Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

So I may check out that Wildlife mod. It did seem rather old though. I'm curious if it was abandoned before completion.

I also want to check out this little mod from the author of ILO. https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43485/?

Looks like track lighting for OWB, my favorite DLC.

Re- Wildlife; ripple posts:"You've made giant mantis more aggressive--which is fine and makes things more interesting. The problem is that you also edited the giant mantis guarding Keeley in Vault 22, which ensures that she will be dead when the player get sthere and the optional quest cannot be completed. Just removing that specific entry will fix this. However, I haven't gone through the plugin in great detail so I would recommend you look through the entries to identify any critters might be quest related and not modify them, just in case their default behaviour is necessary to the quest."

So that's one concern, also compatibility although F&L doesn't have anything else altering fauna.

Path Lighting sounds great.

(in other news, lots to investigate on the ToF&L front, I'm totally immersed in th TTW mod forum looking for stable candidates to review).

<3 ya Bee for your work :) I think, I'd be utterly lost without it, since it's my first setup of FNV.

So, nuub question, I don't seem to be able to figure it out and I was honestly too lazy to work through 40+ pages on this topic: NMC is non-Ultimate (no dlc-package). Poco Bueno as well?

I've found Ewi's Big Texture Pack Ultimate Edition + the Rocks for dlc's. Ewi suggests to install NMC + Ojo Bueno (I'd use Poco Bueno instead) and lastly his/her pack. Except, I do not like the desert retex of the sand, too boringly uniform. I tought to experiment with these 3 packages, might really figure out the best components of each and make a new package, eventually a guide how to. As well, since I am running on a GTX 550 TI with only 1GB VRAM, might I could be of help to figure out a reasonable texture pack (for everything, incl. clutter etc.) for limited GPU setups.

How far are you with DDsOpt instructions? I am *scared* to go at it on my own, but I would manage eventually, gonna take ages xD. Are facegen/body whatever data a problem with compressions like in Skyrim?

Next, Wyre Flash seems to retag/reorder my Boss generated load order and thus messes up masters for some of the mods. Not sure what to make of it. I do not use Loot as yet. Certainly won't for my stable Skyrim setup. But might I should for a new setup of FNV? Edit, nvm Loot comment. Edit 2: Not really getting anywhere with Wrye Flash. Looks like this Posted Image

Edit 3: figured it out, Wrye Flash Mod tab --> Lock Times in the Files options is very bad. Might make sure in the guide that ppl do disable that.

Oh, and PS. don't know if it was mentioned, but for Vurt's Flora Overhaul and his LOD for NMC and Poco Bueno: since the guide uses both, I've figured to actually use the LOD in this order as he mentions in his readme, except changed like that:

Install the main file version of choice normally.
Now during install for the LOD file it is recommended to install to a separate folder so it can be reverted easily.
Where "Name" is shown type "WFO NCM LOD".
Now expand "Vurts WFO - LOD Patches v1_2->--CHOOSE YOUR PACK---> NCM blahblah - LOD Patch", then right click "Data" and select "Set data directory".
Click [OK].

Rinse and Repeat with Poco Bueno.

This should install them for both without conflicts, aka overwriting in correct order according to install order of the packs.

Edit 4 (gonna make highest edit record of all times... o.o): I am a little confused, upgraded today to MO 1.2.6, bashed patch still goes to Priority 0 ?

Edited by Soire

I am still keeping my bashed patch at the bottom of the left pane in MO. I place NVAC (nvse plugin as mod) in the 0 priority, reason being when I placed a mod I expected to see overwrite/be overwritten the conflicts tab/column wasn't supporting the theory that priority 0 trumps all. Admittedly it was late, and maybe the gist of the priority 0 theory was that it overwrites without showing the conflict, just to be safe I placed NVAC there since it wouldn't conflict either way. Maybe someone knows more and can elaborate on this to better answer yur question.

Yes, sorry, MadOak, I think, I confused myself quite a bit chasing 404 - file not found & Wrye Flash errors all afternoon =)

Questions were:

1) I don't seem to be able to figure it out: NMC is non-Ultimate (no dlc-package). Poco Bueno as well?

2) How far EssArrBee is with the DDsOpt guide for FNV and when I opt textures, if body and face textures are as a problem as in Skyrim.

Ty redishirlord, I did that with a plugin as you suggested and my lovely bashed patch is back on the bottom.

Yes, sorry, MadOak, I think, I confused myself quite a bit chasing 404 - file not found & Wrye Flash errors all afternoon =)

Questions were:

1) I don't seem to be able to figure it out: NMC is non-Ultimate (no dlc-package). Poco Bueno as well?

2) How far EssArrBee is with the DDsOpt guide for FNV and when I opt textures, if body and face textures are as a problem as in Skyrim.

