STEP v2.2.7 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

I'm going through STEP 2.2.7 and at Dead Body Collision Fix... what is the recommended version? With the Fireball Spell or without?

It's up to you. The spell helps to eliminate dead bodies that might be blocking a path. Personally, I use the version without the spell and have never had an issue with being blocked by a body.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I went through Character & Creatures and Clothign & Equipment  using only STEP:Core mods. Here's what I noticed, do with it what you want :P

Bellyaches Animals & Creatures:

1. There is both a High-res and Medium-Res pack available. I suspect medium-res to be baseline.

2. There are different main files for Wrye Bash (with both hi-res and medium-res options). Again, rather obvious for most users, but for some it is handy that you mention to run that one instead (in case not using MO)

3. In miscellaneous files there is a “default animal replacement†package which is considerably smaller than the main files (which include more options) so it may be good to recommend users to install that file instead.

Cover Kahjits

The male and the female version of the 1024 optional file are packaged badly. Because there is no NMM/WB/FOMOD installer, users will need to run the 1024 optional file twice in order to install both male and female khajits. Or they can create some new folders and rename during the install.

Book of Silence

1. There are two hotfixes for 1.9 in the Optional Files section which almost all users likely will need to download as well.

2. A more detailed list of what to install would be really handy for Mod Organizer users, especially since it seems (imo) that more and more people favor using MO over WB lately. There’s a BCF for WB (I don’t know if the BCF is up-to-date for version 1.9 though) but MO users are left in the dark since none of the installers for Book of Silence has “default†options for any type of armor or weapons. For example, users can choose in Glass Armors the following: Golden, Steel Grey, Thalmorized, Variants. To me - and I’m sure it’s the same for a great part of the user base – it is not obvious which type is most consistent with Vanilla Skyrim and with the STEP philosophy. Moreover, Glass Variants adds an extra .esp whereas the other choices do not. Many users who install STEP haven’t fully played through the game so there is no way of knowing for them which choice represents the most consistent one. There are literally dozen such choices to make in all the Book of Silence packages.

For consistency’s sake and for simplifying STEP in general it would therefore be nice to have the STEP WIKI page on Book of Silence list which choices should be made. You could always recommend ‘Cabal’s Cut’, which is the easiest option :P 

4. Since 1.9, as you are all aware, there is now a Creature Package. What would be the STEP recommendation for this?

5. The STEP Wiki page mentions incompatibility between GDO and BoS Skyforge Weapons esp. First, BOSS now load GDO before the BoS Skyforgew Weapons esp so that conflict is gone. Second, there are however other issues caused by W&A Fixes Remade esp and by the W&A Fixes GDO Patch esp. Amidianborn Skyforge Weapons does not forward some of the changes made by W&A. Conflicting nodes are: 0009F25C/D/E/F, 0009F260. They aren’t really gamebreaking conflicts though.

Diverse Priests:

Because Bring out Your Dead is not used in STEP:Core, unaware users will run into a CTD if they install and enable all ESPs as recommened by STEP. A better recommendation would be to install all ESPs but to deactivate the BOYD patch until BOYD is installed.

Close Quivers and Longer Arrows

1. “normal quivers†is called “vanilla quivers†in the installer (obvious but still :p)

2. Under “conversion of other mods†in the installer, by default many options are checked for mods which are not in STEP. I’m not sure whether it is a problem to install all those compatibility meshes. My best guess is that it is not an issue since all of them (with exception of Book of Silence) are not replacers but instead seem to be mods which add armor/weapons to the game and therefore the compatibility meshes are not used until one of these mods are activated. Is this correct?

3. On the second screen of the installer, under the heading “bolt of torch arrow†, by default the compatibility for “Torch Arrows 1.3†is selected but this mod is not installed by STEP.

4. On the second screen of the installer, under the heading “crossbows basic collection by DJojo†, by default the compatibility for “DJjojo's Crossbows Basic Collection†is selected but this mod is not installed by STEP.

Elven Weapons for Silence

1. A BCF is available for WB but for MO users it is not clear which install options are preferred by STEP.

Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards

There is an option in the installer for Skyforge Weapons by Book of Silence, I suppose this should be enabled (it is diabled by default in the installer)

Improved closefaced helmets

1. Users could be reminded to now put the W&A Fixes Patch for ICH after ICH in the install order. In either WB or MO. Otherwise the .esps from ICH will not be overwritten by the W&A Fixes Patch.

2. The W&A Fixes Patch for ICH comes with 4 .esps but STEP ICH only uses 3 .esps. The esp called: imp_guard_helm.esp must be disabled or removed (unless ‘improved guard helmets – tighter eye holes’ option is also installed by the user).

