STEP v2.2.7 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

Terrain Bump

Which version is the recommended one in STEP 2.2.7? Earlier, if I'm right was the performance one (1.4c) Now in STEP guide (even in the detailed instruction section) I just can't find wheter should I use 1.4b or no, do not change the performance version?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrain Bump

Which version is the recommended one in STEP 2.2.7? Earlier, if I'm right was the performance one (1.4c) Now in STEP guide (even in the detailed instruction section) I just can't find wheter should I use 1.4b or no, do not change the performance version?

There is really no difference. If you are trying to conserve every last drop of VRAM, go with performance ... there is really no noticeable quality difference at all.

Just saw this, thought I could report.

The STEP W&A Fixes wiki recommendation page is slightly outdated. https://wiki.step-project.com/Weapon_%26_Armor_Fixes#Recommendations

It says to install a multi-mod compatibility patch but it is no longer available. Instead, there are 3 seperate patches under the 'miscellaneous' section. Because W&A is installed earlier than ICH in the STEP guide, users should particularly take care to put the patch for 'Improved Closefaced Helmets' lower in the install order in MO/WB than ICH, else the ICH esps will not be overwritten.

Just saw this, thought I could report.

The STEP W&A Fixes wiki recommendation page is slightly outdated. https://wiki.step-project.com/Weapon_%26_Armor_Fixes#Recommendations

It says to install a multi-mod compatibility patch but it is no longer available. Instead, there are 3 seperate patches under the 'miscellaneous' section. Because W&A is installed earlier than ICH in the STEP guide, users should particularly take care to put the patch for 'Improved Closefaced Helmets' lower in the install order in MO/WB than ICH, else the ICH esps will not be overwritten.

Thanks. I've updated the instructions for the mod.

The notes have been further corrected - the Guard Dialog Overhaul patch is needed because BOSS sorts WAF before GDO' date=' and without said patch, GDO will overwrite WAF's changes.[/quote']

This can't be updated in BOSS? Because the author states on her page that the patch is not needed if GDO is loaded before WAF.

Compatibility patch for Guard Dialogue Overhaul by Eckss. If you load GDO before Weapons & Armor Fixes, then you don't even need this patch, since Weapons & Armor Fixes includes SPIKE-VE. However, depending on where you have GDO in your load order, you may not want to do this. WAF should be placed very high in your load order, so if GDO is not high in your load order, then you can place WAF before GDO and use this patch file last.

This would eliminate a used slot if it could be sorted out. If not, the author should remove the comment since I don't know of a single modder that doesn't use BOSS besides perhaps a newbie that doesn't know better.

I could update it, but since WAF overwrites many weapon/armor records, and because of the author's recommendation, the mod needs to load around the DLC fixes. This is done so that mods that change select weapons actually work properly, and are not overwritten by WAF. Not going to change unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

Ever since I removed the iLargeIntRefCount completely from the INI, as talked about earlier in this thread, I haven't experienced a single CTD/ILS anymore in dungeons. Used to get like 1 per every 2-3 hours but I've been playing over 30 more hours now and it hasn't happened again. No other relevant changes were done to my setup so I just wanted to confirm that it helped.

So thanks again! :)

Just did a reinstall of STEP:Core on my 2nd Mod Organizer.

I noticed a few things during installation so far. I know STEP also leaves some choice to the user, but I think the following things can be considered for change by you in order to make the guide a bit easier to understand for some users. After all, these are STEP:Core mods. I noticed the following (up to and including 2.G. Landscape & Environment, will do rest tomorrow):

Enhanced Night Skyrim:

Description doesn't mention whether a galaxy is supposed to be installed or not. Also not sure why you choose lower-stars. I doubt the performance difference with medium or high is noticeable and with lower stars one can much easier see the ugly round lines that make up the skyrim sky.

Moss Rocks:

1. In the installer are two options: Install Moss Rocks normal OR Moss Rocks SMIM version. Notes do not mention which one.

2. There is a Dragonborn version of Moss Rocks, of which there is no mention in STEP

Realistic Mushrooms:

There is also a low-res version (1k) available. Would be nice for users if you mention which one to pick. I guess the 1k version for baseline.

Terrain Bump:

There is both a performane and a regular version. Z, Since since you yourself made the mod and wrote in the description that the performance version has no noticeable quality loss compared to regular, it would be good for STEP to have the recommendation as well, I guess?

Visible windows:

Has no style recommendations. Do you recommend 'smooth' or 'gritty'? Deafult/Yellow/Red/Blue/Green tint?