Ty redishirlord, I did that with a plugin as you suggested and my lovely bashed patch is back on the bottom.

1) Both NMC and Poco Bueno are both texture replacers. They probably also affect DLCs as some assets from vanilla appears in the DLCs, but no DLCs are required to use NMC and Poco Bueno, since they just replace textures.

2) EssArrBee would of course be the best to answer that question, but as far as I know he's still missing a lot of testing of mods. How's your system holding up? It's already running pretty smooth on my system, so if there ain't no problem, it'll be best to just let him takes his time  ::): 

EDIT:

@EssArrBee, by the way have used the Path Lighting mod in an earlier playthrough, and it's perfect, one of those things that just should have been in the game from the beginning. Actually forgot about it, but it is certainly going back in my load order.

Edited by MadOak

<3 ya Bee for your work :) I think, I'd be utterly lost without it, since it's my first setup of FNV.

So, nuub question, I don't seem to be able to figure it out and I was honestly too lazy to work through 40+ pages on this topic: NMC is non-Ultimate (no dlc-package). Poco Bueno as well?

Don't think they do. I have the Honest Hearts walls covered from Textures Over Time. They are really smooth much like the wind and water carved sandstone of Zion National Park.

I've found Ewi's Big Texture Pack Ultimate Edition + the Rocks for dlc's. Ewi suggests to install NMC + Ojo Bueno (I'd use Poco Bueno instead) and lastly his/her pack. Except, I do not like the desert retex of the sand, too boringly uniform. I tought to experiment with these 3 packages, might really figure out the best components of each and make a new package, eventually a guide how to. As well, since I am running on a GTX 550 TI with only 1GB VRAM, might I could be of help to figure out a reasonable texture pack (for everything, incl. clutter etc.) for limited GPU setups.

I tried a lot of ewi's stuff for the DLCs and just kinda thought the rock textures were the same granite looking textures with different colors. Still might add them for Lonesome Road, but not the others. Well, maybe the Red Rock Canyon, but the current Red Rock is really nice.

How far are you with DDsOpt instructions? I am *scared* to go at it on my own, but I would manage eventually, gonna take ages xD. Are facegen/body whatever data a problem with compressions like in Skyrim?

DDSopt is scary to me and I've used for over 2 years at least a dozen times. I don't have the time to do a bat file like kelmych did for Skyrim, but I can tell you that I had a few textures added the ddsopt.ini on the DDSopt guide that should get skipped so they don't disappear in game. The black texture under the grates in Freeside and the Strip mostly, and the black cave entrance texture. I'm probably going to do more a general recommendation for setting up the restraints of DDSOpt for different systems so they can reduce texture size and save some serious VRAM space. Freeside and the Strip could use this for sure. Your 1GB card probably should limit outdoor textures to 1k and a mix of 1k and 2k indoors. NMC's is already optimized really well as far as I could tell, he did a good job, but with only 1GB of VRAM maybe consider the small pack. If there is a smaller pack for Poco maybe consider that as well.

Next, Wyre Flash seems to retag/reorder my Boss generated load order and thus messes up masters for some of the mods. Not sure what to make of it. I do not use Loot as yet. Certainly won't for my stable Skyrim setup. But might I should for a new setup of FNV? Edit, nvm Loot comment. Edit 2: Not really getting anywhere with Wrye Flash. Looks like this Posted Image

That is a clash between the load order from BOSS and the load order then plugin had while being created. Open the orange plugins in FNVEdit right click on those plugins and hit reorder masters. Save and exit. reload WB and they should be green. You're image is not linking to anything reupload so I can take a look.

Edit 3: figured it out, Wrye Flash Mod tab --> Lock Times in the Files options is very bad. Might make sure in the guide that ppl do disable that.

Lock times is god awful.

Oh, and PS. don't know if it was mentioned, but for Vurt's Flora Overhaul and his LOD for NMC and Poco Bueno: since the guide uses both, I've figured to actually use the LOD in this order as he mentions in his readme, except changed like that:

Install the main file version of choice normally.

Now during install for the LOD file it is recommended to install to a separate folder so it can be reverted easily.

Where "Name" is shown type "WFO NCM LOD".

Now expand "Vurts WFO - LOD Patches v1_2->--CHOOSE YOUR PACK---> NCM blahblah - LOD Patch", then right click "Data" and select "Set data directory".

Click [OK].

Rinse and Repeat with Poco Bueno.

This should install them for both without conflicts, aka overwriting in correct order according to install order of the packs.

I'll review it later today.

Edit 4 (gonna make highest edit record of all times... o.o): I am a little confused, upgraded today to MO 1.2.6, bashed patch still goes to Priority 0 ?

