures/creatures/sentryturret/sentryturret_g.dds
  • textures/creatures/sentryturret/sentrybot_g.dds
  • textures/creatures/mistergutsy/mistergutsyweapons_n.dds
  • textures/creatures/mistergusty/mistergutsyweapons.dds

Files that should override EVE:

• textures/creatures/mistergutsy.dds
  • textures/creatures/mistergutsy_n.dds
  • textures/creatures/sentrybot/sentrybot.dds
  • textures/creatures/sentrybot/sentrybot_n
  • textures/creatures/sentryturret/sentryturret.dds
  • textures/creatures/sentryturret/sentryturret_n.dds

This way you keep the higher resolution color and bumb maps from robots, and getter the better guns and lighting from EVE. I'd maybe make a wiki page for it, but I'd have to figure out how to do that first.

This is a duplication of a post I made in the wrong sub-forum, stupid me.

I have been using a very old copy of Fallout 3 without any DLC and therefore I couldn't use your guide.

Just the other day I managed to get the GOTY retail version for a few dollars on eBay. I am therefore in the process of installing these mods following your guide.

Just a question on the NVAC plugin. Is there a reason, other than personal choice, as to why the grass ini settings couldn't be applied as a tweak when installing that mod, instead of a general ini edit? I only ask since there is that proviso under NVAC that this setting won't work without NVAC.

I'm eagerly looking forward to using this setup. I have already played Fallout 3 many times in the past, obviously without the DLC, and the way you have it setup looks extremely appealing.

Also you make detailed instructions for the Fallout Stutter Remover's Heap replacement but leave the setting in Master as 0.

Do you not view that aspect of FSR as beneficial?

I'd like to make something clear about grass rendering in FO3, since Grant asked and it's not the first time this has come up.

FO3 and FNV have some differences and one of them is engine bugs. The grass rendering bug is only in FNV. The INI tweak is still valid in FO3 because the default setting may be to low. Grass rendering in FO3 is tied to the INI setting, but cannot go further than the ugrids setting, or 5x5 cells if you use the default ugrids. 17000 appears to be about right for ugrids of 5 to render grass the furthest it can go, but you do not need NVAC for it to work in FO3. Someone at either Bethesda or Obsidian probably was messing with the engine and created a little hack that limited grass rendering to 3x3 cells and never put it back to normal. 

So NVAC in FO3 can safely be removed? It did strike me as funny that there wasn't a listing for it in the Nexus for FO3, though that in and of itself isn't evidence. Thanks SRB.

I'm on a stupid binge at the moment. Why I thought NVAC is only for grass settings is beyond me. Time to take a break.

Edited by GrantSP

I invited the Nexus modder with the weapons stat rationalisation mod to this here community.

I looked at the revised Beauty Weapons patch. I was expecting to see ZL-SVD-CALIBR.esp and Zl-ACR.esp in the list of master files for this mod, and that the ACR and SVD weapons would be edited versions of the weapons in those mods, or is this something you plan to do later? The ZL-MP5 Pack is a master, but not the other 2 ZL mods. Of course, if you have permission from Zealotlee, KDStudios, and One_eyebrow_priest then you don't need the old plugins as master files and fewer plugins will be needed by users.

For ZealotLee's Dragunov my understanding (from the Nexus mod description) is that only one .esp must be activated (in the guide, you have the extraneous one switched to optional via Mod Organizer). And since we postulate a CALIBR installation I went with that .esp.

IMO requesting reuse should wait a bit - my list of potential patches earlier in the thread was based on conflict that occur pre-bashed patch, but for all I know these are best treated via bashed flags or something else I don't have a good understanding of. So better groups for patching will likely emerge.

FWIW I just noticed that the few EVE weapon rewrites I offered in my "Great Old Ones" mod were apparently overwritten back by the bashed patch. But the Weapons Mod Patch ALPHA mod might be a better platform to handle that anyway.

EDIT : a propos of nothing, you have full authorisations to use my proto-mods. In case I have to drop out of this project due to workload or something.

Edited by Ghostwise

I invited the Nexus modder with the weapons stat rationalisation mod to this here community.

That's me. And thanks for the tip, this is definitely pertinent to my interests. I used STEP for Skyrim and I like where you're going with this.

It'll take me a while to get up to speed with everything you're doing here but I hope I can be of some use. At the very least you might be interested in another mod I'm working on that patches popular mods like DC interiors for spelling and grammar.

Anyway, I'll be around.

Proposed additional section in the guide for folks who are new to FWE and MMM :

----------------------------------------

FOR THOSE UNFAMILIAR WITH FALLOUT WANDERER EDITION AND MART'S MUTANT MOD

If you are unsure of how to set up the two key mods in this guide (Fallout Wanderer Edition and Martigen's Mutant Mod), here are some suggestions.

The combination of these two mods makes the game richer and considerably more challenging. However, you can adjust the difficulty by changing their settings, and even backpedal to near-vanilla gameplay.

Both these mods, and several others, can have their options set right in your PIPBoy. The control modules are part of your Items menus ; most of them are at the top of your Apparel PIPBoy screen.

Mart's Mutant Mod (MMM)
We suggest that you keep everything at default, except for these three bits :
- Increased Spawn Settings - select Slightly Increased Spawns (1-2)
- Other Spawns - turn off the new behemoth chance
- Ghoul Options - set the rise chance to 25

You can access the MMM mod settings even during the Vault 101 origin sequence. In fact it's safest to do your settings while you're still in Vault 101, before any outdoors cell gets populated.