Shield of Ysrgramor

In the installer is both a 1k and a 2k version.

Ultimate HD Torch

Wording could be made slightly more clear by saying “STEP recommends to also install optional less glowing cloth versionâ€

Sounds & Gameplay:

Better Bards

Users should make sure not to install the optional files esps that are included with the download. This is a (silly) mistake I made on my first install some months ago and it causes all NPC dialogue to have less pause between their lines as the esps affect a global variable.

Smooth Blades Draw and Sheath

In the 3rd screen of the FOMOD installer, there are 6 options which are disabled by default. Should some of these not be enabled by the STEP user? They concern the draw and weapon sheath replacement sound files for daggers, blades and enchanted weapons as well as some mute options.

Skyrim Flora Overhaul -> Use v185 Basic Edition.

Among those old versions?

yeah I didn't mention that one. It probably needs updating too, since 1.87 is out which is specifically tweaked for non-ENB skyrim setups. I'm using 1.87 and it looks really well with STEP. 

Alright I went through Character & Creatures and Clothign & Equipment  using only STEP:Core mods. Here's what I noticed, do with it what you want :P

Bellyaches Animals & Creatures:

1. There is both a High-res and Medium-Res pack available. I suspect medium-res to be baseline.

2. There are different main files for Wrye Bash (with both hi-res and medium-res options). Again, rather obvious for most users, but for some it is handy that you mention to run that one instead (in case not using MO)

3. In miscellaneous files there is a “default animal replacement” package which is considerably smaller than the main files (which include more options) so it may be good to recommend users to install that file instead.

Cover Kahjits

The male and the female version of the 1024 optional file are packaged badly. Because there is no NMM/WB/FOMOD installer, users will need to run the 1024 optional file twice in order to install both male and female khajits. Or they can create some new folders and rename during the install.

Book of Silence

1. There are two hotfixes for 1.9 in the Optional Files section which almost all users likely will need to download as well.

2. A more detailed list of what to install would be really handy for Mod Organizer users, especially since it seems (imo) that more and more people favor using MO over WB lately. There’s a BCF for WB (I don’t know if the BCF is up-to-date for version 1.9 though) but MO users are left in the dark since none of the installers for Book of Silence has “default” options for any type of armor or weapons. For example, users can choose in Glass Armors the following: Golden, Steel Grey, Thalmorized, Variants. To me - and I’m sure it’s the same for a great part of the user base – it is not obvious which type is most consistent with Vanilla Skyrim and with the STEP philosophy. Moreover, Glass Variants adds an extra .esp whereas the other choices do not. Many users who install STEP haven’t fully played through the game so there is no way of knowing for them which choice represents the most consistent one. There are literally dozen such choices to make in all the Book of Silence packages.

For consistency’s sake and for simplifying STEP in general it would therefore be nice to have the STEP WIKI page on Book of Silence list which choices should be made. You could always recommend ‘Cabal’s Cut’, which is the easiest option :P 

4. Since 1.9, as you are all aware, there is now a Creature Package. What would be the STEP recommendation for this?

5. The STEP Wiki page mentions incompatibility between GDO and BoS Skyforge Weapons esp. First, BOSS now load GDO before the BoS Skyforgew Weapons esp so that conflict is gone. Second, there are however other issues caused by W&A Fixes Remade esp and by the W&A Fixes GDO Patch esp. Amidianborn Skyforge Weapons does not forward some of the changes made by W&A. Conflicting nodes are: 0009F25C/D/E/F, 0009F260. They aren’t really gamebreaking conflicts though.

Diverse Priests:

Because Bring out Your Dead is not used in STEP:Core, unaware users will run into a CTD if they install and enable all ESPs as recommened by STEP. A better recommendation would be to install all ESPs but to deactivate the BOYD patch until BOYD is installed.

1. “normal quivers” is called “vanilla quivers” in the installer (obvious but still :p)

2. Under “conversion of other mods” in the installer, by default many options are checked for mods which are not in STEP. I’m not sure whether it is a problem to install all those compatibility meshes. My best guess is that it is not an issue since all of them (with exception of Book of Silence) are not replacers but instead seem to be mods which add armor/weapons to the game and therefore the compatibility meshes are not used until one of these mods are activated. Is this correct?

3. On the second screen of the installer, under the heading “bolt of torch arrow” , by default the compatibility for “Torch Arrows 1.3” is selected but this mod is not installed by STEP.

4. On the second screen of the installer, under the heading “crossbows basic collection by DJojo” , by default the compatibility for “DJjojo's Crossbows Basic Collection” is selected but this mod is not installed by STEP.