Priority bug turned out to be a different bug altogether. 1.2.6 partially fixed it. 1.2.7 will fix the other part of that bug. Stick with my suggested load order and it will all be fine when the 1.2.7 update comes. The in game difference at the moment is not that big a deal. Much bigger for Skyrim than FNV.

I am still keeping my bashed patch at the bottom of the left pane in MO. I place NVAC (nvse plugin as mod) in the 0 priority, reason being when I placed a mod I expected to see overwrite/be overwritten the conflicts tab/column wasn't supporting the theory that priority 0 trumps all. Admittedly it was late, and maybe the gist of the priority 0 theory was that it overwrites without showing the conflict, just to be safe I placed NVAC there since it wouldn't conflict either way. Maybe someone knows more and can elaborate on this to better answer yur question.

1.2.6 fixed pat of the bug, 1.2.7 will take care of the rest. Don't worry about to much for FNV since there are no UPs stacked in between official content.

Questions were:

non Ultimate, for both.

40%, never optimize bodies unless you know what your are doing. You can't apply the same type of compression to those textures as you do to rocks or buildings.

Thanks a lot for this pack. I'll probably use it as an add on for the NVEC mod and just leave out whats incompatible with that.

Your welcome. Mods like NVEC are really great, but I don't think I'll ever use one of those in the guide in an attempt to have greater compatibility.

1) Both NMC and Poco Bueno are both texture replacers. They probably also affect DLCs as some assets from vanilla appears in the DLCs, but no DLCs are required to use NMC and Poco Bueno, since they just replace textures.

True, but many landscape textures are new.

2) EssArrBee would of course be the best to answer that question, but as far as I know he's still missing a lot of testing of mods. How's your system holding up? It's already running pretty smooth on my system, so if there ain't no problem, it'll be best to just let him takes his time  ::): 

I am not, Roy Batty and NMC are the best to ask about that stuff. Go the NMC nexus page and those two are answering questions quite often. Tapioks still answers questions, but I only see him on the Enhanced Shaders nexus page, so go there and ask about Poco/Ojo.

Also, double click any mod and see if ...texturesnvdlc01 folder is overwritten for Dead Money, nvdlc02 for Honest hearts... The dlc01, dlc02... are textures from fallout 3 dlc used in FNV

EDIT:

@EssArrBee, by the way have used the Path Lighting mod in an earlier playthrough, and it's perfect, one of those things that just should have been in the game from the beginning. Actually forgot about it, but it is certainly going back in my load order.

Cool, I always hearing what others think about mods. Helps me refine the choices and makes things more orderly inside my mind. That means stuff gets done faster.

@Everyone, I'm still hoping to get lots of STEP 2.2.9 work done this weekend. I had said I'd be putting a bunch of time to F&L this weekend, but if I get STEP stuff done then I'm free and clear to focus on this project instead of dividing my time on both. I started some stuff for STEP last night and will do a lot more tonight, so the staff members here can get be as ready as possible for release after MO 1.2.7 comes out. 

Follow up to my statement re- bashed patch, after SRB's answer I've got my default bashed patch (the non-MO) in priority 0, and my profile specific bashed patch (handled as a mod) last in my left pane install order. That way if I fumble while juggling various profiles I'll get my last patch specific to the relevant profile instead of one created for another profile but not moved to its mod folder. If that didn't make sense to you ignore it and follow EssArrBee's F&L guide advice.

@Everyone, I'm still hoping to get lots of STEP 2.2.9 work done this weekend. I had said I'd be putting a bunch of time to F&L this weekend, but if I get STEP stuff done then I'm free and clear to focus on this project instead of dividing my time on both. I started some stuff for STEP last night and will do a lot more tonight, so the staff members here can get be as ready as possible for release after MO 1.2.7 comes out. 

Personally I agree that you should just focus on the STEP until the 2.2.9 revision is done, a lot of people are probably waiting for that one and as you said yourself, better getting that one done and out of the world, since it's come so far as it have you don't need to update that one so frequently anymore. Better focus on that one now and have all the time you need to put into this one afterwards.

Bee, thank you very much for your answers, appreciated... where is that endorse button ?!... darn!

The screenshot, right click and load in a new tab, it'll show. Though, you did answer my questions already fully without that screenshot =)

An initial version of a batch file to sort the vanilla FNV extracted textures prior to using DDSopt is available here for testing. It works the same way as the Skyrim Pre-optimization batch files work. Extract the BSAs, run the batch file, then run DDSopt on the sorted folders. There is some documentation in the readme files; more documentation about these will be added in the DDSopt guide soon. For FNV it removes all the interface-related textures prior to optimization since they don't need optimization and DDSopt can corrupt a few of them. Skyrim has very few interface files in the texture BSAs while FNV has many. It also removes a few other files that shouldn't be optimized. The batch file for use with FNV mods will be added soon. The batch file to archive the optimized vanilla FNV texture folders is included.