Fallout Wanderer Edition (FWE)
Keep everything at default, except for these bits :
- Damage and combat - set both radioactivity and falling damage to 2 (Moderate)
- Loot - set vendor caps to 0% (most caps)
- Feature settings - have bobbleheads provide a +1 to S.P.E.C.I.A.L., and equipped armour have a 50% carry weight bonus
- Primary Needs - in the Hunger menu set food to heal, and in the thirst menu set drinks to heal
- Ability Hotkeys - set Sprint to Mouse Button #3, Bullet Time to Mouse Button #4 (if your mouse has those)

You can access the FWE mod settings as soon as you're in the Wasteland, but not during the Vault 101 origin sequence.

These settings are meant to conserve a FWE+MMM experience that is quite close to the default, but less overwhelming and inconvenient as you discover the modified gameplay and determine your preferences. And it keeps the bobbleheads at the +1 level since raising your S.P.E.C.I.A.L.s is a Fallout tradition.

What would be the best way to enjoy this setup:

Playout the alternate start as one of the preset types

or

continue on with the initial scenes and grow up in Vault 101?

If the alternate start has some benefits, which preset would play the best in this environment?

Seconding Grant's question.

Based on what I've read some of the alternate start scenarios preclude completing the main quest, and many side quests as well.

The problem, as I understood, was that many of the alternative start scenarios came with pre-defined faction alliances and opponents that while interesting from a purely role play perspective, precluded many of the vanilla quest arcs.

I went with the standard Vault 101 origin for my current playthrough, but I'd be very interested in trying something different in the future.

Proposed additional section in the guide for folks who are new to FWE and MMM :

----------------------------------------

FOR THOSE UNFAMILIAR WITH FALLOUT WANDERER EDITION AND MART'S MUTANT MOD

If you are unsure of how to set up the two key mods in this guide (Fallout Wanderer Edition and Martigen's Mutant Mod), here are some suggestions.

The combination of these two mods makes the game richer and considerably more challenging. However, you can adjust the difficulty by changing their settings, and even backpedal to near-vanilla gameplay.

Both these mods, and several others, can have their options set right in your PIPBoy. The control modules are part of your Items menus ; most of them are at the top of your Apparel PIPBoy screen.

Mart's Mutant Mod (MMM)
We suggest that you keep everything at default, except for these three bits :
- Increased Spawn Settings - select Slightly Increased Spawns (1-2)
- Other Spawns - turn off the new behemoth chance
- Ghoul Options - set the rise chance to 25

You can access the MMM mod settings even during the Vault 101 origin sequence. In fact it's safest to do your settings while you're still in Vault 101, before any outdoors cell gets populated.

Fallout Wanderer Edition (FWE)
Keep everything at default, except for these bits :
- Damage and combat - set both radioactivity and falling damage to 2 (Moderate)
- Loot - set vendor caps to 0% (most caps)
- Feature settings - have bobbleheads provide a +1 to S.P.E.C.I.A.L., and equipped armour have a 50% carry weight bonus
- Primary Needs - in the Hunger menu set food to heal, and in the thirst menu set drinks to heal
- Ability Hotkeys - set Sprint to Mouse Button #3, Bullet Time to Mouse Button #4 (if your mouse has those)

You can access the FWE mod settings as soon as you're in the Wasteland, but not during the Vault 101 origin sequence.

These settings are meant to conserve a FWE+MMM experience that is quite close to the default, but less overwhelming and inconvenient as you discover the modified gameplay and determine your preferences. And it keeps the bobbleheads at the +1 level since raising your S.P.E.C.I.A.L.s is a Fallout tradition.

It looks like I didn't make the Control menu page and Hotkeys page that provides some recommendations on mod settings, particularly FWE, sufficiently apparent in the guide. I'll add more pointers to it in some of the mods like FWE vs. just having it mentioned at the bottom of the guide. These ancillary pages have some of information and recommendations on settings for FWE and other mods that I have tested in the game I've been running. I'll add the suggestions on MMM settings and the FWE ability hotkeys since these aren't there currently. I based my FWE recommendations on a different set of goals than the above. I prefer to have the game be challenging but not rediculously so, and in particular I want to avoid having characters get many skills with high skill levels and multiple SPECIAL characteristics with high levels until near the end of the game (in games with all the  DLC and all the quests) and even then I'd still like the player to have to make choices about which skills/SPECIAL to raise. The FWE recommendations above make the game easier than I feel it should be to keep the game interesting and challenging especially when the player character is above level 20; of course, each player will have different criteria on what is appropriate. For example, having Bobbleheads provide a small skill increase, is better IMO than having them raise SPECIAL levels. In addition to items that provide SPECIAL increases when they are player inventory or worn, the SPECIAL levels can be increased with Perks and some quests in the game.

Seconding Grant's question.

Based on what I've read some of the alternate start scenarios preclude completing the main quest, and many side quests as well.

The problem, as I understood, was that many of the alternative start scenarios came with pre-defined faction alliances and opponents that while interesting from a purely role play perspective, precluded many of the vanilla quest arcs.

I went with the standard Vault 101 origin for my current playthrough, but I'd be very interested in trying something different in the future.

I have used two of the alternate starts and neither one affected completing the main quest or side quests. I'm not aware of alternate start choices that might do this, but I haven't checked extensively. The two I've used are the Medical start at Rivet City and the Mechanic start at Robco. The Mechanic start does affect some quests (a few quests are easier since not all of the robots are hostile), but it doesn't preclude doing any quest. There are still lots of challenges, don't worry. The Medical start is challenging because getting to Megaton from Rivet City is extremely challenging for a low level character, and you won't be able to enter the shopping area in Rivet City until you leave for a while and return. Of the two I prefer the Mechanic start. It's worth doing the standard start once, but overall I found the alternate start more interesting.