W.A.T.E.R. 

1. Reduces Splash is now called "improved splash" in the installer

2. Extra Wet Rocks is called 'kerplunk - watery rocks' in the installer

3. Ice is now called 'frozen puddles' in the installer

4. There is a 'dawnguard' option in the installer. Althought not mentioned in STEP notes it is quite logical that people with the xpac install it

4a. There are actually 3 Dragonborn options, but STEPS only mention to install the 'DB Addon

5. There is a rowboat option: just wondering why this is not mentioned

6. Both high and medium resolution have six different stylistic options available, but STEP does not mention any preference/recommendation. Maybe these are new since the last update I'm not sure since I've been using RWT2 on my regular install.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

Just did a reinstall of STEP:Core on my 2nd Mod Organizer.

I noticed a few things during installation so far. I know STEP also leaves some choice to the user, but I think the following things can be considered for change by you in order to make the guide a bit easier to understand for some users. After all, these are STEP:Core mods. I noticed the following (up to and including 2.G. Landscape & Environment, will do rest tomorrow):

Enhanced Night Skyrim:

Description doesn't mention whether a galaxy is supposed to be installed or not. Also not sure why you choose lower-stars. I doubt the performance difference with medium or high is noticeable and with lower stars one can much easier see the ugly round lines that make up the skyrim sky.

Moss Rocks:

1. In the installer are two options: Install Moss Rocks normal OR Moss Rocks SMIM version. Notes do not mention which one.

2. There is a Dragonborn version of Moss Rocks, of which there is no mention in STEP

Realistic Mushrooms:

There is also a low-res version (1k) available. Would be nice for users if you mention which one to pick. I guess the 1k version for baseline.

Terrain Bump:

There is both a performane and a regular version. Z, Since since you yourself made the mod and wrote in the description that the performance version has no noticeable quality loss compared to regular, it would be good for STEP to have the recommendation as well, I guess?

Visible windows:

Has no style recommendations. Do you recommend 'smooth' or 'gritty'? Deafult/Yellow/Red/Blue/Green tint?

W.A.T.E.R. 

1. Reduces Splash is now called "improved splash" in the installer

2. Extra Wet Rocks is called 'kerplunk - watery rocks' in the installer

3. Ice is now called 'frozen puddles' in the installer

4. There is a 'dawnguard' option in the installer. Althought not mentioned in STEP notes it is quite logical that people with the xpac install it

4a. There are actually 3 Dragonborn options, but STEPS only mention to install the 'DB Addon

5. There is a rowboat option: just wondering why this is not mentioned

6. Both high and medium resolution have six different stylistic options available, but STEP does not mention any preference/recommendation. Maybe these are new since the last update I'm not sure since I've been using RWT2 on my regular install.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

Changed Enhanced Night Skyrim to the "Low Stars" option. The other options adds too many stars for STEP, IMO.

Update Moss Rocks to recommend the SMIM version.

Update Realistic Mushrooms to recommend the Low Res version.

Terrain Bump will remain the user's choice. No recommendation at this time.

Visible Windows has a BCF to install the old recommendations. A new evaluation to choose the most vanilla-friendly options should probably be done. I'll do this something later today or tomorrow and update the recommendations for MO users.

I've completely rewrote the recommendations for WATER. They should be up-to-date now (v1.87).

Thanks for looking at all this for us!

EDIT:

Updated the Visible Windows recommendations.

Changed Enhanced Night Skyrim to the "Low Stars" option. The other options adds too many stars for STEP, IMO.

Update Moss Rocks to recommend the SMIM version.

Update Realistic Mushrooms to recommend the Low Res version.

Terrain Bump will remain the user's choice. No recommendation at this time.

Visible Windows has a BCF to install the old recommendations. A new evaluation to choose the most vanilla-friendly options should probably be done. I'll do this something later today or tomorrow and update the recommendations for MO users.

I've completely rewrote the recommendations for WATER. They should be up-to-date now (v1.87).

Thanks for looking at all this for us!

EDIT:

Updated the Visible Windows recommendations.

Thank you tech, for taking this up. Tomorrow I'll continue with the other sections and will post some more things that I noticed here. There's no intention from my side that you or anyone should change it in STEP. But between the first time I installed STEP:Core (3 months ago) and now (being more experienced with modding) some of these things really stick out and it is sometimes the small things that may pose the big hurdles for the beginner/average modder. 

Anyways, you'll be hearing more from me tomorrow (if there is anything to report that is!).