Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

I'm now working my way through extraction, and noticed one thing.

In the pre opt readme there is no mention of GRA. Is it still in the batch files or did you just not add a suggested folder name?

Also, OneWorldBlue_textures should be OldWorldBlues_textures.  ::P:

oops. It needs to be added to the documentation. I'll fix these errors. The names for the texture folders don't actually matter for the FNV version of the pre-optimization sorting, unlike the Skyrim version, by the way. I did have GunRunnersArsenal in the folder for the test I ran, I just forgot to add it to the documentation. The documentation will be changed shortly.

The version with revised documentation is here. The batch files themself have not been changed.

Right, 16 is the Skyrim number and 5 is the correct value for FNV. Next time I change stuff I'll change that. I ran the optimization before I posted the batch files and they seemed to optimize correctly. I'm still looking at the log file to see if any changes are needed in the batch processing, but it doesn't look like there were any significant problems.

The FNV files in the DDSopt.ini are excluded by the batch files, by the way. I've noticed in Skyrim that DDSopt doesn't always exclude files in the DDSopt.ini, at least one file I added fairly recently.

I've been working on an update procedure for UI sections mods that need uHUD. I'm about done with page and need some people to read through and see if it looks like something they could follow without a problem. This update procedure thing is probably the biggest hurdle to people setting up their own UI section if they would like to.

Here's the page: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Essarrbee/FalloutNewVegas_UISectionUpdate

I'll add in more screenshots and ones that aren't broken when I get the wording down.

@Kelmych, the folders are a bit different for FNV than they are for SKyrim. In Skyrim we are instructed to do three folders, but they are named a little different than the FNV folders. I did the Vanilla Ordinary and Vanilla Exterior Normal Maps and now I'm a bit stuck with which ones to do next. I think the Vanilla Exterior Textures with the 1Kx1K settings, but the Body textures I'm guessing might need the H3 settings. I'll move on to those other files tomorrow. In the mean time I attached the Exterior Normal Map log. I forgot that DDSOpt names the log after the source folder and overwrote the first one.

I will test today both UIGuide & DDsOpt batches and give feedback.

@EssArrBee, my Skyrim runs perfect with 1-2k textures mixed, outdoors and indoors. Sometimes stutter while certain cell transitions, but who doesn't. I figured, I'll try the same with FNV. Regarding performance on 1GB - 1.5GB GPU's (also for i3's or average laptop setups) might consider/suggest in your guide instead of Nevada Skies  FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting combined with Dynavision 3 as an utterly costumisable alternative for outdoors.

Here the links: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52037/?

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51577/?

Sorry I didn't get the new guide material written up yet. Once the files are sorted I set the lower Browse window on Vanilla Optimized and never change it. I then set the upper Browse window then the constraints and optimize, then change the upper Browse window to another folder and (if needed) change the constraints, hit process, ... until finished. The order of optimizing the folders doesn't matter. Doing this the log I usually see is VanillaOptimized.log which includes all the textures. Here is the screenshot of the file folders after optimization.

In the Skyrim mod file sorting there are 5 categories; I combined the Ordinary Textures and Normal Maps here since I didn't see much value in using different constraints for these two. Exterior textures are usually the ones that hit VRAM the hardest, unless there are lots of NPCs on screen and the body mod uses 2Kx2K textures for body and head textures.

For constraints with the vanilla files I used H3 for everything except the Exterior Normal Maps and I used H2 for those since my GPU is fairly powerful.  I always use the uncompressed format settings in the Constraints window unless I have some reason to force DDSopt to change uncompressed textures to compressed; with the uncompressed format settings DDSopt will properly process both uncompressed and compressed textures. There are very few (10-20) 2Kx2K textures across all of the roughly 25K FNV vanilla textures, so in reality there isn't any real difference between H2 (which uses 1024x1024 as resolution limit) and H3 (which uses 2048x2048 as resolution limit). If I had less VRAM I'd likely choose either H2 for everything or H2 for everything except the exterior normal maps and use 512x512 resolution limits for those.

The settings recommendations will be different for mods, by the way since these can have bigger textures.

I should probably have put this post in the DDSopt thread, but at least this way there are some initial instructions for FNV users prior to getting the full writeup. I might add a post in the DDSopt thread with a bit more detail.

I've been working on an update procedure for UI sections mods that need uHUD. I'm about done with page and need some people to read through and see if it looks like something they could follow without a problem. This update procedure thing is probably the biggest hurdle to people setting up their own UI section if they would like to.

Here's the page: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Essarrbee/FalloutNewVegas_UISectionUpdate

I'll add in more screenshots and ones that aren't broken when I get the wording down.

A few comments:

• I think DarnUI and Project Nevada should be left checked and this should be mentioned. (the mods that are primarily providing prefabs, including One HUD, are the ones that need unchecking, in addition to Unified HUD of course) 
  • I think it would be better to start with the case of successful installation (section 4 right after section 1) and then have what to do if there is a problem come after this. part of Section 1 would say if there is a problem go to (what was previously #2)
  • It's possible to add updates without having to reactivate Unified HUD in FOMM package manager vs. just ticking it again (as long as the two includes... files in the prefab folder in Unified HUD don't need to change, which is usually the case unless a new mod is being added) but I'm not sure whether the steps to do this will seem more complicated for most users than reactivating Unified HUD.

