Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Particularly buggy mod?

No. However, and I hope this doesn't spoil it for you, when you enter the new worldspace if you have companions with you, EVERYONE you meet is hostile towards you and you therefore can't complete questlines offered by some of these individuals. Considering everyone was a ghoul that I encountered initially, I just thought everyone was SUPPOSED to be hostile.

I posted on the Nexus page how there should be a simple reminder somewhere in the description about dismissing everyone first. No response of course, considering the age of the mod.

So I can't comment on the actual storyline or the mod past the initial load area as I couldn't proceed. It might be brilliant!

Particularly buggy mod?

Also, using MSI Afterburner to monitor my CPU and GPU usage during gameplay (CPU usage is ridiculously bad, it only seems to use a few cores out of 8) , I noticed that GPU usage will frequently drop to about 5% whenever I get those short pauses. Particularly noticeable when producing explosions with the grenade launcher. This is after removing a bunch of mods so I'm now down to 117 plugins (with 12 disabled due to the bashed patch). Is EVE likely the culprit in this case because of its effects?

EDIT: Seems that ENB (latest 0278 binary) is the issue. Uninstalled it, and now the game runs much smoother, barely even drops a frame when firing the grenade launcher. Would the stutter be an inherent problem with ENB, or a particular setting (e.g. memory amount)?

CPU utilizing only 1-2 cores is totally fine. It's not that easy to find many CPU heavy tasks that can be run in parallel. Believe me...

ENB with effects turned on in fact can be hugely demanding on GPU. Particulary DoF and AO effects. Personally I always turn off DoF because the blur may be fine for screenshots and videos in the actual game it's mainly a distraction and annoyance. AO is great on the other hand but yeah... very demanding. Loosing about 10 fps with AO on - with GTX 970 videocard...

CPU utilizing only 1-2 cores is totally fine. It's not that easy to find many CPU heavy tasks that can be run in parallel. Believe me...

ENB with effects turned on in fact can be hugely demanding on GPU. Particulary DoF and AO effects. Personally I always turn off DoF because the blur may be fine for screenshots and videos in the actual game it's mainly a distraction and annoyance. AO is great on the other hand but yeah... very demanding. Loosing about 10 fps with AO on - with GTX 970 videocard...

Even with the effect turned off in-game, I still get performance issues unless I remove the ENB entirely.

Here's a comparison. First part is with ENB completely uninstalled. Second is with ENB activated.

EDIT: Seems it was the "ReduceSystemMemoryUsage" setting causing the issues. Setting it to false removed the constant hitches and stuttering I was getting. I've got 16GB RAM and a 2GB GPU, so anyone with a similar setup should also set the option to false if using ENB. This should probably be mentioned in the ENBoost section of the guide.

Edited by Jax765

Even with the effect turned off in-game, I still get performance issues unless I remove the ENB entirely.

Here's a comparison. First part is with ENB completely uninstalled. Second is with ENB activated.

EDIT: Seems it was the "ReduceSystemMemoryUsage" setting causing the issues. Setting it to false removed the constant hitches and stuttering I was getting. I've got 16GB RAM and a 2GB GPU, so anyone with a similar setup should also set the option to false if using ENB. This should probably be mentioned in the ENBoost section of the guide.

You're not the only one. I did a huge thing about this a couple of months ago. ENB for Fallout is practically broken with numerous features not working properly. ENBoost doesn't even work without ReduceSystemMemoryUsage set to True. There is literally no point IMO to use ENB if ENBoost doesn't work. I've switched to ReShade personally.

You're not the only one. I did a huge thing about this a couple of months ago. ENB for Fallout is practically broken with numerous features not working properly. ENBoost doesn't even work without ReduceSystemMemoryUsage set to True. There is literally no point IMO to use ENB if ENBoost doesn't work. I've switched to ReShade personally.

Game looks less ass when using ENB, but it does come with a bunch of issues like hair transparency and buggy AO (noticeable when there's smoke effects). Is there a way to separately modify contrast for day and night? With one setting, it can look washed out during the day and ultra contrasty at night.

Are there any good presets around for Reshade? Came across a couple, but they don't look particularly good.