1. A BCF is available for WB but for MO users it is not clear which install options are preferred by STEP.

There is an option in the installer for Skyforge Weapons by Book of Silence, I suppose this should be enabled (it is diabled by default in the installer)

Improved closefaced helmets

1. Users could be reminded to now put the W&A Fixes Patch for ICH after ICH in the install order. In either WB or MO. Otherwise the .esps from ICH will not be overwritten by the W&A Fixes Patch.

2. The W&A Fixes Patch for ICH comes with 4 .esps but STEP ICH only uses 3 .esps. The esp called: imp_guard_helm.esp must be disabled or removed (unless ‘improved guard helmets – tighter eye holes’ option is also installed by the user).

Shield of Ysrgramor

In the installer is both a 1k and a 2k version.

Ultimate HD Torch

Wording could be made slightly more clear by saying “STEP recommends to also install optional less glowing cloth version”

Sounds & Gameplay:

Better Bards

Users should make sure not to install the optional files esps that are included with the download. This is a (silly) mistake I made on my first install some months ago and it causes all NPC dialogue to have less pause between their lines as the esps affect a global variable.

In the 3rd screen of the FOMOD installer, there are 6 options which are disabled by default. Should some of these not be enabled by the STEP user? They concern the draw and weapon sheath replacement sound files for daggers, blades and enchanted weapons as well as some mute options.

Bellyaches already recommends all this. You must not have read the mod table completely. :P

Cover Khajiits

I've fixed the file and made a FOMOD for it. I've included the file download location on its wiki page. The link will stay available until I can contact the author (who's message box seems to be full on Nexus).

Book of Silence

That list is there; however, I hid it because of it being out dated. I've restored the list and updated it with the STEP recommended options.

Diverse Priest

Fixed and updated the recommendations to the latest mod version.

Updated to latest mod version.

I've unmarked this as Core since it changes the vanilla (gold) textures to the black textures that matches the black eleven armor. STEP recommends the Gold eleven armor to stay consistent with vanilla. However, I still updated the recommendations.

Updated.

Improved Closefaced Helmets

Updated.

Shield of Ysrgramor

Updated on the mod table for Baseline. (1024)

Ultimate HD Torch

Updated.

Better Bards

Actually, the "No pause between lines" has always been STEP recommended option. Not sure when this was removed from the wiki page. I'll add it back in and we can fix it if it was removed for some reason that I can't remember. This is another mod that requires a FOMOD to install correctly. I've provided a corrected version with a FOMOD installer on the wiki page and have contacted the author to invite him to use the fix.

Updated. Install all options.

@ STEP Team,

Can someone please check to make sure all of our BCFs are up-to-date. I suspect many are outdated. If we're going to be offering them, they need to be kept updated. Else, I suggest that we just lay out the install options and stop offering BCFs altogether. I've already made MO the official mod manager for Mod Testing and from the hearsay from around the forums, STEP might be moving to officially support MO; leaving WB in the wind because of lack of development and many other reasons.

Side note: Jesus that was a lot of updating! Half the day is gone... Haha! Although, I probably went above and beyond with creating the FOMODs. Thanks for finding all of that, Nearox!

Thanks for all the hard work, tech. Agree that the BCFs should be updated, but I wold call upon members of the community to jump in and help with that as they discover they are outdated. Otherwise, I will get to them as I continue my STEP:Core install, but I never made it past Sec G during this last iteration.

We will continue to support use of both MO and WB, but we may increase the exposure to MO and how we use it in the future. It may well be that we will officially support the use of MO as the official STEP mod manager, but until I become more familiar with it, I can't talk too loudly about advocating it. The server will likely be moved to the new hardware this evening, which will be a big task that we no longer need to worry about or manage (well, accept for the VMs to support dev).

Expect the site to be down for an hour or so at some point this evening if all goes as planned.

Thanks for all the hard work, tech. Agree that the BCFs should be updated, but I wold call upon members of the community to jump in and help with that as they discover they are outdated. Otherwise, I will get to them as I continue my STEP:Core install, but I never made it past Sec G during this last iteration.

We will continue to support use of both MO and WB, but we may increase the exposure to MO and how we use it in the future. It may well be that we will officially support the use of MO as the official STEP mod manager, but until I become more familiar with it, I can't talk too loudly about advocating it. The server will likely be moved to the new hardware this evening, which will be a big task that we no longer need to worry about or manage (well, accept for the VMs to support dev).

Expect the site to be down for an hour or so at some point this evening if all goes as planned.

Sweet! It might be a good idea to send out an quick and short email explaining the downtime. I'm currently working on a FOMOD for Soul Gems Differ that will be only for STEP (working just like the BCF). I could do one that covers the entire mod but not until it's requested. For now this FOMOD will cover us here at STEP that use MO. All I have left to do is test it.