Being that I already installed the UI section a different way (the way you described it a while back - 2 months? ago), reading what you have, I'd be concerned that it doesn't account for how to work with how it was done a long time ago.  So for people who installed it a while back, it would be nice to have some sort of instructions on how to uninstall and then reinstall the UI section safely without screwing up anything else.  I remember previously there had been statements about how running FOMM through MO can overwrite other mod files that are installed in MO (even though the general idea is that mods installed in MO are individually protected from one another due to the virtual file system).

Honestly, at this point, I have no idea how intertwined my UI mods are in MO and with their FOMM installations.

BTW - Why is BOSS Userlist Manager (BUM) in the list of installed applications?  Don't the newer versions of BOSS include an integrated User Rules Manager that can do the same thing well enough? Do you think it's better to eliminate extra unnecessary applications, or is there a reason to use BUM over the other?

Also, while creating user rules, I noticed that your BUM directions for the Animated Fan mod mentions selecting "AnimatedFan.esp", but I think it should be "AnimatedFanV2.esp".

EDIT: ADAM - A Definitive Armor Mod is missing user rules information in the guide.  It's got 2 plugins that are unrecognized by BOSS. (Just a reminder)

Edited by oqhansoloqo

BTW - Why is BOSS Userlist Manager (BUM) in the list of installed applications?  Don't the newer versions of BOSS include an integrated User Rules Manager that can do the same thing well enough? Do you think it's better to eliminate extra unnecessary applications, or is there a reason to use BUM over the other?

Also, while creating user rules, I noticed that your BUM directions for the Animated Fan mod mentions selecting "AnimatedFan.esp", but I think it should be "AnimatedFanV2.esp".

EDIT: ADAM - A Definitive Armor Mod is missing user rules information in the guide.  It's got 2 plugins that are unrecognized by BOSS. (Just a reminder)

While BOSS do have a user rules manager integrated in it, it's pretty barebones. It only let's one order plugins before or after another plugin, where BUM gives you the option of sorting it in a certain category. 

It's the ADAM all-in-one installer you're talking about right? This is what EssArrBee had to say about it on page 41:

I haven't added them. In BUM just put both ADAM Complete behind any ADAM plugin in the list on the right side, use the search by just typing in ADAM - Main.esp. Put the Complete PN Patch right behind the ADAM Complete plugin. I'll also add some ways to bash tag them later. The tags are delev, invent, graphic, and stats for the main plugin. You just click the mod with Wrye Bash go to the box on the bottom right and add the tags before generating the bashed patch. Or, just wait for my instructions to be written.

A few comments:

• I think DarnUI and Project Nevada should be left checked and this should be mentioned. (the mods that are primarily providing prefabs, including One HUD, are the ones that need unchecking, in addition to Unified HUD of course) 
  • I think it would be better to start with the case of successful installation (section 4 right after section 1) and then have what to do if there is a problem come after this. part of Section 1 would say if there is a problem go to (what was previously #2)
  • It's possible to add updates without having to reactivate Unified HUD in FOMM package manager vs. just ticking it again (as long as the two includes... files in the prefab folder in Unified HUD don't need to change, which is usually the case unless a new mod is being added) but I'm not sure whether the steps to do this will seem more complicated for most users than reactivating Unified HUD.

The procedure is mostly for mods that require uHUD to add their elements to the HUD. I only say to deactivate all the mods because some people will just not know what to do if I say to only untick the mods they know are not affected.

I get what you are saying about updates to mods that are already installed. I think I'll have to reword some stuff so it is clear that it is for adding anew mod.

Being that I already installed the UI section a different way (the way you described it a while back - 2 months? ago), reading what you have, I'd be concerned that it doesn't account for how to work with how it was done a long time ago.  So for people who installed it a while back, it would be nice to have some sort of instructions on how to uninstall and then reinstall the UI section safely without screwing up anything else.  I remember previously there had been statements about how running FOMM through MO can overwrite other mod files that are installed in MO (even though the general idea is that mods installed in MO are individually protected from one another due to the virtual file system).

Honestly, at this point, I have no idea how intertwined my UI mods are in MO and with their FOMM installations.

2 months ago what was different? I really don't know what is the difference to now except that there are less FOMM required mods. It is down to only four mods now instead of seven or eight. The rule to follow is that, if the installer requires the ability to "see" what is installed then it needs FOMM, and if it does not then the MO external installer works fine. PN - Extra Options needs to see PN, Flashlight NVSE needs to see MCM, OneHUD needs to see PN, and uHUD needs to see all of them.

For some reason when I was doing installs with FOMM it would overwrite files in my mods folders for the prefab xml files. I didn't think that was supposed to happen, but it messed me up early on in my crazy attempt to actually put this monster together. That is why I say untick all the mods that aren't required if you are installed a mod with UI stuff, i.e. PN - Extra Options requires PN.

The procedure is mostly for mods that require uHUD to add their elements to the HUD. I only say to deactivate all the mods because some people will just not know what to do if I say to only untick the mods they know are not affected.

I get what you are saying about updates to mods that are already installed. I think I'll have to reword some stuff so it is clear that it is for adding anew mod.

When I read "update" I thought the discussion was about reinstalling an existing UI mod. I think it would also be useful to have a short guide or section on this since it can happen often if mods like the JIP UI mods are used (these are updated frequently, especially the Follower Command and Control mod that isn't in the current guide).