Game looks less ass when using ENB, but it does come with a bunch of issues like hair transparency and buggy AO (noticeable when there's smoke effects). Is there a way to separately modify contrast for day and night? With one setting, it can look washed out during the day and ultra contrasty at night.

Are there any good presets around for Reshade? Came across a couple, but they don't look particularly good.

I've actually been using SweetFX Suite for now. I am learning how to make my own completely custom ReShade for NV but it might take a while. :\

That's turning ENBoost off. The problem here is that no matter how much RAM you got there, for 32 bit process even with LAA (fnv4gb) you are still limited to about 3.5GB. ENBoost is offloading textures to a different process (enbhost.exe) - reducing game process memory consumption. If you have a lot of textures without ENBoost you might start getting CTDs due to out of memory situation for the game process... But gotta try to know for sure.

I've actually been using SweetFX Suite for now. I am learning how to make my own completely custom ReShade for NV but it might take a while. :\

Were you able to use reshade with ENB? Setting it as a proxy library? I've tried with no effect whatsoever... Not sure why.

Here's what Boris was saying on this matter:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1042116-ctd-and-performance-patch-enboost/page-9&do=findComment&comment=8509999

In most cases ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true increase stuttering, but for AMD users.

I'm personally on nVidia and do not notice any stuttering with ENBoost on... But maybe it also depends on some other factors, like for example the amount of big textures? I've optimized all my textures with ddsopt and they are unpacked from BSA. I'm also following guide didn't install more then 2k textures...

That's turning ENBoost off. The problem here is that no matter how much RAM you got there, for 32 bit process even with LAA (fnv4gb) you are still limited to about 3.5GB. ENBoost is offloading textures to a different process (enbhost.exe) - reducing game process memory consumption. If you have a lot of textures without ENBoost you might start getting CTDs due to out of memory situation for the game process... But gotta try to know for sure.

Were you able to use reshade with ENB? Setting it as a proxy library? I've tried with no effect whatsoever... Not sure why.

I was getting random crashes already with ENBoost enabled. Also, I'm using an Nvidia card.

There are many other possible reasons for game to crush beside memory usage...

I'm also using an Nvidia card. In fact the stuttering issue only seems to affect people with Nvidia cards. Either way ENB for Fallout is broken for me. :\ 

Edit: The stuttering issue only goes away for me after switching to my integrated graphics from my CPU.

Edited by Audley

If you decide to keep 'Beyond Boulder Dome' just remember to dismiss ALL companions before entering the area. Failure to do so will render the entire questlines unplayable. I fact I found only after completely ruining that save.

When you say "dismiss" does that mean send them back to their default locations where they are actually no longer considered an active companion, or does setting them to "wait" or "relax" as with JIP Companions Command & Control before entering the Outside the Mojave worldspace for BBD work also?

You could try leaving ReduceSystemMemoryUsage set to true and also set EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks to true.  That works also.  I've been playing the game with those settings for hours and hours and very rarely get CTDs or freezes.  And who's to say when I did get CTDs or freezes that they were a result of this.  In one reoccurring case, it had to do with FCO's Glowing Ghouls optional plugin that was in the guide not too long ago.  In another reoccurring case, it had to do with an NPC in Camp McCarran that apparently was regularly trying to initiate an animation in an invalid location - so I locked the location of the NPC to prevent her from wandering to the invalid location.  :)  Both of those issues I doubt had to with ENB memory tweaking.

• +1 1

When you say "dismiss" does that mean send them back to their default locations where they are actually no longer considered an active companion, or does setting them to "wait" or "relax" as with JIP Companions Command & Control before entering the Outside the Mojave worldspace for BBD work also?

TBH, I don't know. All I know is when I entered the worldspace with them beside me, everyone just started shooting at me! :woot:

TBH, I don't know. All I know is when I entered the worldspace with them beside me, everyone just started shooting at me! :woot:

So a wise thing to do might be to test this by taking a companion in with me to observe the results.  Then load a save, have all companions wait, enter, and observe the results.  If it seemed the same as the prior test - load a save, formally dismiss all companions, enter, and observe the results.  I'll try this test when I'm ready for BBD.  :)