Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

I don't think I'm usually one on here to tell the many more informed and experienced modders on here that they are wrong (except when I was arguing about the "Run for Your Lives" mod for Skyrim, lol...), but I think you guys should check out the User Rules Manager of BOSS again.  I can show you screenshots if you don't believe me or don't want to check it yourselves, but I was able to add every rule and bash tag in the F&L guide for the unrecognized mods easily through that tool.  It didn't require any sort of extra effort past doing pretty much what the F&L guide instructions say to do in BUMBOSS displays the tags in the same format as other bash tags and all.  It all seems to work properly.  You really should check it out.

You are probably right that you can do it if you have my instructions or are just really good at know what tags and section to add stuff to. The difference with BUM is that you can take the instructions I give you and apply them yourself using the powerful features of BUM. The BOSS userlist manager has a list of mods on the right and separate tab for sections where BUM has a combined version with every mod in the masterlist broken down by section and you can easily search the list for mods. It makes my job so much more easy and hopefully you've learned enough to apply some of that stuff to mods that have not been added to the masterlist. There is not anything wrong with the BOSS userlist manager, but it is not as dynamic as BUM. Also, I keep getting this bug with BOSS where I start up the userlist manager and if a mod that had a user rule was added to the masterlist, BOSS freezes. If that bug got fixed then I might use it, but it probably won't get fixed before I start working on converting to LOOT. The metadata editor for that could use some work too, I hope that there is a LUM in the works.

You are probably right that you can do it if you have my instructions or are just really good at know what tags and section to add stuff to. The difference with BUM is that you can take the instructions I give you and apply them yourself using the powerful features of BUM. The BOSS userlist manager has a list of mods on the right and separate tab for sections where BUM has a combined version with every mod in the masterlist broken down by section and you can easily search the list for mods. It makes my job so much more easy and hopefully you've learned enough to apply some of that stuff to mods that have not been added to the masterlist. There is not anything wrong with the BOSS userlist manager, but it is not as dynamic as BUM. Also, I keep getting this bug with BOSS where I start up the userlist manager and if a mod that had a user rule was added to the masterlist, BOSS freezes. If that bug got fixed then I might use it, but it probably won't get fixed before I start working on converting to LOOT. The metadata editor for that could use some work too, I hope that there is a LUM in the works.

Huh?  That's exactly what the User Rules Manager does also...  What version of BOSS are you using?  I'm using 2.3.0.

Kelmych - with the Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP mod, are items in Doc Mitchell's house supposed to all be marked as owned by him?  ...because I have that mod installed and everything in his house is instead marked as owned by no one (I can take anything and it's not red as if I was stealing).

Hmmm. I don't know. I looked at the YUP readme which lists all the fixes and it was in the list. You could look at the YUP mod with FNVEdit and see if something else is overriding these fixes.

I also compared the YUP list of fixes to those in NVEC. YUP seems to have a much larger set of fixes than NVEC. Iin one places (Mission Mojave) the readme says some fixes were not included in YUP because they felt that they only there for aesthetic reasons. NVEC does seems to includes a number of fixes that are not in YUP.

Kelmych - if you start a brand new game and as soon as you get out of the bed, then you go and look at items around the Doc's house, are all of them non-owned for you?  Maybe something is messing up my installation of YUP.

EDIT: I just read the readme for YUP.  "Ownership Tweaks For Doc Mitchell And Goodsprings - According to J.E. Sawyer, ownership on the various items in houses around Goodsprings were left unowned intentionally so that the player couldn't invoke the ire of the entire town before even getting the game started."  (whew, at least my mod is working like it's supposed to) I think what it is saying is that it "fixes" items in parts of Goodsprings to all be as the original intent - unowned.  The other mod, I think, makes all the items that make sense to be owned, actually owned.  I think the unmodded (vanilla) situation is that the same items are kind of oddly seemingly randomly owned or unowned in a way that doesn't really make sense.  I seem to recall it being that way in Doc Mitchell's house before I ever decided to mod my game.

I prefer the items to be owned though, like it sounds like this mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38253/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D38253%26preview%3D&pUp=1) does, because it makes more sense, despite what the original intent was.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I fixed the sidebox for you after Unified HUD Project so the text off to the left of it cleared the box and started afterwards.

Also, are you aware within that sidebox you instruct users to go ahead and start up the game to test the menu; however, there is a missing master for Afterschool Special.esm at this point in the install (Sortomatic.esm).

Kelmych - if you start a brand new game and as soon as you get out of the bed, then you go and look at items around the Doc's house, are all of them non-owned for you?  Maybe something is messing up my installation of YUP.

EDIT: I just read the readme for YUP.  "Ownership Tweaks For Doc Mitchell And Goodsprings - According to J.E. Sawyer, ownership on the various items in houses around Goodsprings were left unowned intentionally so that the player couldn't invoke the ire of the entire town before even getting the game started."  (whew, at least my mod is working like it's supposed to) I think what it is saying is that it "fixes" items in parts of Goodsprings to all be as the original intent - unowned.  The other mod, I think, makes all the items that make sense to be owned, actually owned.  I think the unmodded (vanilla) situation is that the same items are kind of oddly seemingly randomly owned or unowned in a way that doesn't really make sense.  I seem to recall it being that way in Doc Mitchell's house before I ever decided to mod my game.

I prefer the items to be owned though, like it sounds like this mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38253/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D38253%26preview%3D&pUp=1) does, because it makes more sense, despite what the original intent was.

It even fixes bed ownership so you can bunk in Doc's patient rack. Not sure if it slices/dices/juliens but it also addresses the not-so-abandoned house the prospector squats in & the junk outside the general store.

An updated version of the beta batch files for optimizing the FNV vanilla textures and textures in FNV mods is available here. The batch files for mods were added in this version. The mod batch files have the same UI as the Skyrim version, so the DDSopt discussion of using the batch files as part of optimizing mod textures is also relevant for FNV. These haven't been tested extensively yet, but are now being tested.

Finished doing a whole lot of mods, different versions of those mods. I did all three of NMCs packs with different constraints just to see what would work best for people. I think that you can almost use the batch file to separate the exteriors from the low res pack with are 1k and then combine them with all the non-exterior textures from the medium pack with are 2k and 1k for the best setup or just reduce the size to the exteriors in the medium pack, but that takes a bit of time to process.

Didn't see any errors through the whole thing once I realized that I misspelled the Mod Extracted directory.